View Full Version : 02 readies i-mode for Christmas

3GScottishUser
30th June 2005, 11:09 AM
From Mobile (29/06/2005):

O2 has said it intends to launch its long-awaited i-mode service in time for Christmas this year.

The as-yet-unnamed service will offer content geared towards information rather than entertainment. The operator is currently in discussion with banks and transport companies about finance and travel information services respectively. O2 customers will be able to access the services directly by pressing a dedicated ‘i’ button on their handsets.

As yet no specific handsets have been named, although the network will need to bring out new, i-mode-enabled devices for customers who want to access the service. The operator has previously said that Alcatel, LG, Motorola, Sagem, Panasonic, Siemens and Samsung all manufacture suitable devices.

Keen to distance the new service from its current, Wap-based O2 Active portal, O2 said i-mode is quicker to load, easier to use and, crucially, will work straight out-of-the-box without the configuration currently required for WAP. Jag Minhas, O2’s chief i-mode architect, said: ‘Our aim is to make data services as simple to use as voice.’

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/artman-test/publish/article_497.shtml

getti
30th June 2005, 04:07 PM
Imode certanly looks a good idea and its nice to see it finally coming to the UK. It was due to be on Three until they refused to have it. That causes NTT DoCoMo to sell its stake in Three and look elsewhere.

Just how good it will be is yet to be seen. Lucky for me though running a 3G review site and having good contacts within the PR teams i should be able to get info on which phones will be out here and should be able to get some for reviwing later in the year

bagpuss102002
2nd July 2005, 09:13 PM
three refused it why it looks like the b's and e's so to speak and for once not that im complaining they mite be able to get away with actually charging for a handset

tednol
17th July 2005, 12:09 PM
Sorry to express my ignorance, but will Imode require a dedicated handset? I ordered the Samsung Z500 on O2 yesterday - when O2 releases it's Imode service will that be enough to access it?

3GScottishUser
17th July 2005, 12:53 PM
i-mode generally has dedicated handsets but you should'nt worry too much as 02 active and open internet access on the Z500 will mean that there will be nothing much that you'll be missing when i-mode is launched.