View Full Version : LG Viewty: could this be the end?

3g-g
19th February 2008, 01:05 AM
Hmm, my Viewty is beginning to annoy me.

I've only had it a few months, and although it's a superb camera, the touch screen seems to be getting less sensitive. It's not glass like the iPhone, it's very much like any PDA type touchscreen, a soft plastic type, and I suspect as it gets more used it starts, or seems, to be getting less accurate.

Example. At the start of our relationship I could text without looking, the keys are on the screen as any physical numerical phone keyboard is. Now, when I try the same I look down and it's all a bunch of gobbledegook. Frustrating. Another thing. If you've mis-typed a word, on a normal handset you'd have a directional pad to push up to the word and edit it. On the LG you need to try and tap where you want the cursor to go and if you miss spend ages tapping away with your fingernail to get it into position. Grr.

The camera is great, and in fact most people think it is just that, a camera only. They're usually quite surprised to find out it's my phone. I did some HSDPA surfing in Dublin with it the other week, so it's a 3G+ modem too, again, no complaints. I've even dropped it once, thinking that would be its demise it wasn't! It's a solid little chap, only one scuff on the side!

But there's something, something that bugs me about it, and I'm pretty sure it's just their touchscreen. Not the UI, it's easy and simple. Just the touchscreen I think. It's also not helping that my other 3G phone is a touchscreen, and it's Windows, which is even more annoying!

I think can feel Symbian calling me back... I quite like the look of the Nokia 6500 slide, but I'm not sure if it'll hold my attention long enough. Ahhh, that actually felt quite good getting that all out... 'till I looked over my desk and saw the Viewty again. Grr!

What to do?

Hands0n
19th February 2008, 07:07 AM
What to do?

Await the 3G iPhone, anticipated out later this year?

Or buy the 2G iPhone and update it to the 3G model when that arrives (it'll be just a matter of swapping out the SIM), Jailbreak your 2G iPhone and give it to the Mrs (that'll earn you a ton of brownie points:cool:)

Ben
19th February 2008, 08:29 AM
Mhm, you could try and wait for the 3G iPhone... I'm certainly in that queue.

I've also been eyeing up the Nokia E51, which seems to be a well spec'd, powerful yet compact S60. It's pretty cheap, too. But then I'm eyeing up phones to replace my underwhelmingly spec'd Vertu all the time, always coming to the conclusion that I can't replace a £2500 piece of jewellery with a piece of plastic. I'm sorely tempted, though.

Of course, the Nokia N95 8GB is the ultimate S60 device available at the moment. I can see me loving mine until the buttons fall off. Like the N95, though, it's a chunk - so if you're looking for something smaller then try the E51, love it, then convince me to buy it too.

miffed
19th February 2008, 02:01 PM
TBH I had problems with the sensitivity of the Viewty's screen the first time I had a play with one , I had just got the iPhone at the time and suspect that I was simply being harsh on the Viewty as a result of my iPhone experiences - but TBH I have played with the Prada a few times since then , and I would go as far as to say the touchscreen is more resonsive on the Prada than the Viewty ! - although my experience with the viewty is very limited - so I don't think it would be fair really
I do know a lot of people with Viewty's seemed really pleased with them though , I noticed Orange selling them (as KU990 ) http://www.littlewoodsdirect.com/rf/lxd/navigation/product.do?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&SNtt=orange&Ns=prod_in_stock%7c1%7c%7cprod_min_base_price%7c1% 7c%7cscu_id%7c1&Nao=75&groupId=449508139&Nu=this_product&SNtk=littlewoods_search&Np=1&SN=85+101&Ntt=449508139&D=449508139&Ntk=group_search&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&thisprod=449508139&N=85+101&Nty=1&Mis_item_id=15&Mis_item_loc_id=1&product=449508139 , back when they had them in stock , and toyed with the idea of picking one up , but never got around to it - But TBH I have become REALLY attached to the iphone - I can't bring myself to leave it at home , which is really strange for me , usually I own a selection of devices , and will switch around between them - but now I have a T-mobile Ameo , a Nokia e90 , and an e61 ,a Prada & an N80 all sitting ready to be used , but ultimately none of them are a patch on the iPhone IMO