View Full Version : Nokia PC Software sucks!

gorilla
17th August 2008, 10:06 PM
Maybe I've been an itunes user for too long or maybe i just don't like having to click click click to update things, but PC Suite is a shocker.

I was round at a mates house this afternoon. He was wanting nokia maps on his 6120. No problem I said.
He didn't have the map loader programme installed. No problem I'll download it. Nope, it wasn't on the site. The web page was there but no download link would appear. Eventually found it on another (non formatted) page and tried to install. He has vista, what a piece of crap. "This programme would like to..." what seemed like every 30 secs; just f******* install you piece of crap.
"Driver error" WTF? Tried to see if PC suite worked, it kinda did. Is it the latest version? Who knows, it certainly did not. So, I downloaded the latest one of it from the nokia site, installed, reinstalled map loader, transferred some maps. Works fine.
Let's see if your firmware is up to date. What? Download yet another programme. FFS! well it wouldn't work and by this stage I was fed up.

So maybe the iphone 3g isn't quite perfect, and maybe itunes takes a bit too long when syncing the iphone, but at least I can just plug the phone in and go make a cup of tea, come back and it's synced and charged.

Nokia, you need to come up with a far better solution than all of those separate programmes. That whole process must have taken me the guts of an hour.

I must confess that in my nokia days I really only used pc suite to update firmware (and we all know how dicey that process was). I used map loader once, just to get the maps on, but I certainly would not recommend the software.

Don't get me started on vista. Not had much chance to play around with it, but here's hoping I never do ;)

Ben
17th August 2008, 10:41 PM
You're spot on - the Nokia software is atrocious! It always has been, but it has usually been better than that provided by its rivals which used to be enough.

No longer!

solo12002
20th August 2008, 07:58 AM
Last I knew was that nokia had withdrawn support of Vista. Last time Itried to update my mobile software I was inform vista was not support, as far as I can see they no updated it yet.

Hands0n
20th August 2008, 09:59 AM
ROTFL @ Nokia [effectively] dumping Vista. I wonder if that is the thin edge of the wedge of Vista death.

I do think that the latest Nokia PC Suite has some defects though. I am finding it less table under Parallels than the previous release. I don't use it much, but would not now trust NSU in Parallels to not brick a Nokia N95.

selena
26th August 2008, 11:40 AM
You're spot on - the Nokia software is atrocious! It always has been, but it has usually been better than that provided by its rivals which used to be enough.

No longer!

yeah, you are right.

The Mullet of G
2nd February 2009, 03:23 AM
I've never had any issues installing PC Suite, even on Windows 7 which is still a beta. Sometimes I think you people just whine for the sake of whining about something. I'm pointing the finger squarely at operator error here. :)

Ben
2nd February 2009, 04:58 PM
I've never had any issues installing PC Suite, even on Windows 7 which is still a beta. Sometimes I think you people just whine for the sake of whining about something. I'm pointing the finger squarely at operator error here. :)
You can't seriously think that Nokia are good at writing PC software? It's a hell of separate applications that are completely unnecessary. Or at least it used to be, I haven't used it for a little while now.

Was much better on the Mac I must say without all the Nokia stuff - I just used to use iSync and it was very nice. Getting pictures off wasn't too bad either. There is, or at least was, no Mac client for firmware updates, though.

I'm not really sure what Nokia could have done differently. I suppose the nicest option would be to have written as little software as possible and instead concentrated on providing hooks into third party stuff, like WMP, Explorer, Outlook/Express, Windows Address Book, My Pictures, even Photoshop etc. Then perhaps just one central application that sits in the tray could have taken care of syncing, checking for firmware updates and having them downloaded ready for installation on next sync, and changing any default associations.