Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews  

Go Back   Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews > Talk3G Links to Other Sites and Resources > Other Technology & OT Discussion

Other Technology & OT Discussion Dedicated area for chat about other technologies and personal interests.

Old 25th November 2007, 11:18 PM
Not a slave to Spec

miffed is a jewel in the roughmiffed is a jewel in the roughmiffed is a jewel in the roughmiffed is a jewel in the rough
DefaultSky Router trouble

I am having real problems with my Wireless router

It is a Sky Netgear thingy (looks nice ) - The trouble is , the wireless side of thing seems to cut out 4 times an hour (roughly ) , anywhere between 30 seconds and 5 minutes each time - It appears the wired side of things still works

I really don't have the heart to sit through a fault analysis procedure at the mercy of Sky at the moment , so am wondering , If I bought a second wireless router (not a modem) - would I be able to link this to my existing one, and use the modem properties of my Netgear through the new wireless router?

I should mention that the obvious answer (go out and by a new one) isn't possible ,as the login details are hard coded into the Sky router & you can't see them

As you may have guessed , I don't have a clue with these things so any help is appreciated !
Old 26th November 2007, 01:44 AM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

A good starting point is the independent Sky users forum (BB) here http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/

It is possible to reclaim the userid and password for your router and use it on one of your own selection. The forum has details, and there are plenty of very experienced users' comments on there to help you out.

Edit:
Specifically: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...tions-faq.html
Old 26th November 2007, 10:41 AM
Regular Poster

mob453 will become famous soon enough

found this

Quote:
http://www.philipnicosia.com/2006/10...-and-password/
Quote:
In a previous post I mentioned that someone at Skyuser.co.uk had figured out a way to find out your Sky Username and Password which is hidden within the router. This involved flashing the software of the router with a new version from Netgear. Whilst not difficult it might not be for the faint hearted.

Someone else has come up with a much easier way and quicker way of finding out this information. All you need to is log into your Sky router by typing into your browser 192.168.0.1 and then entering in the username admin and password sky.

The next step is to enter the following url into your browser

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=pi...ww/netgear.cfg

Once you have done that enter in http://192.168.0.1/netgear.cfg and save the file to your pc. Open the file with a text editor such as Wordpad and you will see your Sky Username and Password listed.

With this you will be able to use a different router other than the Sky provided Netgear one.

If you want to use your Sky router on another providers broadband then you would have to flash the software as mentioned earlier to get access to the Username and password fields you would need to enter your existing details in.

If you want to see what else you can do with your Sky router then visit NETGEAR DG834GT Hacking
Old 26th November 2007, 11:19 AM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

If you've got a free ethernet port on the router then you could, in theory, buy a wireless access point and hook it up to create a second WLAN.
Old 26th November 2007, 11:30 AM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

There are a lot of issues with the incumbent router firmware. It is widely reported that Sky are working on a wholesale over-the-wire update. Noone knows when yet.
Old 12th December 2007, 11:56 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

How has your router been since your troubles? Behaving itself is it? I'm on my 3rd Cable Modem in 7 years

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode