View Full Version : Phones 4 U - Good or Bad??

delinquentwoody
17th May 2005, 08:38 PM
I (finally) got my hands on a 6680 today from phones 4 u, and I have to say I was very impressed with their service!!

I know they normally get a fair bit of stick for their pushy salespeople but there was none of that in the hull one. The handset was out of stock, but the lady drove a 40 mile round trip to pick one up from the nearest branch that had it in, so I had it in my hand an hour later!! And she was quite a fine young lady as well. :cool: (She even offered to personally drop if off at my house tonight - an offer I wish I'd accepted!!) :rolleyes:

In the past I personally have always had good service from them, I know some branches can be a bit pushy, but when it comes to I believe they do perform well.

So, in your opinion - does Phones for You deserve the stick it gets, or is this unjustified? What are your experiences with this retailer?

3g-g
17th May 2005, 10:24 PM
I used them a few years ago to buy the other half a contract phone, at the time they couldn't of been more helpful, however it was with a side order of guilt for not taking out extended cover & purchasing some accessories. We did have a handset problem further down the line which Orange advised us to take back to the shop we purchased at. From the moment we walked over the door they didn't want to know. So, my opinion of them is fairly tarnished, and since then I've only ever bought from the operators direct, too many cooks and what not. If they've changed that's good, but once bitten.

I wonder how many catchphrases I could get into this post if I tried... :p

Ben
18th May 2005, 01:04 AM
lmao ;)

Phones4U will tell you anything to make a sale, and once they've made it they wont care a dime about you. That's how I felt after dealing with them anyway :)

But hell, we have to shop somewhere, so if you get a deal that suits you and your smart enough to keep your hopes minimal then roll with it. I've not had good experiences with Carphone either.

I'll pay through the nose to go direct with the networks and/or SIM-Free from now on.

Hands0n
19th May 2005, 12:30 AM
I'd use the high street phone retailers only to use their carpet to wipe the stuff I stepped in off of my shoes!

For me, its either go direct as Ben suggets. Or I do find the small independent dealer more helpful than the know-nothing high street chains.

But then, I hold D*xons and Come-it, for example, in a similar esteem!

Anecdote: Just after New Year I walked into the local P4U to try and buy an A835. "Nah mate" (mate? I don't even know you!!!) "We don't 'ave 'em anymore, got this uvver phone 'ere" pointing to the new Motorola C975. "It doesn't have Bluetooth" says I. "Nah mate, you don't need that" says chummy. "We give yer an-ned-set which is just as good". Not surprisingly then, I sigh and walk out of the door with "mate" still talking at me!

Oh yes, you wanted my vote - "Bad"

miffed
19th May 2005, 07:51 AM
My mate is manager of a Phones4U store

He is actually a very helpful, decent guy - But it is funny , since working for phones4U he has been brainwashed !
He has always worked in telco retail , and always was quite knowledgeable - but since joining P4U he seems to be in a world of his own , in regard to what deals are available, which networks are good - I suppose he does get a pretty blinkered view things these days
For example ,back when people were taking the LG u8120 seriously , you could find it all over the place , Free with a years 4.99 pm LR on VT500 - Yet I heard him trying to tell one of my freinds to go for a deal from The LINK for 6 months half price line rental , telling him it couldn't be beaten - Whereas a few years back he would have known virtually EVERY deal ,from EVERY retailer - Perhaps his enthusiasm is a bit damped now and he sees it as "just a job" now whereas before it was a field that genuinely interested him
The more worrying thing is his ranking of the networks - I have heard him ,on more that one occasion, saying he thinks Three are the mosted switched on network in the country - and that they are really going places (this is talking to me as a mate - not as a potential customer ) unless perhaps he has repeated that to so many customers now in his "company speil" that he is starting to beleive it himself

One reccouring issue here with high street chains (not just P4U ) is that none of them seem too interested to see you once you have made your purchase , I had a problem with The Link when Three CS told me I shouldnt have been sold a non BT a920 , so I should give it to the link to get it reflashed - The Link were 100% not interested ! , and I suspect that is the kind of thing that will follow with all the High street chains

@NickyColman
22nd May 2005, 12:53 PM
I have had nothing put bad experiences from P4U! A number of times i have bought contracts from their stores and each time i have been let down by the service! From my experience, P4U will lie and deceive you to get a sale and i wouldnt trust them as far as i could throw them!

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 11:09 AM
I have really bad dealings with them both when I have been in the stores and when I have done business with them, all they care about is a quick sale and forget about customer service