View Full Version : Nokia viNe

@NickyColman
1st January 2009, 03:53 AM
http://www.nseries.com/nseries/vine/

Anyone seen this? I was browsing Nokia's NSeries website when i came across this new service. It basically is an app for your mobile (NSeries Nokia) that tracks your movements using GPS when you want it to and automatically uploads any media you've consumed whilst on that "journey".

The example they use on their site, is if you were walking through the park and decided to take some pictures. This viNe would record your movement through the park and then automatically upload the pictures/videos you made, or the music you had on, to the Nokia viNe website. Once you've uploaded your media, a "viNe" will automatically pop up on the world wide map of where that picture/video was taken and who by along with the associated tab. Any viNe user can then see this media and see where it was taken.

I think its a great example of what phones are new capable of showing, but i find it equally as terrifying to think we could all be tracked on some level across the globe!

ENJOY!

Hands0n
1st January 2009, 12:32 PM
....but i find it equally as terrifying to think we could all be tracked on some level across the globe!

What? You mean like the Government intends to by compelling all service providers (including mobile network operators) to retain for two years all data pertaining to a users' activity. Current mobile technology, without the benefit of AGPS, is reasonably accurate, sufficient to place you within a town, and probably within one or two streets of where you actually are! Imagine that audit trail being brought out by the legal compliance industry (Police, local councils, DVLA, Home Office, CPS and no end of other agencies) in any malicious prosecution of an individual?

Add AGPS to that equation and they get you to within a few tens of feet of where you actually were!!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread :D but the tech does raise all manner of disturbing Orwellian consequences, intended or otherwise.

viNe, on the face of it, seems a bit of fun technology, I could imagine some novel uses of it such as strapping a mobile on the moggy to see what it gets up to in its day (bugger all if you knew my specimen of felinekind).

@NickyColman
1st January 2009, 01:17 PM
LOL @Hands0n! Orwellian indeed!

I've had a swing on the viNe a few times (see what i did there? :P) and it seems quite reliable! I could imagine this being quite useful in tourist hot spots! Ie. people can upload what the atmosphere was like in a certain bar etc in London for other potential visitors to see?

The only thing is with these new services is making it into the mainstream of daily viewing. I only know a few people with handsets capable of running the viNe app. And out of those, i could bet most wouldnt want to use as theres no real point yet.

Ben
1st January 2009, 01:59 PM
With this woman in charge, nobody is safe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqui_Smith

I'm all for all-powerful technology. What I'm against is stupid, moronic politicians who think that Government should be the all-seeing eye, corrupting new technologies and putting them at risk of political misuse.

Hands0n
1st January 2009, 02:11 PM
With this woman in charge, nobody is safe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqui_Smith.

Expect her to have ISPs block Wikipedia any day soon, "to prevent terrorism" of course.

The Mullet of G
2nd January 2009, 08:34 AM
What? You mean like the Government intends to by compelling all service providers (including mobile network operators) to retain for two years all data pertaining to a users' activity. Current mobile technology, without the benefit of AGPS, is reasonably accurate, sufficient to place you within a town, and probably within one or two streets of where you actually are! Imagine that audit trail being brought out by the legal compliance industry (Police, local councils, DVLA, Home Office, CPS and no end of other agencies) in any malicious prosecution of an individual?

Add AGPS to that equation and they get you to within a few tens of feet of where you actually were!!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread :D but the tech does raise all manner of disturbing Orwellian consequences, intended or otherwise.

viNe, on the face of it, seems a bit of fun technology, I could imagine some novel uses of it such as strapping a mobile on the moggy to see what it gets up to in its day (bugger all if you knew my specimen of felinekind).

Yup its quite scary, even google maps on N95 can place you to within 2100 meters within seconds just using cell info, depending on where you are it could probably place you a lot closer. And thats just a publicly available app, I'm sure governments have more more acurate means.

I think theres a long future in location aware apps and services like viNe, but like someone already said they need to be able to appeal to the mainstream before they really become worthwhile, as most have little more than novelty value. :)