View Full Version : Running nicely!

3g-g
31st March 2005, 12:25 AM
I've heard a few things about this handset, and wasn't sure if I should take the plunge and buy it. I'd looked at in the Orange shop and was surprised at the handset size, a lot smaller than I imagined. With the slider open it was still reasonable but I was told that unless I was dialing a number that wasn't in the phonebook or writing a text message I wouldn't need to open it up! Bonus I thought! Even weight wise it felt fine!

Still at a loss my brother bought the phone and I had a muck around with it, and I was pleasantly surprised, the next day I had one myself.

Don't get me wrong, this is no Nokia OS, it's not the most obvious of paths through the menus to get to where you want to go, but in a quirky way I like that, it actually makes the phone slightly interesting. The screen and camera... what can I say? I've never seen better, and that isn't an understatement. I purchased a 512MB SD card for it, that holds 8 albums nicely which sound great played through the supplied headphones and even the Bluetooth, which I'd been told was a little flakey worked ok! Pictures and pairing with others worked no problem.

I'm still finding my way around the phone, but as I use it more often it really is begining to grow on me. For a first from Sanyo it's a good effort IMO and I think there'll be more and better exciting things to come!

TheBrit
11th April 2005, 12:37 PM
It's a good handset. If your bluetooth is working then you obviously have one from the new batch.

Are you playing mp3s via bluetooth headphones?

3g-g
11th April 2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah I think it is a new batch, I was comparing it with my brothers, it also seems that that main casing of the handset is a slightly different colour, his being black and mine a slightly navy blue with little sparkles throughout. The MP3s are just through the supplied headphones, not via BT, surely that's even more battery power to waste other than it playing the music for you!?

Completely off topic, here's a picture of the other half at the top of a hill we climbed, a good 1450Ft up! And with full Orange UMTS coverage still!! I would of attached a bigger picture to show the quality of the camera, however I'm limited as to what file size I can attach to the forum.

Ben
11th April 2005, 05:57 PM
She's liking that rock!

I've increased the attachment file size and image dimensions for jpg, jpeg and png files - so full size images should now be postable.

"his being black and mine a slightly navy blue with little sparkles throughout"

Lmaoo I bet he's dead jealous of your sparkly bits, 3g-g :p

TheBrit
11th April 2005, 05:59 PM
Navy blue with sparkles throughout? Yes I noticed that too. Now I know I wasn't imagining it. I didn't get to compare my old S750 with the new one. It wasn't till I got the new one home that I realised it was slightly different.

You'll notice that the startup/shutdown screen is very different.

3g-g
11th April 2005, 06:10 PM
Ah, the smutty mind of Admin eh? ;) I could go on about her holding onto a big hard thing... but thats even more off topic!

The brit, I've not noticed the start up screen change, so I'll compare that the next time I see him, he does still have some BT issues, so it's nice that I don't!

For all that are interested in the camera, here's a picture looking south onto Glasgow from the campsie hills.

3GScottishUser
11th April 2005, 06:51 PM
Good picture quality. I take it that is at full resolution?

Very impressive (nice view too - looks very familiar).

Ben
11th April 2005, 06:54 PM
Is it a bit like one of those Where's Wally pictures, but we've got to find 3g-g somewhere in it? Or are we looking for the Orange mast?

(Views always were rather lost on me :D)

Good picture quality though - what more could you want for a phone?

3g-g
19th April 2005, 12:32 AM
Thought I may as well continue to add to this post I started. I'd not been using this handset that much lately, mainly due to the fact my Nokia 6650 fits in my car kit and this doesn't, however I decided to give it a little spin tonight, really go for some data use.

You've quite possibly seen elsewhere (on other forums that is) the Sanyo get a bit of a beating in terms of the quality of the handset. Now, when Orange first released it it was quite probably deserved, I think a lot of users had problems, from Bluetooth not connecting to anything or the inability to browse the net, be it Orange World or external http addresses.

It seems as though the new handsets are shipping with new firmware, although I've no way of checking this for sure, but I can confirm I paired with a Sony Vaio laptop this evening and we made some beautiful paired 3g data calls together. I then went onto browsing via the handset. Orange World loaded up quickly and I had some Star Wars clips downloaded in no time, they streamed nicely. What I liked most was that I loaded up talk3g. Logged in and was able to post! I know Ben had done so via his 6680 the other day, but that was £400... the Sanyo was free! ;)

If you're thinking about buying a 3G phone but don't want to spend a lot of money I can only praise the Sanyo for the time I've had it.

If anything does start to go wrong you'll be the first to know on here!

Putterill
19th April 2005, 10:38 AM
It seems as though the new handsets are shipping with new firmware, although I've no way of checking this for sure

Type ****# on the home screen, if nothing happens or "Ver1.930" is shown it's an old version of the firmware, if "Ver2.130" is shown it's a new version. (from the s750.co.uk faq)

Putterill
19th April 2005, 10:39 AM
For all that are interested in the camera, here's a picture looking south onto Glasgow from the campsie hills.

I've put up quite a few pics in the gallery on s750.co.uk (http://www.s750.co.uk) if anyone wants to see more images taken with the phone.

getti
22nd April 2005, 07:16 AM
I currently have a Sanyo S750 under review for Today On 3G and I also like this handset.

I had one on launch day back in november/december and the software was very buggy, especially the bluetooth situation.

However the handset I have now is a new version which seems to be working fine so at least i can do a proper review on a fully working model.

I would LOVE to have this phone for myself but im after a 6680 when its out because of the smartphone features.

Estimated Review Date: 26th April 2005

kryten
1st May 2005, 03:15 PM
That camera is fantastic!