View Full Version : Annoying Orange TV download issues

finnmaccool
26th November 2005, 11:12 AM
Hi
I recenty acquired an excellent unbranded/ sim-free Nokia N70 and loaded it with an Orange PAYG usim. I was looking forward to trying out Orange TV, only to discover that OrangeWorld won't let me download it! The download apparently completes but at the last second an error message (from the phone itself) appears reading "unable to verify certificate!" and the download fails. I rang Orange to find out what was going on, and after a lot of discussion the 'conclusion' was that the download was failing simply because it is an unbranded phone and didn't have the necessary Orange software. But hey, I could always go along to a Nokia dealer and have the phone flashed with Orange software - thereby defeating the whole purpose of having an unbranded phone!! :rolleyes:
I thought I might be able to get around this nonsense by trying the download on another handset - I put my sim into a 6680 (also unbranded) and attempted to download TV Player onto the phone, thinking I might be able to transfer the app over to the N70 using the memory card. But this was also unsuccessful, but for a different reason - I now get a Orange World error announcing "a temporary error - please try again later". Needless to say, several attempts at different times result in the same error.
I have installed the pvplayer elsewhere on these boards, but unfortunately that made no difference on either phone. Can anyone shed any light on this and point me in the right direction? Perhaps someone could email me this presumably small app?
It would also be useful to know whether it makes any difference if the TV Player and pvplayers are installed in the main phone memory or on the memory card?
Cheers!

Ben
26th November 2005, 11:39 AM
Hello, welcome to Talk3G :)

I have an unbranded 6680 that has worked perfectly with Orange TV from day one, so I'm sceptical that it has anything to do with your phone being SIM-Free.

Are you using an Orange 3G PAYG USIM or a standard Orange PAYG SIM card? Orange require that you purchase a 3G phone from them in order to acquire a 3G USIM card. I got mine by 'officially' upgrading to a SE Z1010 and then putting my USIM in the 6680 at a later date.

PvPlayer is not required for Orange TV, only for viewing Orange World content.

I have to add, I think you'll be horribly disappointed with Orange TV (MobiTV) :(

finnmaccool
26th November 2005, 02:49 PM
Hi - thanks for the reply, and the welcome :) Yes, it is definitely a PAYG 3G Orange usim card - I bought it from a dealer on eBay, and it works fine - other than this.
So it sounds as thoug the sim-free explanation provided by the call centre geezer I spoke to may have been just a fob-me-off excuse. If the TV Player works fine on your unbranded 6680 that would suggest that it's not the app itself that's causing the problem, but either a glitch on the OrangeWorld portal or some check introduced to stop it being downloaded onto unbranded phones. Or I suppose, the portal not being quite able to handle N70s yet (which are still quite new)....
Anyway, not quite sure where to go from here. Perhaps someone with a card reader and a copy of the app could email me a copy? Even if it's not much copy, I'd still like to at least try Orange TV...

Ben
26th November 2005, 04:15 PM
Unfortunately I've deleted it, I'm using Vodafone's SIM-Only tariff atm, but somebody here must have a copy they can scrape together. Alternatively your method of installing Orange TV to your memory card on another Orange users phone should work perfectly.

finnmaccool
27th November 2005, 06:53 PM
Any volunteers then? :)
I may have something to swap for it...

etccarmageddon
17th December 2005, 07:41 PM
you can get the orange 3g usim from any orange shop for £5. and they will even upgrade you from an existing 2g sim. that's what I did.