View Full Version : 6630 and different access points

Marcwic
1st April 2005, 07:37 PM
What is the difference between "Contract WAP" and "Contract Internet". Why do they have two different access points? I know WAP only works via one, and email only works by the other. Just wondored why this was. When querying my bill the customer services person hinted they were charged differently (but then backtracked and said that was a mistake).

Ben
1st April 2005, 08:01 PM
Orange do a very similar thing with theirs. I think most of my things are set up to use Orange Internet as opposed to Orange WAP and it seems to work fine. I'm glad they backtracked on saying the access points were changed differently - that would have been really confusing!

I can only imagine that the Internet access point is intended for using the phone as a modem and for checking email etc. The WAP access point would logically be just for WAP pages. Whether these allow the network to differentiate between the two and optimise each so they perform better I'm not sure - but 3g-g might know!

*trundles off in search of 3g-g*

Jon3G
1st April 2005, 11:50 PM
Orange do a very similar thing with theirs. I think most of my things are set up to use Orange Internet as opposed to Orange WAP and it seems to work fine. I'm glad they backtracked on saying the access points were changed differently - that would have been really confusing!

I can only imagine that the Internet access point is intended for using the phone as a modem and for checking email etc. The WAP access point would logically be just for WAP pages. Whether these allow the network to differentiate between the two and optimise each so they perform better I'm not sure - but 3g-g might know!

*trundles off in search of 3g-g*

In a nutshell you are right

Contract Wap is for Wap use
Contract internet is for using the phone as a modem or using Opera browers on the phone or Agile msger.

Ben
1st April 2005, 11:53 PM
I wonder what the technical difference is, and why it's necessary to treat WAP browsing and standard net browsing differently?

Jon3G
1st April 2005, 11:58 PM
no charging difference, however Live browsing is Free and that maybe why

3g-g
2nd April 2005, 10:18 AM
Hello all,

You're all on the right lines.

The only reason there's two different access points is because you're accessing two diffenent things. The WAP access point points towards the WAP server the network has located alongside it's MSCs and BSCs, on their switch floor.

The internet access point will point you towards the GGSN which is what monitors all your little data packets being routed out onto the IP fluffy cloud that is the internet. The GGSN controls the SGSN which is what supplies your GPRS connection etc.

In a sense they're all integrated, as your WAP is probably over GPRS also, the only thing is some packets stay within the network and some head out.

Marcwic
2nd April 2005, 07:28 PM
Hello all,

You're all on the right lines.

The only reason there's two different access points is because you're accessing two diffenent things. The WAP access point points towards the WAP server the network has located alongside it's MSCs and BSCs, on their switch floor.

The internet access point will point you towards the GGSN which is what monitors all your little data packets being routed out onto the IP fluffy cloud that is the internet. The GGSN controls the SGSN which is what supplies your GPRS connection etc.

In a sense they're all integrated, as your WAP is probably over GPRS also, the only thing is some packets stay within the network and some head out.

Thanks for answering my question. Seems odd as some WAP pages are on the net as well (wap.yahoo.com for example) but I really don't have any clue how it works.
It's just annoying my 6630 will not let me use both at once - e.g. have msn running in the background, and check the news on the BBC's WAP site. Also, WAP won't work with "contact internet" and email wont work on "contract wap" on my phone - but when i dial using a PDA and the phone's bluetooth modem (*99#) i can view both types of page on the PDA! Strange old world!

3g-g
3rd April 2005, 01:15 AM
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I regularly have my internet GPRS setting running MSN and an Orange World home page.. Am I reading you correctly, you have MSN running on your 6630? I wasn't aware the hanset had that on it unless you were accessing it via a WAP page...

Marcwic
3rd April 2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I regularly have my internet GPRS setting running MSN and an Orange World home page.. Am I reading you correctly, you have MSN running on your 6630? I wasn't aware the hanset had that on it unless you were accessing it via a WAP page...
I use a free app called Agile Messenger, works a treat, its better than the MS Mobile version (i use agile on my PocketPC too) it supports emotions, data counter, and voice messages. Google "Agile messenger Symbian".

Ben
3rd April 2005, 08:59 PM
Ah yes, Agile Messenger. I absolutely can't wait to try this out on my 6680! (note that I've started talking about it as if I actually have one.... hurry up Orange!)

Jon3G
5th April 2005, 04:53 PM
agile msg is very good and stable

Ben
5th April 2005, 05:09 PM
I take it Agile connects to your normal MSN account and brings up all your existing contacts etc? Is it hard to manipulate it on a mobile phone?

Jon3G
5th April 2005, 09:20 PM
it justs looks like MSN, apart from you cant file transfer

Jon3G
5th April 2005, 09:21 PM
it also manages muliple chats too

Marcwic
7th April 2005, 07:56 PM
I take it Agile connects to your normal MSN account and brings up all your existing contacts etc? Is it hard to manipulate it on a mobile phone?

It's designed for Symbian OS, so its as easy to use as any other app. It also supports AOL and ICQ. It downloads your contacts when you sign in (so trim it if like me you had hundreds of people on it you never spoke to).