View Full Version : Bought a Blackberry !

miffed
21st April 2012, 11:04 AM
I was up until last night, a one phone man. I'd recently cleared out pretty much everything I had , as it was getting silly , drawers full of phones, chargers, leads , manuals ,boxes etc. I'd left most of them far to long beyond the point that I'd get a good return on them , so I ebayed the lot, I even sold my iPhone 4 , as there is no way I could go back to a smaller screen for a main device !

Trouble is , this left me with two contracts (one number I actually do use !) without handsets , I looked ad cheapie phones , came VERY close to buying a Lumia 710 now CPW are selling them for £130. then last night my daughter let on that she was selling her Blackberry Bold 9700 for £50 - it works fine but is in cosmetically poor condition - since I only needed it to recieve calls I told her I'd have it , thinking I could get it unlocked for £10 at the little shop near me. I was pleasantly surprised to find I could unlock it for FREE via IMEI code (anyone remember those days ? ) First website I tried the code was given to me instantly and worked fine - Cool !

Stage two , logged on to O2's site to get the account Blackberry "ready" - Again was pleasantly surprised that it was simply a case of swapping bolt ons , took less than a minute and saved me £4 PM in the process - coolio ! Won't switch over till 10th May (as per billing period) but thats fine. I recall a time when such a procedure would require sitting on hold and giving my security details over and over again to some CS rep who is not sure what they are doing.

Strange thing is ... I thought a Blackberry without the correct Service plan was essentially useless ? I am finding that even with Wifi switched off I tam able to surf the net, access twitter etc - I am not able to use email , BBM or facebook though - at least I am able to use it crudely while I wait for the BB thing to activate on my account.

As for the experience - Well I have to say it is bizarre , its almost like stepping into a time machine ! It feels very much like the "pre smartphone" feature phones of yesteryear ! RIM have gone out of their way to make using the thing as confusing and difficult to follow - it even makes Symbian seem intuitive and transparent !
Of course it will suit my needs and a Phone , and its always interesting to use a platform you have no experience of .... but I simply do not understand how on earth these things sell ? I realise the 9700 is not the latest model , but I think I am right in saying that it is not particularly outdated either. I paid £50 for it, but a quick google suggest this was a £400 device on launch , really ?.... £400 ? I can't imagine how anyone could hand over £400 , get one of these and be pleased with the transaction.

Maybe its because I'm not a teenager ?

hecatae
21st April 2012, 01:30 PM
everyone i know who used to have a blackberry now has an iphone,
same as everyone who used to be on facebook is now on twitter.

I have tried to use a blackberry before, handed it back to my stepfather, who only uses it for calls and texts...

miffed
21st April 2012, 07:22 PM
Pretty much what mine will get used for , certainly wouldn't want to try and surf the net on it !

As I said earlier , it is in poor condition cosmetically (sound screen) .... so I splashed out £8 or so on this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-Housing-Cover-Case-Faceplate-Blackberry-Bold-9780-9700-/300695433732?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesP ouches&hash=item4602d83204#ht_3220wt_1439

Yeah I imagine it will be poor quality , but might tart it up a tad , and I'll have fun tearing it apart :)

Hands0n
21st April 2012, 07:24 PM
Some may remember my "experiment" a year or so ago, coming off an iPhone 3GS and switching to a Blackberry Bold 9500 (I think that was it) for six weeks. It was agony, eventually I got used to it but it never felt "right". Coming back to the iPhone afterwards was a bit traumatic, I had to literally re-learn how to use it all over again. Not technically, but practically, I had gotten out of the habit despite not enjoying the BB experience.

solo12002
21st April 2012, 09:52 PM
I have to say Im a blackberry fan but at the end of the day you get what you pay for and not every one has the cash to buy an Iphone every year. I agree BB has lost part of the market as I think they could of went touch screen ages ago rather than try to do both on 2.4 inch screens, the other thing is years ago BB was used for email etc nowdays most smart phones will have an email app in it and you no longer need to buy a BB add on at £5 a month. My problem is I find making calls and texting on touch screen so dam slow

miffed
22nd April 2012, 08:18 AM
Really ? I can text much faster, and more effortlessly on either an android or iOS phone. That said I've been using them since day one so that may be a factor.
Not sure I get the price thing ? My daughter replaced the one I've now got with a Bold 9900 and it appears to be (aside from the inclusion of a touchscreen ) pretty much the same - and from what I can gather this is a £500 device ? Even if I come round to the merits of the Blackberry I just can't get my head around this being >= than an iPhone , Galaxy S2 or even a WP. I can see perhaps the lower end (curve ?) may come into play here , but even then at around £150 I would currently pick a lumia 710 or a Huawei Ascend over one.
Perhaps you touched on the crux with the keyboard thing ? this has become somewhat of a USP for Blackberry , others try to copy this and RIM's influence sticks out like a sore thumb ! But despite their efforts the only clone that appears any good appears to be the Nokia E series .... Had an E61 and loved it ! But this was pre-iPhone revolution admittedly.

Anyway , found one positive - battery life seems eternal ! ...old battery , been running for 36 hours with heavy use (setting up ,updating etc). 60% remaining :)

Oh , and another negative - Blackberry app world .... Jesus its expensive ! £5 for Pacman ????

Hands0n
22nd April 2012, 02:30 PM
@solo12002 - the key to fast typing on a touchscreen smartphone is to use both thumbs. My lad can outstrip me using a single thumb, but I really cannot get up to speed, so two thumbs it is. After a short while it all becomes very natural, as with all stuff like this.

Making calls is a funny one - it really is all about making good use of the OS itself. The phone app (in both iOS and Android) has a Favourites list that you can populate with your favourite contacts. Then there is Contacts search, faster than anything I've used before. But if you really want speed there are apps and means of pinning Contacts on to your smartphone's home screens using the likes of http://speedtouchapp.com/ for iOS for instance.

Sajjad Rahman
22nd April 2012, 04:30 PM
I tried using the Blackberry phone, did not like it , my younger brother uses it for sms and calls.