+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HTC Desire Ruined by Orange Branding

Blog Entries

Angry HTC Desire Ruined by Orange Branding

** See Update below **

Well no surprise there I suppose. It really baffles me why Orange insist on buggering up a perfect good handset with their inane branding.

This time the victim is the brand new HTC Desire. Honestly, the folk at HTC must be looking on with complete incredulity.

At first glance the Orange-supplied HTC Desire looks pretty much the same as a standard Desire. The Sense UI is there and seems to function perfectly well. But it is only when you start digging in a bit deeper that you start to find that something is not quite right.

GTalk - the Google Talk app is missing. Yes, on an Android handset, there is no Google Talk app, although if you use something like Taskiller you will see that there is a GTalk task running. You cannot install GTalk from Android Market either.

At this time there appears to be no easy way of getting the GTalk app back. Certainly not without loading up a standard HTC Desire ROM, if you can find one. It won't be a trivial job though. The Desire is not yet rootable (I read so far) and needs to have a Gold Card prepared before trying to load up a new ROM.

Orange have crippled gtalk on their branded version of the HTC Desire. They have replaced it with their own branded MSN messenger. The main problem is that gtalk is a key part of the o/s - so when you click to IM someone on maps, email, contacts etc it just doesn't work on the Orange branded version. They have not done this on previous android devices, so I'm not sure why they have started now, it seems ill thought through. Gtalk and MSN messenger use different accounts so you cannot use your google credentials on MSN messenger. MSN messenger is not integrated to the OS (as gtalk is) so a lot of functionality breaks on the phone.

URL: http://www.adambowie.com/weblog/archive/002925.html
    Orange Apps - the handset is littered with lots of Orange trial apps, no doubt wanting you to spend more of your hard earned on their suggested rubbish. And no, you cannot uninstall these using the standard Android means. So your Programs panel is absolutely littered with this junk obscuring any apps that you have installed for your own use.

This is all really quite tiresome.

If you are an Orange happy bunny then you will not be too bothered about any of this. But if you are expecting a standard HTC Desire to match either a SIM free or unbranded handset from the likes of Vodafone, O2 and 3 then you will be very disappointed. T-Mobile also heavily brand theirs.

So the advice to anyone really keen for a Desire just be aware of what you may be letting yourself in for.

**Update**
    This has turned into a bit of a de-branding thread
    The primary resources for de-branding the HTC Desire (on any UK network) can be located here --> http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...-t-mo-handset/
    The above link will give you the basic steps and links to de-brand an HTC Desire back to the factory condition.
    There are, however, some pitfalls - see the posting further down this thread relating to ensuring that HTC Sync is installed on your Windows PC before attempting to run the RUU installer. Chances are that the process will fail to work otherwise.
    Last edited by Hands0n; 16th April 2010 at 10:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Blog Entries

So much progress and yet nothing has changed. The epic struggle against becoming the inevitable dumb pipe continues.

At least Apple have the balls to stand up to the operators. Hardware manufacturers, for the love of god, just say NO!

Blog Entries

I have been researching de-branding the HTC Desire on Orange (and T-Mobile incidentally, the process is the same). There are several threads out there, XDA forum is for the more familiar, but Modaco also has a good few threads on the topic.

The clue, people, is Gold Card and an RUU file with the Bravo ROM 1.15.405.4 code on it. The Bravo ROM is cited to work fine on the Desire.

The only problem that some may face is that there is currently no way back to the Orange ROM should you need to for warranty or repair purposes. De-branding your Orange HTC Desire will leave you high and dry. Orange will not help you under any circumstances if they either find out or suspect that you have de-branded.

DBMandrake
    DBMandrake is offlineRegular Poster DBMandrake will become famous soon enough DBMandrake will become famous soon enough

This is all really quite tiresome.
    Another good reason to buy an unsubsidised, unbranded (and unlocked) handset to use on a SIM only plan, no ?

Say no to crappy branding of phones and long 24 month contract lock-ins by simply buying the phone upfront SIM free.

Costs more upfront sure, but costs less over the lifetime of the phone, and no contract lock-in. (For example if you move house and can't get a signal from that network any longer, switch networks easily while keeping your phone, or if you lose your job you don't have the commitment of an expensive contract to pay for 2 years that will ruin your credit rating if you can't pay it)

The choice is there in most cases for those who are not lured by the false economy of the low upfront cost of a contract...

Blog Entries

The lad had enough, he finally cracked and brought his Orange-branded Desire round tonight to let the old Pa do the deed

Creating the Gold Card was easy enough. Just for safety I re-created one using his HTC Desire - the last thing we want is to brick the handset and give me another 24 hours work to get it back!

Running the RUU file we encountered a problem when the handset booted to the bootloader - it came up on the handset but the PC reported a USB connection fault! We tried several different things but none worked. More research required ....

Long story short, we needed to install HTC Sync software that loads up a ton of USB drivers and stuff into the PC. Having done that, we started up HTC Sync and then ran the RUU which went through its motions and completed successfully. Within about ten minutes the update to Bravo ROM 1.15.405.4 was completed.
    Software%20Info.png Home%20Screen.png

kdub87
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    kdub87 is offlineNew to Talk3G kdub87 is on a distinguished road

i hope you can help me, iv been having the same usb connection error all night, at the end of my tether hope you can help, what steps did u take exactly?

Blog Entries

Hi @kdub87, welcome to Talk3G.

You should install HTC Sync - it should have been in the root of your Desire SD Card. If not you can download a copy from HTC's support page here http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportViewNew...33&news_id=627

Then install HTC Sync, start it up, and then plug in your HTC Desire - wait for it to be recognised by HTC Sync (watch the app's status bar until it says that the handset is connected).

At this point I am not sure if you should shut down HTC Sync or not. I left it running and then went to Windows Explorer and navigated to the location where I had stored the RUU file. I then double-clicked the RUU file, answered the dialogue boxes and then it set about installing the RUU. First the Radio is installed, then a reboot of the handset following which the main Android OS will be installed. Another reboot and the handset will come up in the unbranded generic HTC Bravo firmware.

I would suggest perhaps rebooting your PC before doing any of the above - just to remove any "stuff" that may be hanging around in memory.

Hope this helps. Do let us know

kdub87
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

tried all of that :s dying to just enjoy it but i cant until this is done as anything i install and configure will be lost when i eventually succeed lol soo frustrated

Blog Entries

What exact error are you getting?

kdub87
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

error 171 usb connection error, think its something to do with my drivers, im on windows 7 also

Blog Entries

Yup, thats what I was getting. It is most definitely a drivers problem. When the handset reboots to the bootloader the Windows 7 PC needs to have the correct drivers available for the USB connection to re-establish. Prior to installing HTC Sync Windows 7 was using some generic drivers for the SD Card and the SDK drivers for the comms to the handset with its OS running. But when bootloader loads it presents itself as yet another USB device - I noticed that the first time (after I'd installed HTC Sync) as the bootloader screen came up the Windows 7 PC installed yet another set of drivers for the "new" USB device.

I think you're very close - there is going to be some combination of having HTC Sync running at the same time as you're performing the RUU installer, or not.

I did my work on a Windows 7 Netbook (Samsung NC10), so I guess we're doing this on pretty close comparison of hardware and OS.

kdub87
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

iv finally got the rom on, was my gold card all along i think, now though my weather isnt working at all :s will not find my city although it did before on the tmobile rom, it lists smaller cities around me but not mine! is there any way to manually add my city as its not in the list

Blog Entries

Nice that you got the RUU update sorted out. Curious that you'd get the USB error, but hey, I suppose none of this is an exact science

Thats interesting. I checked on my Nexus One and in the Weather settings you can actually enter a City or Postal Code. Also you are able to set it to detect where you are "Use my location". I'm presuming then that is not the same on the Desire/Bravo.

I just got my lad to check on his Desire and he is able to find our local town - it is not a major one, and usually we find only London and Maidstone as the nearest towns to our actual location in North Kent. But in this case our town is listed, although he cannot set it as the default.

I don't have the handset in front of me so can't really offer more than that. Sorry.

Hatticus
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    Hatticus is offlineNew to Talk3G Hatticus is on a distinguished road

Question

Got my lovely Orange branded Desire on Saturday. I'd exchange it for another network but doubt I'd get as good a deal anywhere else. Plus I can't be bothered to make the effort...

I'll probably be attempting to dump all the Orange crap next weekend, but just wanted to get some stuff clear in my head before hand.

I'll be using this Bravo RUU: http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...-t-mo-handset/

This site is pretty useful for setting up a Goldcard, so will follow those instructions.

My main question is about the Micro SD cards. My Desire came with one (4GB I think...). If I take this out, and make the Goldcard using a spare 1GB card I've got knocking around, can I then put the 4GB card back into the phone once it's flashed?

Will there be any problems/issues with the Bravo RUU (as opposed to a Desire one)?

Blog Entries

Hi there Hatticus, welcome to Talk3G.

You won't go wrong following the instructions on Modaco's pages - but do make sure that you note the info on here about the need to install HTC Sync at the outset.

The Gold Card is only used to help you bypass the mechanism that prevents you installing a Bravo RUU on to the handset. The routine only writes somewhere around 512bytes of information to the SD card, so a 1GB card is more than sufficient. Please make sure you format the SD card to FAT32 as per the instructions. I don't know if the FAT format will cause any issues, but the instructions say FAT32 so follow that to avoid potential problems.

Once you have the handset updated to the Bravo ROM you can put your original 4GB card back and use the handset as normal.

In use my lad has not experienced any problems with the Bravo RUU. The Bravo is in fact the Desire, apparently HTC renamed it on release http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3146...nounced-at-mwc .

Hatticus
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

Thanks for the welcome!

Your post pretty much summed up my understanding, just wanted to double check before I started to mess around with my shiny new toy! From the instructions I've read it seems pretty straight forward, so will give it a go when I've dug out the SD card!

Just one thing I did notice, Orange do state in their T&C's that using instant messengers is not permitted - I think it's all part of their ploy to get people to use the messenger they stuck on the Desire (which I guess there'd be an extra charge using)

Blog Entries

@Hatticus - yup, you're pretty much got it right there re Orange and the use of instant messengers. Theirs is probably the most prohibitive network in the UK, unless someone can offer differently Not my cup of tea at all. But I'm reasonably sure you'll be getting a real buzz from the unfettered HTC Desire. My lad says that everything about it is so much improved - faster, all the standard HTC Android apps, longer battery life even.

Do let us know how you get on with it after the branding. Also note kdub87's troubles loading up the Bravo ROM. It was chucking up USB errors but turned out to be the SD Card itself!!! If you have any issues that you can't work around any other way then try and grab hold of another make/size of SD card. I suspect that a small (smaller than 1GB) card would work just as well given the tiny amount of data that goes to make up the Gold Card itself, approx 512bytes (yes, bytes!!)

Hatticus
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

QuoteOriginally Posted by Hands0n View Post
    @Hatticus - yup, you're pretty much got it right there re Orange and the use of instant messengers. Theirs is probably the most prohibitive network in the UK, unless someone can offer differently Not my cup of tea at all.
    I wasn't aware of that part of their T&Cs when I signed up (my fault I guess), but like I mentioned, I got a pretty good deal on the tariff so I'm not too bothered. Fingers crossed that a bit of using GTalk will go unnoticed...

Would have loved to buy a SIM free handset, but at the moment I can't justify a £300+ outlay up front

I've noticed that the battery life isn't amazing (it's my first smart-phone so I have nothing to compare it with), so any boost there wouldn't hurt! Although I realise that the Desire is going to be more battery-intensive than a lot of phones.

Blog Entries

Hi Hatticus!

Ah, congrats on the first smartphone. Battery life is certainly more of an issue than on dumbphones. If it lasts all day and charges all night then you're about par for the course!

Hatticus
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

Quick couple of questions:

1. Do I do the flash with my Orange SIM card in the phone? Or out of the phone?
    2. I've read some stuff over on xda-dev about one of the generic ROMS being a Virgin one, is this the case for the one from MoDaCo?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast