Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews  

Go Back   Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews > Talk3G Handsets and Other Devices > Nokia 3G > Nokia 6680
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2005, 08:01 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

3GScottishUser is a jewel in the rough3GScottishUser is a jewel in the rough3GScottishUser is a jewel in the rough3GScottishUser is a jewel in the rough
Arrow 3 call dropping solution for 6680/30

Well, well, well it appears that the same old problems are giving 6630/80 customers a problem when used on the 3 network.

Here's one workaround and reference posted on e-bay.

"The Nokia 6630 and the 6680 are great phones but have a few problems if you buy a Three network badged version.

Most networks customise their phones to offer specific menu features in a way they like but most of them also withhold certian menu features.

On most modern Nokia's there should be a network selection menu whereby you can search for new networks and select which band the phone will operate on ie GSM or WCDMA.

Please note that from now on when I refer to WCDMA I am referring to the 3G network operated by Three and likewise GSM will refer to the backup network used by Three which is O2."

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Worth a try if you are experiencing the 'call dropping and failure owners have reported to date.

You can also download (and install at your own risk) a version of this software below.

Last edited by 3GScottishUser : 21st July 2005 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Outdated link
Old 19th July 2005, 08:16 PM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of light

AFAIK you can force your Series 60 handset to GSM using this utility: http://www.symbian-freak.com/quides/netmon.htm

DONT pay for something you don't need to!
Old 19th July 2005, 08:18 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

3GScottishUser is a jewel in the rough3GScottishUser is a jewel in the rough3GScottishUser is a jewel in the rough3GScottishUser is a jewel in the rough

Interesting that the need for this seems to have arisen again.

Perhaps it was to be expected.
Old 20th July 2005, 12:31 AM

TheBrit will become famous soon enough

Of course it was expected as there is no "handover" to O2 GSM network when leaving a 3 W-CDMA cell.

With Orange (and probably the other networks) the handover of a call from one technology to the other is seamless.
Old 20th July 2005, 12:58 AM
Darth Moderator

Hands0n is a glorious beacon of lightHands0n is a glorious beacon of lightHands0n is a glorious beacon of lightHands0n is a glorious beacon of lightHands0n is a glorious beacon of lightHands0n is a glorious beacon of light

Clearly Three have some severe network problems in areas. I, personally, have not suffered too badly in the North Kent area and during this year I have had a successful 3G voice call from Dover to Gravesend uninterrupted - albeit along the A2/M2/A2. I have, of course, found holes in the area, but then I have found holes in Orange, Vodafone and easyMobile (T-Mobile MVNO) also.

I'll not be an apologist for Three - they are losing my business after Jan '06 - and they have had quite long enough to resolve many of their incumbent issues. They are also barking up very many wrong trees in my opinion.

It is therefore very encouraging to see that the Mobile hacking community is alive and well, and exploiting the very Internet that Three show such distain for in distributing software to release Three's users from the shackles of poor/inadequate 3G coverage and get around the usual Crippling ... oops I mean Branding.
Old 20th July 2005, 05:54 PM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic
Forcing it to stay on GSM is still crap. Locking it to O2 allows you to use free internet over GPRS, which is better then the shitty three network internet.
The Nokia 6630 and 6680 cannot be unlocked yet (unless 3 users pay them about £115 for a code) so this is the best solution currently available. Forcing the handset to stay on GSM at least prevents call drops when moving out of a 3G area. If you want your Three UK handset for cheap calls and cheap texts, this is probably a good way to go.

Last edited by Ben : 20th July 2005 at 05:58 PM. Reason: NOTE: User has since deleted his post.
Old 20th July 2005, 06:00 PM
Talk3G Senior Contributor

Jon3G has a spectacular aura aboutJon3G has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands0n
Clearly Three have some severe network problems in areas. I, personally, have not suffered too badly in the North Kent area and during this year I have had a successful 3G voice call from Dover to Gravesend uninterrupted - albeit along the A2/M2/A2. I have, of course, found holes in the area, but then I have found holes in Orange, Vodafone and easyMobile (T-Mobile MVNO) also.

I'll not be an apologist for Three - they are losing my business after Jan '06 - and they have had quite long enough to resolve many of their incumbent issues. They are also barking up very many wrong trees in my opinion.

It is therefore very encouraging to see that the Mobile hacking community is alive and well, and exploiting the very Internet that Three show such distain for in distributing software to release Three's users from the shackles of poor/inadequate 3G coverage and get around the usual Crippling ... oops I mean Branding.

How do you get Free internet on 3 while roaming on 02
Old 20th July 2005, 06:25 PM
Talk3G Admin

You can't.
Old 20th July 2005, 06:25 PM
Darth Moderator

Hands0n is a glorious beacon of lightHands0n is a glorious beacon of lightHands0n is a glorious beacon of lightHands0n is a glorious beacon of lightHands0n is a glorious beacon of lightHands0n is a glorious beacon of light

Errrr, I meant that the Mobile hacking community are exploiting The Internet to distribute their wares rather than getting around Three's walled garden. Thats what I meant
Old 21st July 2005, 12:44 AM
Talk3G Super Mod

It would appear that the link to the file that can lock the 66XX series was deleted and I amended my post above accordingly.

Good news..... I have been able to upload the file here so if you need it just click on the download icon below and enjoy.

Please provide some feedback and remember that you use the software at your OWN risk!
Attached Files
66XX Lock 2 2G.zip (69.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 21st July 2005, 12:56 AM
Talk3G Admin

Great stuff!

I'm just going to add, for the sake of emphasising this point again, that forcing your handset to use the 2G network will mean several things.

Firstly, some services may cost you more - check your tariff. Also, you wont be able to access all the 3 services - you'll be presented with the limited Voice and Picture Area selection. Lastly, there's no guarantee that 3 wont pick up on your pure 2G usage and ask/force you to return your handset to the normal dual operating mode.

Software like this is used at your own risk and only if you actually need it.
Old 21st July 2005, 01:15 AM
Talk3G Super Mod

Agreed but if used sensibly most folks should be fine with this 'workaround' as 3 have a fairly limited geographic coverage even although their population coverage is still the highest of any 3G network. Remember that there are huge areas of Scotland and Wales with no 3 network but with 3 customers using 02's network almost exclusively.

Hope the advice and the resource is of some help and look forward to some feedback.
Old 22nd July 2005, 07:37 PM
Regular Poster

cyberkid999 can only hope to improve
Default wrong info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GScottishUser
It would appear that the link to the file that can lock the 66XX series was deleted and I amended my post above accordingly.

Good news..... I have been able to upload the file here so if you need it just click on the download icon below and enjoy.

Please provide some feedback and remember that you use the software at your OWN risk!

the instructions you have given are not totally correct in that to go back to Dual Mode you do NOT need to run the program again as you can do it from the normal Network menu.
Old 22nd July 2005, 07:42 PM
Regular Poster

Default updated link

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GScottishUser
Well, well, well it appears that the same old problems are giving 6630/80 customers a problem when used on the 3 network.

Here's one workaround and reference posted on e-bay.

"The Nokia 6630 and the 6680 are great phones but have a few problems if you buy a Three network badged version.

Most networks customise their phones to offer specific menu features in a way they like but most of them also withhold certian menu features.

On most modern Nokia's there should be a network selection menu whereby you can search for new networks and select which band the phone will operate on ie GSM or WCDMA.

Please note that from now on when I refer to WCDMA I am referring to the 3G network operated by Three and likewise GSM will refer to the backup network used by Three which is O2."

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Worth a try if you are experiencing the 'call dropping and failure owners have reported to date.

You can also download (and install at your own risk) a version of this software below.

Many thanks for using MY auction link which is the only one on eBay and I have had many happy users throughout the World including Melbourne, Australia. I have been providing this auction as a service more than a money making venture as many people could find the software if they new it existed and what to look for but then they dont get the support I have been able to offer..

updated link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Old 24th July 2005, 01:41 AM
New to Talk3G

Schockwave is on a distinguished road

Well, my phone, which is on the Orange Network and I only got on Friday, shows that in Network, I can either have Dual Mode or GSM, so I, should I want to, be able to change it accordingly, not that I expect to do that, so I would have thought that you should all be able to do that.
Old 24th July 2005, 02:20 AM
Talk3G Admin

Three UK users are locked to the 3G network only, as Three do not have their own GSM network. It costs them more for customers to roam onto O2, so it is only allowed to happen as a matter of necessity (deemed so by the handset/network) and not by user choice.
Old 24th July 2005, 03:15 AM
New to Talk3G

Schockwave is on a distinguished road

Not very good then, let us hope things improve for three UK users in the not too distant future.
Old 24th July 2005, 03:52 AM
Talk3G Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schockwave
Not very good then, let us hope things improve for three UK users in the not too distant future.
Still, they're paying a fraction of what we are, so lets not hope tooooo hard, eh?
Old 24th July 2005, 11:07 AM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
Three UK users are locked to the 3G network only, as Three do not have their own GSM network. It costs them more for customers to roam onto O2, so it is only allowed to happen as a matter of necessity (deemed so by the handset/network) and not by user choice.

not strickly true but I wouldnt expect you to know everything considering it was MY listing that was posted on here by someone. Three in Australia also lock their phones to 3G and I know that for a fact as I 'sold' the program to a guy in Melbourne who explained this to me.
Old 24th July 2005, 11:15 AM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
Still, they're paying a fraction of what we are, so lets not hope tooooo hard, eh?

yes thats true and considering that you can now get a 6630 AND 6000 cross net anytime minutes AND 1200 texts for only £36 over a year I know where I would rather be and with this little program I can make calls to almost anybody at anytime and almost anywhere at no cost. Something you cant do on Orange. Dont forget that due to Three's roaming agreement with O2 they have the best combined 'network' in the UK.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode