View Full Version : iPhone 4 reception woes ?

DBMandrake
24th June 2010, 09:01 AM
Well, I really hate to be (possibly) proven right about certain things, but reports are coming out thick and fast about reception problems with the iPhone 4 when held in the hand. Here are just a few examples:

http://mashable.com/2010/06/23/iphone-yellow-screen-tint/

(nice video demonstration)

http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-loses-reception-when-you-hold-it-by-the-antenna-band

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/23/iphone-4-signal-declines-while-being-held-an-old-issue/

I called this issue out way back on the 8th of June when the iPhone 4 was first announced and the antenna design revealed in the following thread, which I'll quote from:

https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8114-iPhone-4-pre-order-June-15th-own-June-24th.&p=39164#post39164

One bit of remaining scepticism for me is the claim of using the casing edge as antennas to improve reception. Although I'm willing to be proven wrong, I think this claim is bogus, just as it was for the previous generation phone where they claimed the ring around the headphone jack, the camera, and the front chrome bezel were used for antennas. (When clearly they were not - they're all loops, and they're not connected to anything...)

First of all, the lengths of the metal are not even close to the correct length for the frequencies they're trying to transmit - they're actually too long for 2100Mhz for example, but the biggest problem of all is the fact that you are touching the supposed antenna when you hold the device. Any RF engineer can tell you that if you make electrical contact with an antenna by touching it, it seriously detunes it to the point where any improvement that you might have had from the antenna being external will be lost and then some.

Even if they coated it with a thin non conductive layer, the close proximity of your hand would still have a serious effect on the tuning and performance of the antenna, as even conventional internal antennas in phones which are held at least a few mm away from your hand suffer from significant performance loss from the proximity of your hand, and this whole issue of hand proximity is one of the biggest challenges in antenna design in mobile phones.

So until proven wrong I call BS on Apple's claim of improved reception by using the frame as antennas. If there is an actual improvement in reception then it's more likely to be the glass back (which is far more transparent to 900-2100Mhz radio signals than ABS plastic is) or an improvement in the internal antenna designs, or different radio chipsets, or a combination of the above.

As you can see I was sceptical that Apple would be so stupid as to use the frame as an un-insulated antenna. Well, it looks like I was wrong about that, but therefore right about the effects of touching the frame on signal strength.

To put things into perspective, I should point out that some loss of signal is normal when picking up a phone - even if you can't make electrical contact by touch (as is the case in most phones where the antenna is inside) due to two effects - shadowing and capacitive loading.

The shadowing effect is that your hand is a "lossy" substance at the high frequencies used by phones, and if you cup your hand around the phone it will block some of the signal through attenuation - just like the wall in your house does. The second effect is capacitive loading, where even though you're not making electrical contact with the antenna, the close proximity of your hand alters the tuning of the antenna ("loads it") which causes the efficiency of the antenna to drop. (The proximity of your head has a similar effect too, so speaker-phone mode will give you a better signal as it's not held close to your head)

These two effects combined depending on the size, shape, and design of the phone, and the way in which it is held cause (with an iPhone 3GS) approximately 10dB of signal loss between the phone lying on a table and being held up against your head.

So if the signal on the table was -95dBm (a typical figure in residential areas from 3, Orange, or T-Mobile) it would reduce to -105dBm, which while not 5 bars, is still strong enough to make a 3G call. (Most phones try to switch to 2G mid call at -107dBm, and will lose 3G entirely at around -113dBm)

The issue we're talking about here is substantial additional reduction of signal - direct electrical contact with an antenna operating at 900-2100Mhz frequencies will severely detune it, (probably resulting in a loss of at least another 10dB, for a total of 20dB) and in the above example would push the signal to -115dBm, which is too weak to establish a connection on 3G. (The phone would have switched to 2G if it could)

So how could Apple miss this effect in testing ? Here's my theory - we all saw the pictures of the lost iPhone prototype - which was in a rubber casing to disguise it as a 3GS. The rubber casing would insulate your fingers from the external antenna, and it is very likely that every iPhone 4 that went off campus during the testing phase was in this rubber disguise case the whole time it was off campus.

The only time they may have used the prototypes without the rubber case were in Apple headquarters in secret darkened rooms - somewhere they're very likely to have strong signals. Apples extreme secrecy prevented them testing it properly in real world conditions.

However this external antenna design should not have got off the drawing board in the first place in my opinion (hence my scepticism of it when first announced) - any radio engineer should be aware of the deleterious effects of making electrical contact with an antenna, so someone wasn't doing their job to let it get this far. My guess is that the industrial designers (Ive & co ?) or Steve himself though it was a great idea and couldn't be dissuaded by the facts and figures of the radio engineers.

So were Apple aware of this design shortcoming by launch time ? I believe so, and here's why. Two unusual things have happened during the lead up to the iPhone launch that on their own made no sense, but if you are a conspiracy theorist, they fit right in.

One is that Apple for the first time announced a rubber case for the iPhone - previously they have relied on 3rd party manufacturers for those, so this is the first time they have made one of their own, and a few commentators were scratching their head over that one.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say that Apple realised the mistake in their design too late, and decided to issue the "bumper" cases in an attempt to hide the problem. Funny how the bumper case covers only the metal frame - which should be the strongest part of the phone... ;) I bet Apple store employees have been told to give the hard sell on the bumper cases to "protect" the phone, so that as few people are using the phone without a case as possible.

The other thing is that the field test app has gone missing in OS 4.0 - something I commented on a few days ago as being strange, and I couldn't think of any reason why they would remove it. Well, if you're a conspiracy theorist, I would say that they removed it so that accurate signal strength comparisons between 3GS and iPhone 4 are impossible. :rolleyes:

Bars is not an accurate reading, and any signal stronger than -100dBm will show as 5 bars, so it's only if your signal is weak would you notice the bars changing when held as the first video at the top shows. If field test was present a much more accurate numeric comparison with the 3GS would be possible in dBm.

So where does this leave us ? It seems to me that Apple has made a significant design blunder here, (form over function) and their propensity towards secrecy has prevented them properly testing the phone out in the wild, (without a case) and realising the extent of this problem.

Can they do anything about it without a major redesign ? Sort of...they could coat the metal frame with a hard clear-coat like coating which would be thin and invisible, but provide insulation and would dramatically reduce the effects of touching the strip. (It would alter the feel of the surface though...) It wouldn't be as good as a rubber case though, due to the thinness of such a layer.

Is there anything you as an iPhone 4 owner can do about it ? Yep, buy Apple's bumper case and use it. (Or any other case that hides the metal frame) With a rubber case insulating the metal frame from your fingers the signal loss from holding it shouldn't be significantly worse than a 3GS.

I'd be interested to hear from those getting their iPhone 4's how you are finding reception in weak signal areas compared to your 3G/3GS and whether holding it in your hand or to your head makes more difference to the signal strength than the 3GS...(with and without a rubber case)

miffed
24th June 2010, 11:29 AM
interesting ,

I must admit I was a bit sceptical when I saw , thinking that we were talking about small deviation in reception.. But watching that video , to drop from a full signal to "No Service" suggests a big problem !

My concern would be that , if the antenna is detuned to the point that it neuters a full signal to zilch , then surely the mismatch must be so great that it would damage the transmitter ? ...or if there is any kind of hardware autotune (is this even possible in a device of this size / class ?) then there'd be major power drain and overheating issues ?

blush
24th June 2010, 11:42 AM
After sitting on forums reading all last evening then again for several hours this morning I have decided that when the phone arrives today with UPS I am not even going to unwrap it and return for a refund. :(

There are way too many examples on the various forums and your theory and scientific breakdowns all make perfect sense to me. I am a telecomms engineer by trade and radiating RF into your hand doesn't sound like good practice anyway, massive attenuation. The video of a guy dropping the phone about five times and the front glass shattering was also a big factor for me returning the phone.

Will be very interesting over the coming weeks to see if Apple can provide a solution. A freeze on signal bars when you hold the phone should do it;) The bumper case cover up now makes lots of sense.

I will be interested to see how Ben and others get on but I am not chancing it, the 3GS is still pretty cool and hey it works:p

DBMandrake
24th June 2010, 11:42 AM
interesting ,

I must admit I was a bit sceptical when I saw , thinking that we were talking about small deviation in reception.. But watching that video , to drop from a full signal to "No Service" suggests a big problem !

My concern would be that , if the antenna is detuned to the point that it neuters a full signal to zilch , then surely the mismatch must be so great that it would damage the transmitter ? ...or if there is any kind of hardware autotune (is this even possible in a device of this size / class ?) then there'd be major power drain and overheating issues ?

I can't tell for sure without first hand experience of it, but from all the videos I've seen the difference is quite substantial - and seems to be focused mainly around the bottom left corner of the frame - where if you bridge between the side and the bottom corner with your hand it has the most effect.

Touching it won't be reducing the signal to zilch, but it looks to be on the order of 15-20 dB loss. (If field test hadn't been removed, it could be easily measured) 5 bars is -100dBm or stronger, and 1 bar is about -113dBm (with the phone losing connection less than that) so there is actually only a 13dB difference between the weakest possible "5 bar" signal, and no usable signal.

I don't think damage to the transmitter chip is too likely - even the best cell phone antenna would have a relatively high VSWR so the output chips are designed to be able to drive into any load without damage. We're only talking about around 1 watt maximum power when you're at the limit of range of a cell tower, and progressively less as you get closer.

However, it would potentially reduce battery life even if you're in a strong signal area - because the phone will have to increase the transmitter power more than it might otherwise have to - so gripping the bottom left corner of the phone in a call could drain the battery faster.

So far nobody has shown videos testing it with and without a rubber case fitted - comparing it in hand vs lying on a table is not a fair test for the reasons I outlined in the initial posting, although it is still representative of real world use....

DBMandrake
24th June 2010, 12:11 PM
After sitting on forums reading all last evening then again for several hours this morning I have decided that when the phone arrives today with UPS I am not even going to unwrap it and return for a refund. :(

Ouch, that's quite drastic. I'm really divided on the iPhone 4 now - in every other way I think it's a fantastic design, but fortunately (?) I don't have the money to buy one at the moment anyway (due to the small matter of looking for work... :( ) so now I'll wait and see what happens. I will go in store to try one first hand of course, and if it really came down to it, I would probably be ok with using it in a rubber case - as I have always kept my 3GS in a rubber case anyway.

There are way too many examples on the various forums and your theory and scientific breakdowns all make perfect sense to me. I am a telecomms engineer by trade and radiating RF into your hand doesn't sound like good practice anyway, massive attenuation. The video of a guy dropping the phone about five times and the front glass shattering was also a big factor for me returning the phone.

No, I don't like the idea of Microwave frequencies (2.1Ghz on 3G) being connected directly to my hand...I know it's only less than 1 watt, and that you still get a lot of exposure from a normal internal antenna, but there's no need to push my luck.

I'm not in telecomms but I was an amateur radio operator for many years (gave it up when the internet came along and stole my attention :) ) so built and tested many antennas... and one thing you don't want to be doing is touching one while in operation if you expect it to work properly. (And with higher power transmitters, if you don't want to get a nice burn :) )

Will be very interesting over the coming weeks to see if Apple can provide a solution. A freeze on signal bars when you hold the phone should do it ;) The bumper case cover up now makes lots of sense.

Yeah it does. The bars already have a very long time delay with averaging too - in field test mode the reading changes very quickly, with bars it takes 10+ seconds for a huge drop in signal to be registered. This is so it's not fluctuating up and down all over the place as you move.

If you talk with the phone against your head for 20 seconds or so then quickly pull it away and look at the signal, you'll often find even on a 3GS that the signal reading has dropped a lot.

Apple are reportedly claiming a software problem that indicates less bars than it should and will be releasing a fix - my guess is they will do something sneaky - like detect when the phone is against your head and freeze the reading so that when you pull it away it still shows 5 bars ;)

At the end of the day they can't hide dropped calls or No Service though.

I will be interested to see how Ben and others get on but I am not chancing it, the 3GS is still pretty cool and hey it works:p
Yeah come on Ben & Co, review please :)

I'm still pretty happy with my 3GS, especially after the 4.0 update, so I'm gonna sit this one out, at least so long as I have no money to spend on expensive phones ;)

DBMandrake
24th June 2010, 01:27 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/some-iphone-4-models-see-signals-drop-to-0-when-held-left-handed/

If we had to guess, we'd say that our conductive skin was acting to detune the antenna -- in fact, we've already managed to slowly kill two calls that way so it's not just an issue with the software erroneously reporting an incorrect signal strength. That said, we had no issues when Apple's $29 rubber bumper accessory (given to us free for standing in line) was attached, creating a buffer between our palm and the antennas.

First confirmed mention I've seen of the "rubber bumper" case working around the signal issue.

miffed
24th June 2010, 01:29 PM
Hmm, Remember the "lost" iPhone 4 was heavily disguised as 3GS ? this might explain how a problem like this didn't get picked up in testing , if all the test models were insulated?

blush
24th June 2010, 01:44 PM
Ouch, that's quite drastic.

The phone arrived and as I'm printing out the returns label I can hear iphone 4 shouting my name and screaming 'let me out!'

Very very tempting but I'm not giving in:D

The Mullet of G
24th June 2010, 05:25 PM
The phone arrived and as I'm printing out the returns label I can hear iphone 4 shouting my name and screaming 'let me out!'

Very very tempting but I'm not giving in:D

Get it cracked open you wont regret it.....I hope. I've been playing with iPhone 4 all day and its pretty sweet, unfortunately the handset I'm using isn't activated yet so I can't check the signal thing, but everything else is great. :)

blush
24th June 2010, 06:53 PM
Get it cracked open you wont regret it.....I hope. I've been playing with iPhone 4 all day and its pretty sweet, unfortunately the handset I'm using isn't activated yet so I can't check the signal thing, but everything else is great. :)

Unfortunatly it is too late, posted it several hours ago. For the entire journey to the post office I kept having second thoughts and now it is too late. If a software update fixes the issue I will order it again so I will wait and see what happens. I am going to America for two weeks on Saturday and the 14 day return period deadline is during the holiday and I didn't fancy having a signal less phone. AT&T seems to have problems enough without a dodgy phone!

Hands0n
24th June 2010, 08:14 PM
Have we seen this problem on any UK network other than O2? Both Nicky and Ben are reporting no such problems on Three and Vodafone respectively.

DBMandrake
24th June 2010, 09:22 PM
I think you guys might be missing the point with this issue - touching the bottom left corner will reduce the signal significantly, but if you're in a strong signal area you won't notice anything as once the signal is strong enough to display 5 bars (about -100dBm on 3G) then any further increases will not cause a visible change. So if your signal to begin with is much stronger than -100dBm, even a significant loss of signal will not show less bars. Only if your signal is just reaching 5 bars or less will you notice. It's not surprising those on O2 notice it more as O2 generally has a much weaker 3G signal than Three.

But use that phone in an area with a marginal signal and holding the bottom left corner could be the difference between a signal and no service. It really needs to be tested in a weak signal area to prove anything, and be compared with a 3GS both with the device un-held and held in the bottom left corner. (And retested with a case) Until then the jury is still out.

Hands0n
24th June 2010, 09:53 PM
Thats the science bit :D but the [practical] point that I am trying to establish is whether or not these observations are being made on UK networks apart from O2 who are disqualified because they have no credible 3G network of their own in the UK. I think that it is well established in the US that AT&T suffer from the same issues as O2 inasmuch as their own network is generally one of low signal availability, distribution and penetration. So I am not entirely surprised at the American iPhone 4 experience and well recall other (Android) handsets such as the Google Nexus One that has it's antenna down at the base of the device. There is YouTube video of the signal meter on the handset dropping when the handset is held normally in the hand. And that is with the antenna covered by the Nexus One's plastic casing.

So, given that there are very real radio signal issues with very many handsets, the iPhone 4 is no exception, I am not entirely surprised that the new iPhone with its completely exposed antenna suffers when held normally. I did rather wonder about the wisdom of the iPhone design when Steve Jobs announced that the stainless steel band was an antenna.

Where is this all likely to lead to? Will Apple be giving out their Bumper Cases for free? How will that satisfy those iPhone users who like their devices unadulterated? They will not be happy at all.

I do think that Apple may have a monumental cock up on their hands and will have to move fast to do something positive. They cannot sit patiently behind their RDF in the hope that all will work out in the end. Fast and decisive action is required.

Ben
24th June 2010, 10:58 PM
I had a couple of bars today, tried touching/holding the handset in various different ways but couldn't make the display change. I also had several calls today in variable coverage and couldn't identify any difference/issue.

I suppose it could take time to notice properly... I'll keep an eye out... but my experience on Vodafone has been nothing other than fantastic today.

DBMandrake
25th June 2010, 08:05 AM
Apple acknowledges, but downplays the antenna issue:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20008799-260.html

@NickyColman
25th June 2010, 09:41 AM
YO!

Got my iPhone 4 running on Three and so far, I've got no problems. I cant seem to replicate the "left-hand corner" issue. I've seen it done on several YouTube videos across the web (all seem to be running on AT&T) but not Three.

I will note that the signal, when stood next to my 3GS is weaker, wether I'm holding it or not. But I've heard that issue is due to a software problem on the iPhone 4 and its not reporting signal strength accurately enough. So I'm happy with that.

Any questions, just ask. :D

Here's a picture of my new iPhone 4 i took with my finger on the left hand corner area and bridging the two antennas.

http://nickycolman.posterous.com/iphone-signal-on-three

Perfect signal.

Hands0n
25th June 2010, 10:08 PM
Its too early for me to tell yet. Playing with this at home is a bit of a cheat as I have my Vodafone SureSignal turned on and can't be bothered to turn it off. Although even then I get a good signal from my nearest transmitter mast :D

DBMandrake
25th June 2010, 10:21 PM
Here is a good way to test it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7tfH9oBQbk

;)

Hands0n
25th June 2010, 10:29 PM
LOL, I've tried the "key" test and no end of others including this one, even licking my finger to moisten it to lower my skin resistance. Nothing. Nada. Now't. At all times i am getting a solid five bars of signal strength being displayed.

BTW, has anyone noticed that all of the videos are based on AT&T's network? There may be other but I have not yet come across any UK networks exhibiting the same fault. And I don't count O2 because their network does that without any provocation, it doesn't need an iPhone 4 to demonstrate that ;)

Ben
26th June 2010, 12:12 AM
If I hold across the bottom left join I can make a few bars drop.

Have I had a dropped call or any issues? No.

So, basically, I'm not arsed.

Given how superior iPhone 4 is to my £2500 Vertu it'd take a lot more than this to piss me off!

Hands0n
26th June 2010, 12:48 AM
Hmmm, I've been discussing this on an Android forum ( http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f9/iphone-4s-antennas-woes-36678/index4.html#post327115 ) and for the life of me I cannot make the iPhone display this characteristic at all. But then I am in a good signal area. Perhaps if I can find some marginal Vodafone area I could make this happen.

Of course, if I really wanted this to be the standard behavior of my iPhone 4 I could always chuck an O2 SIM into the device. :eek: But then I'd probably get more pleasure rubbing sand into my eyes!

miffed
26th June 2010, 08:16 AM
After reading Steve Jobs reponses to this , I decided to put his theory to the test , and I did actually replicate the fault on my 3GS , and also on my n900 too. - granted I had to move my hands around the device to find the point ( I suppose it would be easy to google the whereabouts of the antennas in various handsets) ...but once you find the spot , it is indeed possible to attenuate the signal with a simple hand placement on most handsets
I suppose the fact that the antenna is effectively exposed it going to mke it a attenuation more likely. -but whether this goes on to be a problem remains to be seen.

you have to admire the lengths people will go to to be dissatisfied with an Apple products !

@NickyColman
26th June 2010, 10:50 AM
@Hands0n Yeah, i've noticed that its all AT&T handsets too. Maybe their 3G signal is piss-over there? Who knows?

I watched a video last night on YouTube of two 3GS'. One running 3.0 & the other running 4.0. The 4.0's signal is terrible. Slight movement causes it to drop. Cupping it displays 'No Service' etc. So now, there are theories running about that its actually 4.0 and not the handset itself.

Strange.

Hands0n
26th June 2010, 01:54 PM
I am in the process of uploading a [rebuttal] video of the iPhone 4 cell antenna problem. For the life of me I cannot make it happen. I'll post the YouTube link up when it is available later today.

Could it be exascerbated by iOS4? Possibly. Certainly the design notion of placing the unshielded metal antenna on the outside of the case was a huge risk that seems not to have paid off.

Hands0n
26th June 2010, 02:26 PM
Here is the short video that I shot this afternoon of the iPhone 4 not getting all pissy when I shorted out the cellular and WiFi antennas - apologies for the shakiness of the video, I rushed it up using my iPhone 3GS hand held (usually I use my HD camcorder on a tripod). Anyway, you'll get the picture :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7EWopEvyA

Enjoy. Discuss. :)

@NickyColman
26th June 2010, 02:54 PM
Good vid Mr 0n, lol.

Its seems to be true that signal strength seems to affect it to quite some degree. That said, at home, I'm quite a distance from my nearest Three site and my coverage is patchy. However, I cant replicate the problem to the degree the interwebs are stating.

I can make the signal drop 1, maybe 2 bars if i completely cup the handset. BUT, as I said I have patchy Three signal at home so this could be simply down to signal fluctuation.

At work I get solid 3G all day long and I'm a matter of meters from my cell site. I'll test the issue at work and report back on the findings.

My feeling is that I wont be dissapointed. :D

Hands0n
26th June 2010, 06:29 PM
So, later on today I went a hunting. A hunting for a weak Vodafone 3G signal. Do you know how difficult that is to do :D Vodafone down in this neck of the North Kent woods is fairly ubiquitous.

Anyway, I found a source of weaker than 5 bars 3G opposite the new Kent Police headquarters in Gravesend. It was down to four signal bars on the display. "That'll do nicely" I thought to myself and parked up so as not to look too suspicious to the local fuzz.

Test 1
Hold the handset as I normally would, in my left hand, cupped, with the thumb pad of my hand bridging the two ariels. After a while the bar counter dropped from 4 bars slowly down to just 1. After a short while it dropped over to 2G/EDGE and stayed there with 3 bars of the stuff.

Test 2
Repeated Test 1 just to ensure consistency - this time, however, it dropped to 1 bar of 3G and running a Speedtest.net test I achieved 664kbps Up and 125kbps Down. At no point did it drop into 2G/EDGE

Test 3
This time I used the same Thumb and Index Finger grip as in the video I shot earlier today. The signal dropped from the 4 bars of 3G down to 1 bar again, it seemed to take longer to do this. But it did not drop into 2G/EDGE. For this run of the test I got a Speedtest.net result of 878kbps Up and 150kbps Down.

I cannot be certain why the difference between Test 1 and Test 2 except possibly it was a touch of 3G cell breathing on the go and for the first test there wasn't that much available, or it shrunk away from me during the test. But Test 2 and Test 3 are more consistent.

My own conclusions are that
(a) There is indeed an effect caused when bridging the ariels on the iPhone 4 (that much was never in dispute)
(b) Ambient signal strength does have a distinct bearing upon the effect, a 3G signal will have a threshold above which the ariel effect is not observed.
(c) Below a certain 3G signal strength the ariel effect is observed, even causing a drop to 2G/EDGE where that is available
(d) The ariel effect is lesser observed in 2G/EDGE, I expect that to be because of the better signal penetration that the lower 2G/EDGE frequencies have

Mitigation
There are various mitigations that can be carried out to limit or prevent the effect from occurring.
(1) Take Apple's advice and purchase their Bumper case
(2) Apply an insulator tape such as Sellotape or electrical insulating tape
(3) Apply clear nail varnish around the point where the bridging by your hand occurs
(4) Install your iPhone 4 into an OEM case as and when these become available (I usually do, but the aesthetics of this model make me want to keep it naked)

There may be other mitigations, but I speculate that these will not come from Apple. This appears to be a physical hardware design faux pas that they will not be able to resolve in any other way than a rather fundamental redesign.

I also suspect that Apple will start to give away their Bumper cases free of charge to anyone who complains about the signal issues. Not now, but in a while once the hiatus has died down a little.

The Mullet of G
26th June 2010, 08:20 PM
You people are crazy, this is clearly a feature not a design flaw, if Steve Jobs said that its revolutionary then he surely can't be wrong. :)

Hands0n
27th June 2010, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry, you're absolutely right there. I just noticed that I had my RDF turned to low ... its back to Full Power again :D

blush
28th June 2010, 03:06 AM

Will be very interesting over the coming weeks to see if Apple can provide a solution. A freeze on signal bars when you hold the phone should do it;) The bumper case cover up now makes lots of sense.

I now regret cancelling the order and returning what was gonna be my iPhone 4. Gutted. I now will have to wait three weeks till it ships again. Sob.

MrBriz
28th June 2010, 09:31 AM
My o2 3G signal is really poor in all but the city center. I don't get anything at work or at home anymore. Unfortunatly I cannot switch to t-mobile until the end of July as they don't have any microsims yet :(

DBMandrake
28th June 2010, 09:36 AM
Have a browse on the Internet, there are plenty of tutorials or devices for cutting SIM's down to MicroSIM's - for example you can print out (or buy) a stick on template to show where to cut, and you can also get hole-punch like devices for around £12 that will do a neat and perfect job of cutting a SIM in a few seconds. You can also buy adaptors to put your newly created Micro-SIM's back into phones that need normal SIM's.

MrBriz
28th June 2010, 10:05 AM
So if I cut down a normal t-mobile sim on their sim only plan I will be able to use it in the iPhone without any issues? Only problem I'm worried about is that t-mobile don't offically support the iPhone 4 with the microsim yet.

DBMandrake
28th June 2010, 10:26 AM
Yes as long as you cut the SIM correctly it will work fine. T-Mobile haven't released a carrier settings update for the iPhone yet, so you would have to enter the APN settings etc manually.

Also T-Mobile currently throttle data speeds to around 350kbit unless you are on certain data plans, and compress images on websites - whether that is something you'll be able to disable on an iPhone tariff is anyone's guess. Is there some particular reason you're wanting to go with T-Mobile ?

MrBriz
28th June 2010, 11:04 AM
Because they are the only ones (asside from o2) to do a £15 a month plan that gives 350 mins (I have never gone over 5 1/2 hours of talk time in the last two years) and 300 text messages (never gone over 250 in the past two years) along with 1GB data (I'm currently fluctuating around 300-450 mb per month).

All the plans from the other network providers start at £25, and I don't see the point spending more for something I don't need.

Plus I was hoping t-mobiles network would be better than o2 because of the cell sharing with 3, along with the merger with orange, plus I'd only be on a 30 day rolling plan so I can leave whenever I want.

I don't know about the throttling or compressing. That's a little annoying as I sometimes stream video and 350kb could cause a problem with that.

If anyone has any suggestions as to which network to swith to that can offer something very simular for the same price I'd be willing to take a gamble as long as I wasn't tied into a contract.

MrBriz
28th June 2010, 11:10 AM
Go have a look at http://public.iwork.com/document/?a=p166308808&d=Data_Usage.numbers it's my useage.

As you can see I'm not that heavy at the moment, but the data has been increasing.

MrBriz
28th June 2010, 12:08 PM
Hey DBMandrake,

I've just been looking around some of the other threads you've posted in and in one you mention Virgin mobile. I see they use T-Mobiles network (so hopefully the coverage will be good) and that they have HSDPA enabled.

Now the thing I want more than anything else is good internet speed on the phone. I've been checking out the tarriffs and it seems I'll have to pay £20 on virgin for what I want.

I'm willing to pay that as long as the phone actually works well.

Like I said, I'm willing to switch to any network as long as I don't have to pay anymore than £20.... I'd prefer £15 a month, but it seems that I won't be able to get that with a fast internet connection as it looks like T-Mobile charge more for HSDPA to be switched on the account.

MrBriz
28th June 2010, 12:49 PM
OK, after reading ever more posts by DBMandrake looks like I might chose 3..... will go into a 3 store later on today to see what they can do me.

DBMandrake
28th June 2010, 12:55 PM
Although I'm using Three - I have to offer a word of warning, it appears that any new iPhone's activated with Three will not be able to access data on 2G. (Normally 3 customers roam onto Orange's 2G network when out of range of a 3G signal, and get data access as well) There is a big discussion going on about this on another forum:

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showthread.php?t=104735

Also there are questions about this on three's blog at http://blog.three.co.uk which have not been answered yet. Even though I'm using Three I would be hesitant to recommend them for an iPhone until this issue is clarified. (It doesn't seem to be affecting me, I can still get 2G data on my iPhone, but that's because it's a one year old 3GS, not a new freshly activated one)

DBMandrake
28th June 2010, 01:15 PM
Regarding your comments on Virgin - I still have a Virgin Pay&Go SIM in my spare SIM collection, and it gets full un-throttled speeds without paying extra like T-Mobile, so if you like T-Mobile's coverage Virgin could be a good option. I don't find it as fast as 3 but it's still fast enough, typically around 1 - 1.5Mbit. (of course that varies with location like all networks)

Also you don't have to pay a minimum of £20 a month to get "unlimited" (actually 1GB) of data a month any more - they introduced a £5/month for 1GB data addon a few months ago - it's not easy to find on their website unless you dig, and you can't add it via the web based account control panel either - you have to text BUY DATA5 to 789789 to activate it - but once you do it automatically recurs each month until cancelled.

T-Mobile's 3G coverage has improved in leaps and bounds in the last year as they progress with their site share with 3, but the one big failing they still have in my opinion is that there is no way to turn off the jpg image optimizer on either T-Mobile or Virgin. If they would just fix that issue I might even consider returning to Virgin one day.

MrBriz
28th June 2010, 01:31 PM
Looks like I would be OK as my iPhone is already activated, so I wouldn't need to go through that process, and hopefully wouldn't get that issue.

MrBriz
28th June 2010, 01:43 PM
Choices choices..... I really don't want to go with t-mobile if they compress images... that is a deal breaker :(

o2's notwork is just that.

3 seems to be having problems.... I don't want to switch only to find it doesn't work

I guess it could be Orange or Vodafone but they are both quite expensive.... dammit! Why is this such a tricky decision...

DBMandrake
28th June 2010, 04:54 PM
I feel your pain, none of the networks are ideal and they all have significant flaws - it's just a matter of finding the one whose flaws affect or annoy you the least!

MrBriz
28th June 2010, 05:04 PM
So I've gone and gotten myself a 3 sim only. �15 per month. Try said I could get a microsim from them tomorrow once te account is setup but I can try and cut down this sim if I want. They have even given me a payg sim to practice with!!

Ben
28th June 2010, 09:12 PM
Just wanted to add on here that I'm still not experiencing any actual reception problems. So far every aspect of my iPhone usage has been better with iPhone 4.

Hands0n
28th June 2010, 11:21 PM
"iPhone antenna woes" - the biggest non-story in history ;)

All the Americans (and O2 customers) need is a reasonable 3G network.

I had to laugh today at work, first day at the office for the iPhone 4. Office workers trying to demonstrate to me how my iPhone 4 would lose signal and disconnect from the network. Vodafone only gives 4 bars at the office. Each one of them failed miserably. It was only afterwards that I explained to them how much testing I had done around my town, and how I had failed to make the syndrome occur other than for the handset to fall back to Vodafone's 2G network.

All this leaves me thinking that those poor old Americans demonstrating the problem were in an AT&T 3G-only area, that is there was no prevailing AT&T 2G to fall back to.

So a few more converts at the office placed their orders with Apple for a flaky [not] iPhone 4 all of their own :D

DBMandrake
28th June 2010, 11:31 PM
To be fair, AT&T uses different 3G frequencies than the UK - we use 2100Mhz exclusively, while AT&T uses 850Mhz and 1900Mhz. Different frequencies on the same physical antenna will cause different standing wave patterns to form, resulting in different "sensitive spots" on the antenna. So what may be a sensitive spot on 850Mhz at the bottom left corner of the case may not be (or considerably less) at 2100Mhz. Such is the way antennas work.

Also because AT&T use two dramatically different frequencies depending on city and state, it could explain why some people in the US see such a big effect, and others don't.

Very hard to say for sure without some more technical details of exactly how the antenna is connected inside though :) I'll reserve judgement until I play with one in store, although talking about the antenna again has got me thinking - Three generally have the strongest 3G signal in most places, (certainly far better than O2) so I wonder if Apple have deliberately gone with Three SIM's in the shop demo iPhones to ensure that they have a good solid 3G signal that won't show signal fade when customers try the grip test on the phone ? Hows that for a conspiracy theory ? :D There we go, the mystery of the sudden appearance of Three SIM's in Apple store iPhone's solved! :D

Hands0n
28th June 2010, 11:37 PM
I now regret cancelling the order and returning what was gonna be my iPhone 4. Gutted. I now will have to wait three weeks till it ships again. Sob.

Never mind fella. You'll soon be in possession of your very own. I did think you'd jumped the gun a bit there.

Stories of a point release of iOS 4.x is now in the news - I suspect that this will be tweaking the radio so that it is maybe not quite so susceptible to drop-off in very low signal areas (see my posts about testing this all out on Vodafone's network). It does seem confined to where the signal is miserably low - and perhaps being misleadingly displayed as 5 bars. Certainly, at the office today, with 4 bars, we couldn't make the signal drop off to zero or to fall back to 2G no matter how people tried. One lad tried to completely envelope the iPhone 4 in his hands - until I asked him if he always used his mobile phone like that! I did suggest using the roll of kitchen foil that we have if he wanted to do the job properly :) We wrap up anyone's phone left on the desk unattended that rings frequently. It soon makes them take it with them when they walk off ...

So, I don't think you'll be disappointed by the over-hyped signal issues.

But for pity's sake, don't go dropping the device. In my book glass is glass. I don't care how tough they make it, the stuff is unlikely to survive a drop, let alone five of the bu99ers ;)

blush
29th June 2010, 02:17 AM
Never mind fella. You'll soon be in possession of your very own. I did think you'd jumped the gun a bit there.

I can't believe I was silly enough to return the phone, I didn't know what to do. After looking forward to the release for a good while before hand then the day before hearing all the negative reviews I made a very rash decision. I had not actually seen a 4 close up till today. I have been in Los Angeles the last few days and saw a couple of people using an iphone 4 in Disneyland but we found a large mall today. I sat in the mall thumbing through the store guide and to my joy I found there was an Apple store.:D:D

It's like being a young child at Christmas entering an Apple store, all the lovely toys to play with! There were plenty of iphones and lots of people playing with them. What a beautiful device the new phone is, feels really solid like most people have said and the screen is to die for. After a good play with that I had a play with the ipad. I can see how useful an ipad could be, the apps look great on a huge screen. I tried to find a bumper case for the iphone to have a look at but couldn't seem to find any.

Stories of a point release of iOS 4.x is now in the news - I suspect that this will be tweaking the radio so that it is maybe not quite so susceptible to drop-off in very low signal areas (see my posts about testing this all out on Vodafone's network). It does seem confined to where the signal is miserably low - and perhaps being misleadingly displayed as 5 bars. Certainly, at the office today, with 4 bars, we couldn't make the signal drop off to zero or to fall back to 2G no matter how people tried. One lad tried to completely envelope the iPhone 4 in his hands - until I asked him if he always used his mobile phone like that! I did suggest using the roll of kitchen foil that we have if he wanted to do the job properly :) We wrap up anyone's phone left on the desk unattended that rings frequently. It soon makes them take it with them when they walk off ...

So, I don't think you'll be disappointed by the over-hyped signal issues.

Being in an Apple store in America with the phones on AT&T was an ideal time to see if I could replicate the signal issue. I tried four seperate iphones with the signal being at full bars before with the phone on the table and also when I bear hugged it and held it in my left hand touching the join.

But for pity's sake, don't go dropping the device. In my book glass is glass. I don't care how tough they make it, the stuff is unlikely to survive a drop, let alone five of the bu99ers ;)

I will be extremely careful not to drop the phone, some of the youtube videos are a bit silly really droping the phone over and over till it shatters. The lengths some people go to when trying to discredit a product.

blush
29th June 2010, 03:05 AM
Since being in the US since Saturday I have noticed several strange things with the AT&T network. The last time I was in California was in 2005 and it was soon after Cingular was bought out by AT&T. If you did a network select on a gsm phone you could see two AT&T networks as well as T-mobile. Prior to this there was Cingular, AT&T and T-mobile. I leave my iphone at home in the UK with 3G turned off and after turning my iphone on at LAX airport the phone tried to select AT&T's network but I got a no access and after a good while the phone settled on T-mobile. I tried to manually select AT&T but each time I was denied access. Later in the day I enabled 3G and my phone selected AT&T 3G no problem. If I lose 3G signal there is no 2g band to fall back onto. I wonder if AT&T customers can fall back to edge or GPRS and why a roaming non 3G enabled phone is denied access. Anyone with a non 3G phone will be left with no signal at T-mobile's coverage does not extend very far out of town.

We are off to Vegas tomorrow so I will see what happens there. When searching for networks I see only one AT&T network rather than two which I witnessed in 2005. The strange thing back then was o2 had roaming with Cingular but not AT&T so one network worked and the other didnt.

DBMandrake
29th June 2010, 08:44 AM
AT&T customers definitely have 2G fall-back - in fact in a large part of the country there is still no usable 3G coverage, and a lot of AT&T customers would complain they fall-back to 2G all too often!

If you can connect on 3G but not 2G you can thank your networks (O2?) roaming agreement with AT&T - as although odd, things such as roaming only on 3G are possible in a roaming agreement, and roaming agreements and their exact conditions are negotiated on a case by case basis between each pair of networks.

T-Mobile on the other hand you'll find you can connect on 2G but not 3G - in fact you may have to manually disable 3G to connect to T-Mobile as they use 1700Mhz 3G which is not supported by the iPhone or the vast majority of 3G phones in the world.

The naming of AT&T and Cingular is confusing - Cingular was formed as a joint venture between AT&T (landline company) and BellSouth in 2001, in 2004 Cingular acquired AT&T Wireless, then in 2007 Cingular renamed itself to AT&T Mobility. (commonly known as AT&T) The current AT&T Mobility network was made up of the merging of two different networks and it's apparently taken them years to get them fully integrated under one banner...

MrBriz
29th June 2010, 09:03 AM
So I've now had the phone working on 3 for a while now.

It will gracefully drop to the 2G network, but only if I manually turn 3G off. I cannot, how every hard I try, get it to drop down to the 2G network on it's own :D Much better than o2 which would always flick between 2 & 3G at home.

Also the speedtests I'm getting are better than my home broadband! 330kB/s down 190kB/s up! My home is 250kB/s down 90kB/s up. Craziness!

So the only thing that irks me about 3 is the very slow customer service pickup times. Nothing like o2's super fast and good customer service, but then I guess you get what you pay for.

Well if that's what I have to suffer to get a good phone service then so be it.

Cheers for all the info DBMandrake, it helped me come to a decision, hopefully one I shall not regret. Although even if I do it's a 30 day rolling contract so I can always opt to switch back ^_^

DBMandrake
29th June 2010, 09:19 AM
Wow that's not bad, at the moment I'm getting about 175KB/sec (1400kbit) although I do often see as high as 275KB/sec. (2200kbit) On the other hand my home broadband (Sky ADSL2+) is considerably faster, at 14Mbit (1750KB/sec) :D

No you won't get it to flick back and forth between 3G and 2G like O2 - because Three are a 3G only network it will cling to a 3G signal for dear life until there is almost nothing before it will roam to Orange's 2G network. This can be quite handy if you're talking on a call and using data at the same time, as switching to 2G mid call would kill the data session.

On the other hand, when it does roam from 3G to 2G it will go into searching mode and interrupt the data session for a few seconds (or drop the call) - it can't switch seamlessly mid call or mid data session like a hybrid 3G/2G network.

Yep, as long as you're on a rolling contract with an unlocked phone, even if you did have issues you could always PAC your number elsewhere. I've always been a Pay&Go user ever since my first mobile, I don't think I would ever go into a 12/18/24 month contract with anyone.

blush
29th June 2010, 01:20 PM
AT&T customers definitely have 2G fall-back - in fact in a large part of the country there is still no usable 3G coverage, and a lot of AT&T customers would complain they fall-back to 2G all too often!

I also have with me a Nokia E51 with a Truphone Local Anywhere sim which uses the Vodafone network in the UK and that is sitting on T-Mobile and if I manually try and select AT&T I also get no access. I am pretty sure that last time I was here that T-Mobile did not cover outside of LA. I will report back from Vegas later.

DBMandrake
30th June 2010, 11:43 AM
Oh my, the irony :D

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/apple-hiring-iphone-antenna-engineers-for-some-reason/

DBMandrake
30th June 2010, 02:00 PM
All joking aside in my previous message, I've just come across an absolutely brilliant article on Anandtech which goes into considerable technical detail and depth on the whole iPhone 4 antenna / reception issue, it is absolutely spot on in the technical facts and written in a very even handed way, and is the first article I've seen to really get it right, so I encourage anyone with an iPhone 4 or considering getting one (but worrying about the signal issue) to read it:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

The short summary is, yes, depending on conditions, touching or gripping near the bottom left corner in particular can cause a dramatic reduction in signal strength. However on the flip side, the baseband chipset in the iPhone 4 is considerably superior to the one in the 3GS, and is able to hold a reliable call at significantly lower signal levels.

The end result is that an iPhone 4 gripped without a case has worse real world reception than a 3GS, (sometimes much worse) but with a case over the steel frame has better real world reception than a 3GS, bar readings notwithstanding.

Hopefully Apple will make a modification to the production of the iPhone 4 by applying a hard transparent / invisible coating to the metal frame to prevent direct electrical contact between fingers and the metal frame - which would 90% solve the issue without a huge redesign.

The Mullet of G
30th June 2010, 05:59 PM
"iPhone antenna woes" - the biggest non-story in history ;)

I think that pretty much bangs the nail on the head. I've yet to meet a single iPhone 4 owner thats had any antenna woes. As most of you will know I like to have a bit of a pop at Apple given the opportunity, simply because I think its mildly entertaining and also they shanked me on customer service that one time, so the fact that I'm not bothering to have a pop about this issue speaks volumes here.

I also think the attached picture sums this issue up nicely. :)

DBMandrake
2nd July 2010, 02:06 PM
So, Apple has released a press release, essentially saying that there is nothing wrong with the reception of the iPhone 4 and that they will be issuing a software fix that re-calibrates the display of the bars:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html

Why am I not surprised ? :rolleyes: So in a bit more detail, what are they saying ? They're basically saying that the signal threshold required for each bar increment is too narrow - and that they will be recalibrating it so that it requires a stronger signal to give a 4 or 5 bar reading.

This will increase the dynamic range of the 1 - 5 bar reading, eg the difference in actual signal between an indicated 5 bar signal and an indicated 1 bar signal will be much greater after the "fix".

That's all well and good (I've always felt the 1-5 bar range was very compressed and that 5 bars was reached at too low a signal to be very meaningful) but the fact is that this is going to make the phone read less bars for the same actual signal level, so for example a signal that might now read 4 bars may read 2 bars after the software update.

They claim it's a mistake that's been there since the first iPhone - not so, because the calibration of the 1-5 bar reading is actually different on 2G and 3G signals - two different calibration tables are used. (For example -100dBm is 5 bars on 3G, but only about 2 bars on 2G)

Also, most people will have forgotten, but Apple actually changed the calibration of the 3G signal reading between firmware 2.0 and 2.0.1 shortly after the iPhone 3G was released - a lot of people were complaining that their 3G connection was giving "a lot lower bars" than their 2G signal, so Apple basically made the phone read more bars for the same signal in 3G, and that's the calibration we've had right up until OS 4.0. (Essentially the scale shown in the Anandtech article)

Was it valid for Apple to make this change at 2.0.1 ? Questionable. Is it valid for them to make this change now ? Also questionable.

Does it answer the issue that people are complaining about ? Not at all. If Apple do what they say they will, both the 3G/3GS and the iPhone 4 will be reading less bars (at the higher end of the scale) for the same actual signal, but it makes no difference in actual performance of the phone.

No amount of monkeying around with the calibration of the bars will affect the actual performance of the device in low signal conditions and whether it drops calls or loses a data connection when gripped, and it's rather disingenuous of Apple to suggest that the problems are all in peoples heads and that it's only a matter of the bar reading reducing.

Tests have been done by Anandtech using the numeric signal indicator (which I've now re-enabled on my 3GS thanks to an iPhone backup editor) which is not affected by any inaccuracy in the bar reading, and those tests clearly showed the effect that Apple are trying to pass off as an illusion.

Disappointed Apple, but not surprised...

The Mullet of G
2nd July 2010, 11:39 PM
I still haven't met any iPhone 4 owners that have had any reception woes to speak off, but it seems a lot of iPhone 4 owners haven't been so lucky. With that said this story is starting to grow legs, the class action suits against Apple are starting to roll in, which would be bad enough, but that press release was frankly hilarious, has Apple gone completely mad? I actually see it as being more damaging to Apple as a brand than the original signal issue itself, we all make mistakes so I feel the measure of a company isn't how well it does when things are going right, its what it does when things go wrong, and I think Apple's response is very telling here.

Looking back, the Wi-Fi issues that Jobs had during the iPhone 4 launch keynote now seem like a bad omen of things to come, Apple are usually pretty slick and have long benefitted from the legendary Apple RDF, but while the iPhone 4 launch has been massively successful, in some ways its been a bit of a disaster. I think they might have gotten away with it had they not taken the time to tell everyone how revolutionary and great the new antenna system was, as that effectively drew peoples attention to it and their was a lot of skepticism long before it was even released.

tl;dr Apple dropped the ball and then fumbled it into their own net. :)

Hands0n
2nd July 2010, 11:50 PM
I agree. Apple are turning this into a PR disaster. They and the iPhone will survive. But this is giving the anti-Apple lads and lasses the proverbial Mannah from Heaven! They must have orgasmed upon reading that press release :-)

@NickyColman
3rd July 2010, 11:50 AM
LMAO @ Hands0n - I bet they did!

The press release was a total mistake from start to finish. Apple would have been better off announcing that they would allow anyone who believes their iPhone suffers from the signal issue to return for a full refund (hopefully taking the sting out of the issue by giving customers a way out). It would also allow Apple to get away without admitting there was an issue to start with.

"If YOU believe there is a problem, we - those cool guys from Apple - will be generous enough to give you a full refund. How nice are we??

By reading yesterdays statement, its clear Apple are going to simply fiddle the facts. Apple are going to make the 3G/3GS report a worse level of signal so that it reports near enough the same as the 4. Its not quite a solution and its rather worrying that, for 3 years now, the best minds at Apple (and everyone who's torn down an iPhone) didn't discover this "formula issue".

The statement was written in an almost infantile manner;

"We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising.

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong."

Really??? Were they really that stunned? Or was it "oh **** guys this isnt dying down".

Will it solve everything? Who knows? Apple will definitely survive. People will still buy this phone in droves (and thats one hell of a statement about Apple's pulling power). And there will still be a new iPhone next year.

And just for the record, I've still not had a dropped call. Even on Three :D

I love my iPhone. It out performs every handset I've ever owned and will continue to do so.

miffed
3rd July 2010, 01:09 PM
Seriously , How stupid do Apple think we are ? ... Don't get me wrong , I agree the whole issue is blown out of proportion and in reality is pretty much a "non issue" - but this response has probably done more harm than good ?
So lets all go by Apples logic . ... these Bumper cases must boost the reception , no ?

IIRC wasn't there an issue with a previous version (3G ? ) where the reception caused problems ?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10017153-37.html?tag=mncol;txt

... Bit sloppy that the didn't stumble upon this excuse , sorry , "problem" back then eh ?

DBMandrake
3rd July 2010, 07:45 PM
The fact that it has even me up in arms about it is very telling - I'm not exactly an Apple Fan Boi, (some might accuse me of it :) ) but I like and own many Apple products, love my 3GS to bits and never let it far from my sight (and the 3G before it, back in it's day) and I really do feel let down by Apple.

I really wanted to like the iPhone 4, and I think they got so much about it right - the screen, the camera, the A4 processor, HSUPA, front facing camera, sturdy metal buttons (finally) etc, but my oh my, what a cock up with the antenna design :(

Part of me says to hell with it, it's such a good phone in every other way, buy it anyway, (if I had the money, which I don't) get a bumper case and stop complaining as I always use my existing iPhone in a case anyway...

But I think it's now the principle of the thing for me - why should I give Apple my money to buy a premium priced product with a relatively serious known design flaw, and the more Apple digs themselves into a hole by lying and trying to save face, the less respect I have for them.

I don't like having my intelligence insulted in the snide and condescending way Apple sometimes manages to do, something which I think is a direct extension of Steve Job's brilliant but egotistical personality.

Apple are obviously doing everything they can to try and avoid a recall, so I can't see a frank admission of their mistake any time soon.

It will be interesting to see how they decide to handle this, as I think the likes of Gizmodo will keep on and on about it - the obvious option to me is for them to add a hard invisible non-conductive coating to the metal bands, something that could be done fairly easily as part of a refurb process - anyone with an earlier revision who has signal problems could get it exchanged for a new phone with the extra coating, and their old phone gets the new coating and goes into the refurb pool for warranty replacements etc - they wouldn't have to scrap the existing models that are out in the field, and the number of units in the field now is still relatively small compared to how many will be sold over it's one year life cycle.

In fact I have to wonder if some of the iPhone 4's already in the field now do have a coating, and some earlier production units don't ? Just like some phones were supposedly shipped so early that the screen bonding glue hadn't set yet and was still yellow tinged. Perhaps if there is a difference in the surface of the metal from one batch to another it could explain why there is such a variation in sensitivity to this problem ?

Anyone care to check the surface conductivity of the metal bands around their iPhone 4 with a multimeter to see if they're conductive or whether there's an insulating layer on it ? :)

miffed
3rd July 2010, 09:51 PM
... And of course , the fact that the field test app dissappeared was just a coincidence ! [:)]

Hands0n
3rd July 2010, 09:57 PM
Too late, I already did that. The metal bands on mine are bare as a baby's bum :) They are conductive right up to the edge of the insulating break. I have even held on to the phone for more than 20 minutes while using Twitter, Facebook and Talk3g to the point that my hands were sweaty and thus wonderfully conductive. Nothing, nada, no effect whatsoever.

That said, with clean dry hands in a weak signal area I can get the handset to fall off 3G and on to 2G somewhat easily - but then again, who is to say that this didn't happen from time to time with the previous iPhones I had. I also have had some rotten Sony Ericsson that have been singly unable to hold on to a signal for any length of time. Behaving even worse when on the O2 network.

I am somewhat fascinated by the amount of rhetoric and angst that this issue seems to have caused. For certain, Apple have behaved in a rather intolerable manner towards their customers, almost dismissive of their concerns. It is quite shabby treatment to be sure. But the fact remains that the iPhone 4 is a very capable device. There are as many tales of complete satisfaction as there are of utter woe, perhaps very much more so.

There is much to witness ahead I suspect. Having placed themselves on this particular barb it will be interesting to see how Apple get themselves off of it.

miffed
4th July 2010, 07:33 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7380/kjesv.jpg

Ben
5th July 2010, 11:53 AM
That's genius! And exactly as seriously as they should be taking the matter IMHO :D

The Mullet of G
5th July 2010, 04:56 PM
Level 5 Damage Control detected. :D

Hands0n
5th July 2010, 05:14 PM
This is certainly not the time for Apple to be unusually reticent and shy.

miffed
5th July 2010, 06:41 PM
http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Jobs-and-Gates-on-iPhone-4.jpeg

The Mullet of G
6th July 2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Jobs-and-Gates-on-iPhone-4.jpeg

Those pictures are quality, I

blush
7th July 2010, 05:21 AM
We are off to Vegas tomorrow so I will see what happens there. When searching for networks I see only one AT&T network rather than two which I witnessed in 2005. The strange thing back then was o2 had roaming with Cingular but not AT&T so one network worked and the other didnt.

Well after travelling up the west side of the US I would say both AT&T and T-Mobile are pretty bad. In LA the networks were great but in Vegas the signal seemed to come and go. Then in Mammoth Lakes and South Lake Tahoe the signal comes and goes as it pleases. Both the 3GS and Nokia E51 have signal one minute then down to one bar then the network drops for sometimes seconds other times minutes or hours. When I last drove this route the signal in towns was good but it seems like massive network overload now. Probably didn't help being here over independance day but this is neither usable or acceptable. The iPhone 4 may be ok after all and AT&T a major factor.

DBMandrake
12th July 2010, 07:12 PM
Consumer reports in the US have taken the time to test the supposed iPhone 4 signal issues in an actual laboratory test inside a signal isolation chamber, with the phone connecting to a base station simulator so that they can control the test environment completely and accurately measure it:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2010/07/apple-iphone-4-antenna-issue-iphone4-problems-dropped-calls-lab-test-confirmed-problem-issues-signal-strength-att-network-gsm.html

The result is that the issue is real and touching the bottom left gap lightly with one finger can drop the signal by about 20dB. (pretty much exactly the figure the AnandTech article concluded for a light grip) They also tested the Palm Pre and iPhone 3GS and could not reproduce the issue.

For what it's worth, I went into an Apple store yesterday to play with an iPhone 4 for the first time and while I loved the screen, camera, and the build quality I was easily able to reproduce the signal issue - for some reason the Glasgow Apple store iPhone 4 demo units are all on O2 instead of Three as some of you have reported, and starting at a 4 bar 3G signal before being held, a light grip with the bottom left corner in my palm the same way I usually hold my 3GS while surfing the web caused it to drop down to 1 bar 3G and then switch to 2 bars of EDGE.

(I couldn't compare it directly to my 3GS as I'm on Three, and didn't think to take an O2 SIM with me to the store, maybe next time...)

There's nothing imaginary about this, and I tried it on 4 different phones - all the same. :( I'm in a bit of a quandary about what to do if I did have the money to buy one in the near future - skip the iPhone 4 generation and stick with the 3GS, or get one with a case ? Chances of me using one without a case were pretty slim anyway, as I'm paranoid of dropping my existing 3GS let alone a new iPhone 4 :D

What I also found very interesting is that there were two tables of iPhone 4's and two tables of iPad's and the store was as busy as could be, but there were plenty of iPhone 4's free to play with - nearly half of them were not being used by customers, so I was able to walk right in and pick one up, and yet all the iPad's were in use and there were hoards of people hovering around waiting for a turn on the iPad's, so much so that I had to come back later to even get a chance to use one, and had to quickly nab the only free one when I came back. (All the Mac's had people busy playing with them too, with none free)

What does this tell us about the public's perception of the iPhone vs iPad, considering that the iPad is several months old now and seemed to be getting all the attention ? Has the bad press about the iPhone signal issue really affected peoples interest that much ? (Or is the iPad just such a compelling device :) )

DBMandrake
12th July 2010, 09:53 PM
Engadget has a larger version of the video clip: (second video down)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/consumer-reports-confirms-iphone-4-antenna-problems-and-so-do/

DBMandrake
15th July 2010, 08:54 AM
Ok I'm sure you are all sick of hearing about this reception issue (or non-issue depending on who you believe) and it looks like Apple is too, as they are holding a press conference this Friday. (6pm UK time)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/apple-to-hold-press-conference-on-iphone-4-this-friday/

The invite doesn't say it's to address the signal issue, just that it's regarding the iPhone 4 but I think it's a safe bet that it will address the reception issue and possibly the proximity sensor, which has also given a lot of people grief. (Although in the proximity sensor case it may be fixable in software)

There are one of two possible outcomes here - either Apple will try to deny that a problem exists, and "clarify" the issue in much the same way that their earlier written press release did ("we were stunned...." etc) or they will announce how they are going to make good this whole situation.

Assuming they do decide to fess up, here is my prediction of what will happen: (on record, the day before the announcement :) )

They will not admit to a design flaw that affects all iPhone 4's, (as that would be a smoking gun for the class action law suits currently happening in the US if it could be shown they knew about it at release time) but they will admit to discovering "manufacturing problems" affecting "some" iPhone 4's. (Although in reality all are affected, whether the owner notices it or not)

They will claim early batches of iPhone 4's had manufacturing defects not present in prototypes that were affecting the connection to the antenna, and that these were not discovered until the devices were already out in customers hands.

They will claim that this manufacturing issue has now been rectified on the production lines and announce a warranty exchange scheme for "affected" phones. No recall (who does recalls on non safety related issues anyway ?) but a one time like for like swap with basically no questions asked. They will say as supply is limited it may take some time for all units to be exchanged, and they may offer bumper cases for free to those who might expect a significant wait in getting theirs exchanged.

So what is actually be going on behind the scenes ?

I believe they did know about about the issue on release day and that it is a design flaw, but it was discovered too late in the design process (possibly due to rubber cases on field test units) to do anything about it without delaying the release of the phone, and they may have even had their hand forced by the leaked gizmodo iPhone 4 prototype.

From what I've read sales of the current 3GS and 3G dropped off considerably after the Gizmodo leak was confirmed to be real, (people holding off for the new model) so Apple couldn't really afford to push the release date back, nor would they want to give their competitors more time to catch up, so I think they decided to take a risk that the problem wouldn't be noticed much, update the production process to resolve the problem as soon as possible, and do quiet exchanges of revision 2 devices for anyone who reported signal problems.

They were completely unprepared for the media storm that occurred when the problem was picked up on and spread around all over the internet and press.

So what can they do to actually fix it ? Short of a significant physical redesign, I think they have two options -

1) They coat the entire metal frame with something non-conductive but invisible. Although this seems like the obvious answer, unless the coating is relatively thick it won't fully solve the problem as you'll still have capacitance effects compared to using a couple of millimetre thick rubber cases. It will make the bottom left hot spot less sensitive but there will still be a partial issue. You then also have issues with the coating scuffing, or feeling different to users.

2) They redesign the antenna by disconnecting the bottom section between the two bottom black dividing lines. At the moment the bottom left corner has an insulator separating the left side from the bottom - where the sensitive spot is, and the dividing line on the lower right hand side is purely cosmetic for visual symmetry - the right hand side and bottom are in fact connected together inside, as can be seen in tear downs.

With a slight modification to the moulds that stamp out the frames they could change the bottom right hand corner to be insulated like the left hand side with no visual change on the outside as the dividing line was already there. This change means that the bottom section where the dock connector is is no longer part of either antenna system and is fully isolated, and placing a finger or your hand across the bottom left gap will no longer have any effect on reception.

Reception when the phone is not held may be very slightly worse since the antenna length will be shorter, but reception when held normally should be dramatically better.

Placing a finger on the bottom right gap should also have very little effect - and may in fact improve signal rather than make it worse. Gripping fingers between the left and ride sides will not have much effect, as you have the entire length of your fingers and palm between the two - so resistance and capacitance effects are extremely low. (Even now this doesn't really cause an issue)

Only bridging both left and right gaps at the same time would have an effect, and a considerably reduced effect compared to how it is now.

I think it's far more likely they will take option 2 - both because it's a technically better solution, and because it will cause no visible external change, which helps their "manufacturing defect" story better than applying a previously absent external coating. It is possible though that they may choose to modify the bottom right insulator and apply some sort of non-conductive coating - this would give even better results than either option on their own, but it does bring back the issue of surface finish and scuffing etc.

It seems there may already be a few updated iPhone 4's out in the field, as there are now over a dozen people on blog comments who claim that their exchange iPhone doesn't have the death grip problem that their previous unit did, but we'll see... :)

Ben
15th July 2010, 10:35 AM
I suppose the manufacturing glitch route does sound the most likely, but I still can't believe the proportions that this issue is being exploded to. I suppose that's just what Apple get for being Apple - you can't play the media your own way 100% of the time.

For those who do find themselves repeatedly gripping across the death gap I'm sure news of the press conference will be welcome.

We'll see tomorrow if your predictions come true! :D

DBMandrake
15th July 2010, 11:03 AM
I think the reason it's getting so much attention is partly because of Apple's very poor response to the issue so far, (including the early dismissive "just hold different" steve-o-grams) and partly because most people have polarized so vehemently into two camps - those who experience real problems with call drops and reception, and those who don't who basically accuse people on the other side of the argument that they're either lying, mistaken, or exaggerating, which must absolutely infuriate those people who are having genuine real problems after spending up to £600 on what is supposed to be the best smart phone in the world...if you pay that amount of money for a phone you sort of expect there not to be a basic 1st year electrical engineering design flaw.

The amount of venom between the two sides on some forums and blog comments around the internet is unbelievable, and it really seems like some of the people who argue so strongly in the "there's nothing wrong" side are trying to justify their purchase to themselves.

People whose opinions I trust (not just random people on the internet) have demonstrated real and reproducible issues with the reception including dropped calls when used without a case and held left handed...and I was readily able to reproduce a drop from 4 bars of 3G to 1-2 bars of EDGE on all the iPhone 4's I tested in store, so I don't think there is any doubt that there is a real issue at play here, even if it doesn't affect all phones. (Although I think it does)

For those that haven't noticed problems I would say "absence of proof is not proof of absence" :) Just because you personally have not had issues does not mean there is not a design or manufacturing issue with the phone, either some or all units.

The situation is not helped at all by the fact that Apple removed the field test mode, and that the bar reading was already over optimistic ever since it was "tweaked" to read higher in firmware 2.1. (Which Apple now feigns ignorance of - it's in the 2.1 release notes!)

Things are further obfuscated by the fact that 99% of the vocal people debating the issue on the internet either pro or against have no electrical engineering knowledge, have no idea how antennas work, no idea how signals propagate, (how many know that signals get weaker with inverse square law as distance increases ?) no idea how signals are measured and that they are not measured as a percentage - 5 bars is not "100% signal" - there is no such thing as a 100% signal, a signal continues to get stronger with inverse square law until you are practically next to the transmitter - the 5 bar signal level is arbitrarily chosen by Apple, represents a relatively weak signal, and is now being changed in 4.1.

As someone who does understand electrical engineering, (and even studied it to diploma level) does understand antennas, radio propagation and signal measurement with practical experience, I've felt like banging my head against a wall for the last 3 weeks of reading this debate across the internet as people that basically don't know what they're talking about debate the pro and con sides of the argument :D It really is the blind leading the blind. (Or rather the blind debating the blind)

The one good thing is that with enough people hammering away at it the issue will eventually be brought out into the open and resolved - maybe even as early as tomorrow, although I'm not holding my breath.

Apple cannot come out and say the full truth without consequences, but if they put the right spin on it as a "manufacturing issue" and offer exchange units, I think they still have a chance to come out smelling of roses...they just need to swallow their pride and do it.

DBMandrake
15th July 2010, 05:57 PM
Oh my, the plot thickens: :rolleyes:

According to the following report from Bloomberg, Ruben Caballero one of Apple's senior antenna engineers "voiced concern in early planning meetings that it might lead to dropped calls and presented a serious engineering challenge", but the industrial design team (and/or Steve Jobs) went ahead and selected that design anyway.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-15/apple-worker-said-to-tell-jobs-iphone-might-cut-calls.html

Also one of the carrier partners expressed concern over the design of the antenna during testing before official launch.

So while I was trying to give Apple the benefit of the doubt, if this report is to be believed it really does seem that in the battle of form vs function, the industrial design team (and/or Steve Jobs) prevailed over the engineering team, and decision makers at Apple were warned well in advance that the antenna design was going to be problematic and chose to ignore that advice. :(

The timing of this leak is interesting given that Apple has a press conference planned for tomorrow - I wonder how much of Apple's planned announcement will have to be altered in light of this, and I wonder whose agenda it was to release it, whether it's true or just rumour.

One thing is for sure, Ruben Caballero will have an all expenses paid holiday in an underground bunker well away from email and telephones for the next few days :D

This really is a story that just won't die...

DBMandrake
15th July 2010, 07:39 PM
2) They redesign the antenna by disconnecting the bottom section between the two bottom black dividing lines. At the moment the bottom left corner has an insulator separating the left side from the bottom - where the sensitive spot is, and the dividing line on the lower right hand side is purely cosmetic for visual symmetry - the right hand side and bottom are in fact connected together inside, as can be seen in tear downs.

With a slight modification to the moulds that stamp out the frames they could change the bottom right hand corner to be insulated like the left hand side with no visual change on the outside as the dividing line was already there. This change means that the bottom section where the dock connector is is no longer part of either antenna system and is fully isolated, and placing a finger or your hand across the bottom left gap will no longer have any effect on reception.

Hints that placing an internal insulator at the bottom right corner between the bottom and right hand section (instead of connecting them, as they are now) may in fact be what Apple is going to do to achieve a hardware fix ? (This story hadn't been published yet when I wrote the above quote, it would be cool if my prediction pans out :) )

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/15/iphone_4_antenna_hardware_fix_anticipated_as_some_ orders_are_delayed.html

It's rather vague and from an "analyst" but it does seem the only likely fix without a big redesign - it's something that they could easily alter on the production line, and the fact that people are suddenly seeing large delivery delays for new orders does seem to suggest a change may have been made in production.

I guess we'll find out soon - get ready to exchange your phone for a fixed revision 2 one all you early adopters! :D

Ben
16th July 2010, 01:28 AM
I guess we'll find out soon - get ready to exchange your phone for a fixed revision 2 one all you early adopters! :D
You've got to be kidding! iPhone 4DG will be worth a fortune some day!

DBMandrake
16th July 2010, 12:24 PM
I suppose you have a G4 Cube too ? :D

DBMandrake
16th July 2010, 11:25 PM
Ok, so Apple's press release is over, what do people think of Apples position and claims about the matter ? Have they addressed the issue partly, completely, or just painted over it ?

Is free bumper cases until September 30th an acceptable "fix" ? What did you think of the tone of the presentation ?

Apple Website Video of the conference:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/100716iab73asc/event/index.html

Apple Website "Smartphone Antenna Performance" article:

http://www.apple.com/antenna/

If you don't have time to watch the event video (it's nearly an hour long) here are a couple of live blogs that covered the event: (and include Q&A time at the end)

Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/live-from-apples-iphone-4-press-conference/?sort=oldest&refresh=0

gdgt.com

http://live.gdgt.com/2010/07/16/live-iphone-4-press-event-coverage/#sort=asc

(Note: both Engadget and gdgt live blogs are not word for word accurate, there is quite a bit of paraphrasing)

I have my thoughts about today's conference, but I've only seen the live blogs so far and not viewed the actual event video or studied the antenna article on the website yet, so I'm going to reserve final judgement until I've had time to look at and digest both of those - so often with Apple you have to read between the lines, and the live blogs not being word accurate mean that an important point or subtlety (of which there are some) could easily be missed or misinterpreted.

More later :)

@NickyColman
17th July 2010, 10:56 AM
Overall i think the press conference was quite a positive one.

I think Apple deserve points for holding the press conference in the first place. I don't remember Microsoft doing the same for their Xbox 360 console when it had the 'Red Ring Of Death' problem.

It seemed Apple really tried to set out their stall from the very outset - "We're not perfect." Steve came across quite frank and open. He didn't seem to be attempting to pacify us with "But look - we've got these awesome new Macs for you guys to buy!!!".

Steve admitted the handset had issues and I'm glad he seemed to back up his statements with data*.
He showed how many handset they've sold, how many of those have rang AppleCare to report issues and how many returns they've had.
I suppose if Apple dont have evidence that people dont like the handset and it truly is faulty, how can they consider recalling it?

*Obviously, this data is open to interpretation.

Apple showed video 'evidence' that other smart phones have the same problem too. Again, which I liked. I think it might have silenced some critics, yet ignited a whole host of BlackBerry, Samsung and HTC owners who have been dragged into this debate.

As for the free 'Bumper' :D I'm happy with one of those.

Apple & Steve have done all they can do really. A full recall isnt acceptable (from a $$$$ point of view) and I for one wouldn't appreciate my handset being recalled as I've never suffered problems with it. They've acknowledged the issues, presented the data behind the stories, showed openly how much effort they put into design of handset and offered a short term solution (the Bumper). On top of that, they've given anyone who still isnt happy, a full refund.

I dont think Apple could do much more at present. Like Apple stated, they've had 22 days since iPhone 4's release to try to get to the bottom of what was going on, gather evidence/data on the subject then at least try to solve it short term.

I'll be sticking with my iPhone 4. It is without the best handset/software solution I've ever owned. If it means that I have to modify the way I hold it to prevent smothering the antennae then I'm happy with that.

Hopefully Apple will have learned a big lesson from this and iPhone 4 REV A will have these issues sorted out.

8/10 for effort and honesty Apple/Steve.

@NickyColman
17th July 2010, 12:11 PM
As a small side note;

I remember having a Mitsubishi Trium Geo waaaaay back in 1999 - it was the first WAP phone I ever owned. It was a fantastic little handset. I could access the 'internet' wherever I went.

All was great - until I put the phone in my pocket. As soon as the phone entered my pocket the signal was gone. Completely gone. It wasn't exclusive to my trouser pocket either. My coat pocket, jacket, hand, bed quilt - anything.

I complained endlessly to O2 (then BT Cellnet). They gave me the usual 'wipe the sim card with a dry cloth' rubbish.

Eventually I sold the handset. But the handset was completely coated in insulating plastic & coverage on BT Cellnet was never an issue so it couldn't have been blamed on poor coverage.

Ben
18th July 2010, 01:55 AM
As someone who hasn't experienced an issue that has actually affected his use of iPhone 4 I'm entirely baffled by the media hysteria surrounding this issue. However, it's clear that an issue exists, even if I'm sceptical about how many iPhone 4 owners it actually affects.

I'll gladly take my free bumper. Thanks :)

I haven't watched the event yet, just read the coverage (I'm now living in the communications black hole, 256k is unimaginable agony - I'm still on iOS 4.0!) so I look forward to seeing just how humble, or otherwise, Jobs/Apple was/were. I do think this response goes a long way to showing that Apple is still Apple; not a faceless megacorp like the rest of them.

DBMandrake
18th July 2010, 12:48 PM
Well I was going to watch the video of the press event, but Apple seems to have removed it...(it just redirects to the WWDC 2010 event now) so I'll just have to go by the live blogs.

I'm disappointed that Apple haven't come completely clean and have tried in various ways to obfuscate the facts. The whole event was this bizarre dichotomy of "there's nothing wrong with the phone, there is no antennagate, honest, but here you go, have free bumpers, they solve the non-existent problem, so we hear". Why offer free bumpers until September 30th (more on that date later) if the bumpers were only a placebo effect ?

So in the order that points were brought up in the presentation, they first try to say that most other phones have the same problem (signal loss when gripped tightly) and go on to show videos of various other smart phones demonstrating the same problem. (Videos also available on the apple website)

There are two gaping holes in this comparison in my opinion, the first and most glaring one is that they are comparing them strictly by the number of bars dropped - this after they've admitted that the number of bars displayed on the iPhone was "wrong" and admitting that each manufacturer chooses their own bar scale anyway. (It's an arbitrary scale with no international standard of calibration)

So unless we know what bar scale each manufacturer in the test is using, or the tests are done with numeric -dBm readings, this video comparison is utterly meaningless. So one of the other phones in the tests drops more bars - so what ? We don't know what bar scale calibration it uses in the first place, so we don't know how much signal loss those bars represent.

The video of the iPhone 4 dropping 2 bars is clearly showing that iPhone has been updated to 4.0.1 or 4.1 beta, as seen by the taller first 3 bars, so the number of bars dropped will be less than if it had been running 4.0. If I was a cynic I would say they deliberately released 4.0.1 before the press release so they could show videos of the iPhone 4 running 4.0.1 where the problem doesn't look as bad. In iOS 4.0.1 a two bar drop from 3 to one bar corresponds to at least 18dB signal loss, which is a lot, and nothing to be proud of.

The second gaping hole and a deliberate obfuscation is that they are testing with an unnatural "death grip", where all phones will suffer a significant signal loss - this has never been the issue under debate, and even my 3GS suffers significant signal loss if I grip it tightly with my entire palm around the base. The issue with the iPhone 4 is that just placing a single finger across the bottom left gap (or bridging it with your palm) will cause just as much attenuation as a tight death grip on a 3GS. Placing a single finger anywhere on a bare 3GS has no effect that I can determine.

This is because of the direct electrical contact between your skin and the antenna on the iPhone 4, which does not happen with any other currently manufactured phone, and yet this point was not addressed by Apple, nor any of the Q&A questions at the end...

Apple claims that people have only noticed the issue in the first place because the line shows them exactly where to touch - no, it's because there is an obvious sensitive spot in the first place - and there isn't on a 3GS, or any other normal phone.

They then go onto to provide statistics to say how satisfied customers are and how the return rates are lower than the 3GS - but it's just a bunch of hand waving, because the iPhone 4 is such a great phone in every other way, of course there is going to be high customer satisfaction, but that has nothing to do with whether it has an antenna flaw or not. I would say a lot of people choose to keep it as its such a great device minus an antenna flaw that can be worked around by a bumper.

So onto the bumpers, quoting the Macworld liveblog:

"Second, a lot of people have told us, the bumper solves the signal strength problem. Why don't you just give everyone a case? Okay. Everyone will get a free case. Refund if you bought a Bumper.

For every iPhone 4 purchased through September 30. But. We can't make enough bumpers. So what we're going to do, is source some other cases and give users a choice of cases. And they'll be able to pick one."

So after telling us there is nothing wrong and it's no worse than any other phone, they now admit their customers are telling them a case solves the problem, and offer everyone free bumpers. Why offer free bumpers if there wasn't a problem in the first place ? Why even go to the trouble of sourcing 3rd party cases to meet demand if it wasn't a problem ?

A lot of people said Apple would never offer free bumpers as it would be an admission of the problem, and yet somehow that's exactly what they've done, but at the same time denying the whole way through that there even is a problem...

Earlier in the presentation they go to great pains to show just how much they do test the phones during development, and even give a guided tour to a few select journalists to show them the facilities. (which are very impressive by the way) Unfortunately this doesn't gel with their claim that they only first heard about the issue when they started selling the phone - clearly they have the technical facilities to discover it, so the implication to me is that there is no way that they couldn't have known about it before launch, and that they took a calculated risk in going ahead with design, knowing that it had a "weak spot" as they call it.

The fact that they have such advanced testing facilities and yet the problem still occurred tells me that in one of the early design meetings, form trumped function, and the engineers were just told to suck it in and make the best they could of the external antenna design. The rumour that they went ahead with this particular case/antenna design (out of the designs on offer) simply because Steve Jobs liked how it looked rings true to me. I can see an engineer saying that he was concerned about problems with an external antenna and Jobs just saying "Deal with it. Make it work" in the way that he's famous for. Unfortunately this time it came back to bite him.

So what's up with the September 30th date - why offer bumpers free now, but not after September 30th ? The implication to me is that there will be a design change that will have propagated through the supply chain by then, and by September 30th there will be no more "revision 1" iPhone 4's in the retail channels.

There is a lead time of about 2-3 months between implementing a change on the production line, and it actually getting out into the channel, so if they're either working on a hardware fix right now or have just completed one. My guess is they've finished testing some prototypes with fixes last week before the conference was called, once they knew the modification would work they went ahead with the press conference with the bumper until 30th September offer.

In the Q&A afterwards:

"Connie at Bloomberg: Why Sept. 30 for case limit? A: We just are going to wait and see, maybe we'll have a better idea. It's just a chance to say we'll reevaluate it in September."

They can't afford to admit they are actually bringing out a hardware revision over the next two months otherwise the osbourne effect will stop people buying the current model - they have to get it quietly out into the supply channels and then they might say "ok it's fixed now", there is no way they would announce it before hand.

So, interesting events all around. Basically Apple has handed out free bumpers but without admitting any liability, but I think it's clear with the antenna testing facilities they had they knew the problem before launch but took a calculated risk which backfired on them.

I'm pretty convinced that a minor hardware revision (silent recall as some call it) is under way and the revision 2 device - which will look identical externally, has already begun manufacture and will have filled the retail sales channel by September 30th when the free bumper offer ends. (Some of the newer units will be available before then too, but that is the date when the last of the old version will be gone)

Whether they will confess in October that they've "found a solution to the problem" or simply slipstream the new revision in quietly and just do exchanges initiated by customers remains to be seen.

One thing's for sure, I'd be waiting until October to buy one if I was in the market :)

Ben
18th July 2010, 01:24 PM
See, I wouldn't wait - I'm still yet to drop a single call or connection due to the issue, so even if they make a change it's only going to affect the (minority?) of people who naturally bridge that gap between the antennas.

Plus, buy now, get £25 of free case! :D

It sounds to me like Apple have done what they really had to do - they can't admit to a hardware fault and impending hardware update because they'd surely suffer at the hands of the jamassive US legal system. Yes, it comes across as a little dishonest still, and I understand your point about comparing signal bars (though, lets face it, 99% of those 'seeing' the problem are just comparing signal bars, so it's not complete tosh), but they've gone to greater lengths than I think any other manufacturer would faced with a similar issue.

But yes, iPhone 4 still gets a big fat buy now sticker from me!

DBMandrake
18th July 2010, 02:31 PM
Found an updated URL to the video of the press conference, apparently the URL was changed. (I can't seem to edit my original message ?)

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/july-2010/

DBMandrake
18th July 2010, 07:34 PM
For what it's worth, I went into an Apple store yesterday to play with an iPhone 4 for the first time and while I loved the screen, camera, and the build quality I was easily able to reproduce the signal issue - for some reason the Glasgow Apple store iPhone 4 demo units are all on O2 instead of Three as some of you have reported, and starting at a 4 bar 3G signal before being held, a light grip with the bottom left corner in my palm the same way I usually hold my 3GS while surfing the web caused it to drop down to 1 bar 3G and then switch to 2 bars of EDGE.

An interesting update to this - I went back into the same Apple store on Saturday, this time armed with an O2 SIM only to discover that of 20 phones, only two of them were still on O2! About 10 of the phones were sitting displaying NO SIM, about 7 were now on Three, and one was saying No Service even though it had a valid 3 SIM in it according to Settings->About and I was unable to get it to connect despite fiddling with it. (A not yet activated SIM perhaps ?)

It looks like they were in the middle of transfering all the display models from O2 to Three but hadn't finished the job. I also noticed that none of the phones had received the 4.0.1 update released on Thursday.

Is this some kind of nationwide changeover from O2 to Three for display models in Apple stores ?

As for the signal - with an O2 SIM in my 3G (still running 4.0) I was only able to get it to drop from 4 bars to 2 bars while gripping the bottom without a case - and thats on the old bar scale, which means it's a very negligible drop. (In the order of 6dB) Signal while gripped at the base with no case was clearly better than the two remaining O2 iPhone 4's gripped in a similar way which switched to EDGE.

Hands0n
21st July 2010, 03:47 PM
The Bluewater store had all their demo iPhone 4 kit equipped with Three SIMs from the off. A good move if you ask me. Apple do not need the deadwood that is O2 (in the North Kent area) to demonstrate their new flagship handset model. And that was all before the "Antennagate" hiatus kicked off.

Prior to iOS 4.0.1 I have tried my level best to replicate the problems that people have been writing about in every single technical organ on this planet. And I have to tell you that it is incredibly difficult to actually cause it to happen. You really have to seek out a low signal area, not impossible to so, but the iPhone 4 does indeed seem to pull in whatever signal there is prevailing. That is not to say that it cannot be done, but I have had to work at it to cause the signal to drop off into oblivion. On Vodafone, at least, the iPhone happily trips across to 2G if the 3G phenomenon can be caused to occur.

The sheer hype around this issue is extraordinary, you would think that the Pope himself had been caught in a concubine's wardrobe at a neo-Nazi BDSM club in Stuttgart. There appears to be little sanity prevailing around the supposed issue. And every time "gate" is concatenated to a verb it makes my skin creep - and is a sure sign that there is going to be little substance to the hype.

Apple's presentation on the subject, that I viewed in its entirety this morning, was very honourable. They have faced the issue, collected some empirical data and presented it for general consumption. More importantly has been Apple's response to the issue. I think that they are 100% spot on with their offer of a free case (Bumper or otherwise) or a full refund if one really cannot bear to continue to own the device - and you have a full month to check it out before handing it back.

What other manufacturer has been quite so open, honest and, lets face it, quite so pragmatic at offering a range of options to their [at least direct] customers?

The situation is not quite so rosy for those who buy from the likes of CPW or P4U who have no, or very short, "cooling off" periods. But that may change if Apple, and the network operators, work out the means to extend Apple's 'get out' offer beyond their direct channel.

No doubt there are very many who will hotly dispute Apple's quoted data on the issue. And Apple were quite brave, some would say foolhardy, in making direct reference to Nokia, RIM, HTC and Samsung. But the fact is that, in the appropriate weak signal area conditions, the "Antennagate" phenomenon can be reproduced wholly or at least partially. And while watching the video today we were able to demonstrate the effect on Orange-based BlackBerry Bold 9700 and HTC Desire handsets. All the while, I was sitting next to the other person, hotly clutching my iPhone 4 for dear life , and completely unable to cause the device to drop one single bar - even with iOS 4.0.1 update applied.

The anti-Apple zealots fancy that they have a very large and tasty morsel with which to beat up Apple with. They are gravely mistaken. There is no Antennagate other than in the imagination of many. The reality does not stack up in favour of the hype.

I am impressed with Apple's response. Once again they lead where others fear to tread. All credit to Apple on this basis.

blush
22nd August 2010, 02:07 PM
My iphone 4 ownership lasted just two days......:(

After taking delivery on lauch day and returning the phone without removing the cellophane after reading all the concerns and hype at the time I thought I would give the iphone 4 a second chance. I backed up the 3gs and after restoring to the 4 the apps were all over the place and I lost the order they were in.

I have 3g turned off with my 3gs as the 3g signal in Ashford like most places on o2 is lacking. All was going rather well with initially no reception problems and the difference in the ultra clear screen was great. I ordered a case via he free app which said deliver would be in 36 days and slipped the phone like I do with my 3gs into an Apple sock.

I did notice that with the phone naked it was really slippery and putting the phone on the arm of the leather sofa the device slid off and onto the floor. Later I placed the phone stupidly on the side of the bath which promptly slid off and into the bath. I do it all the time with the 3gs and it stays put. I never have any water in the bath when I do this so I'm not completely mad!

The phone felt completely different in the hand, more luxorious than the 3gs. The feling of quality but at the same time I was very concious of the fragile glass. of all the people I know with a iphone 4 over half of them have bounced it from about a metre or less and the glass shattered.

Signal strength was good round town but as soon as I headed out to the country the signal tailed off and I dropped a call twice on the M20 motorway where the 3gs would never drop a call. I use the 3gs naked and as my case from apple was gonna be 36 days I used the 4 naked. The final straw was when I put a call on hold twice whilst ringing the mrs with my face.

The return was a sad affair at Bluewater and the person I returned the phone to kept appologising.

I wanted to love the iphone 4 and until I dropped calls and dialled with my face all was good. Returning from the iphone 4 to the 3gs was like picking up a kids toy. The feel of the 3gs is not really of great quality although the rounded design is quite pleasant. I wanted to hold out and give Apple a chance to bring out a software update but in my mind two months after the product launch is too long. I now feel I have outgrown the 3gs but the 4 is not up to the job and I have no idea of what phone to get next.
I wanted to love the iphone 4 which My iphone 4 ownership lasted just two days......

After taking delivery on lauch day and returning the phone without removing the cellophane after reading all the concerns and hype at the time I thought I would give the iphone 4 a second chance. I backed up the 3gs and after restoring to the 4 the apps were all over the place and I lost the order they were in.

I have 3g turned off with my 3gs as the 3g signal in Ashford like most places on o2 is lacking. All was going rather well with initially no reception problems and the difference in the ultra clear screen was great. I ordered a case via he free app which said deliver would be in 36 days and slipped the phone like I do with my 3gs into an Apple sock.

I did notice that with the phone naked it was really slippery and putting the phone on the arm of the leather sofa the device slid off and onto the floor. Later I placed the phone stupidly on the side of the bath which promptly slid off and into the bath. I do it all the time with the 3gs and it stays put. I never have any water in the bath when I do this so I'm not completely mad!

The phone felt completely different in the hand, more luxurious than the 3gs. The feeling of quality but at the same time I was very conscious of the fragile glass. of all the people I know with a iphone 4 over half of them have bounced it from about a metre or less and the glass shattered.

Signal strength was good round town but as soon as I headed out to the country the signal tailed off and I dropped a call twice on the M20 motorway where the 3gs would never drop a call. I use the 3gs naked and as my case from apple was gonna be 36 days I used the 4 naked. The final straw was when I put a call on hold twice whilst ringing the mrs with my face.

The return was a sad affair at Bluewater and the person I returned the phone to kept apologising.

I wanted to love the iphone 4 and until I dropped calls and dialled with my face all was good. Returning from the iphone 4 to the 3gs was like picking up a kids toy. The feel of the 3gs is not really of great quality although the rounded design is quite pleasant. I wanted to hold out and give Apple a chance to bring out a software update but in my mind two months after the product launch is too long. I now feel

I have outgrown the 3gs but the 4 is not up to the job and I have no idea of what phone to get next.

Hands0n
22nd August 2010, 02:31 PM
Gosh! It looks like this one is not going to be for you, ever :)

Having used the iPhone 4 since day two I cannot say that I've experienced any dropped calls - but then I left O2 ages ago and went on to Vodafone which in my neck of the woods the signal is [as they used to say in CB days] wall to wall and tree top tall ;) I have a little bit of bother in E1 where I work, but the same experience is with the company Nokia 6303 also on the Vodafone network. I have to say, though, that all my time with O2's network was one of complete direness. Hardly ever did I experience 3G on the 3G and 3GS devices. O2's network here sucks pretty badly.

I also have not experienced the face control of the iPhone 4 - didn't Apple issue a fix in iOS 4.0.2 (or 4.0.1, I can't remember which) to fix issues with the proximity sensor? I presume you updated in iTunes as soon as you got the device?

What next?
I'm not sure you've got a ton of choice right now, bizarre as that may sound. Certainly if not an iOS device then it most likely has to be Android. HP/Palm are out of the running in my opinion until they do a complete redesign and get what was the Palm Pre worked out. Otherwise WebOS handsets are likely to be a historical quaintness.

HTC seem to have the broadest array of Android devices, and my recommendation would be to get a generic HTC device to assure yourself of receiving the most current Android updates. The vendor-branded updates are not assured, and can be crippled as Orange did with the HTC Desire where they disabled Google Talk and in doing so crippled quite a bit of functionality that used GTalk's capabilities.

Motorola might be next, although I am not swayed with their build quality.

Huawei are one to watch, but again build quality is questionable

Samsung - I'm biased against Samsung, I don't like their quality nor their stinky attitude to OS updates for previous gen devices.

non-Android
You could research and wait out the new Nokia N8 with the all new Symbian 3 if you fancy your chances. Read up on it here http://www.knowyourmobile.com/comparisons/512357/nokia_n8_vs_iphone_4.html :) Elsewhere on Talk3G I posted a short article and link to an N8 video on YouTube that looked interesting. See it here https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8293-Could-the-Nokia-N8-and-Symbian-3-win-me-back

Apart from that, I can't think of anything else to suggest ... unless you're after the more exotic such as the Nokia N900 (ask Miffed) and suchlike.

Ben
22nd August 2010, 03:39 PM
Just to add that I've not had the proximity sensor or dropped call problems either :/ Maybe try again? :D

Love mine! Couldn't go back to a 3GS. But then I'm not a heavy caller, so I'd be less impacted by the problems you had even if my phone did exhibit them.

@NickyColman
22nd August 2010, 04:26 PM
I've had the proximity sensor problem - my iPhone 4 tried to FaceTime Barclays bank when I was on the phone to them. Which was nice.

blush
22nd August 2010, 04:40 PM
Just to add that I've not had the proximity sensor or dropped call problems either :/ Maybe try again? :D

If I buy or return another iPhone 4 then Apple might just bar me from having an iphone. :p

So far I ordered one for release day which returned for a refund. I then ordered and cancelled four times. I then bought it again and ordered a dock from the online store and using the case app ordered a case. I returned the phone received and sent back the dock and cancelled the case!

When I look at the order page on my itunes account it is rather embarassing:o:eek:

blush
22nd August 2010, 04:43 PM
I've had the proximity sensor problem - my iPhone 4 tried to FaceTime Barclays bank when I was on the phone to them. Which was nice.

When I put my wife on hold I blamed her, I was quite gutted when I worked out what actually happened. I couldn't repeat the proximity sensor thing at home, might have been cos I was driving in bring sunlight with the phone to my head which is of course illegal so maybe Apple built a special function in to put the call on hold till I had parked up:D

blush
22nd August 2010, 05:03 PM
Gosh! It looks like this one is not going to be for you, ever :)

Thing is I really like the design and loved the phone I just figured at the time that having a phone that didnt make calls very well was not so good.

I am like most of you on talk3g a Nokia user of old and it really saddens my that Nokia lost the plot so badly and keep trying to make Symbian work. All the Nokia phones I have owned showed good signal strength and hold on to calls better than the iphone. I have a Nokia 6303 for work and quite frequently my wife rings me on the iphone and the call drops from dire o2 signal. Thing is she always rings me back on the cheap 6303 and always gets through with no dropped calls or cutting in and out. So as both the iphone and work phone are on o2 I can't blame o2 cos the cheap phone works fine.
I make and receive a hell of a lot of calls acrosss Kent and East Sussex where my work takes me and it's very rare to have no signal.

I got my old E61 and E51 the other day and left my iphone at home and by the end of the day I had given up attempting to text and use them as internet devices. I wonder if I should have a basic nokia for calls and an ipad for email/web etc. I still want to be proven wrong about the iphone 4 though really. The 4 was updated to 4.02 Danny unfortunatly, reading the Macrumours forum makes me smile, some of the folk on there have real problems.

I looked at the N8 video and the write up but at the end of the day it's still a symbian handset. I think once you have used iOS for a couple of years then it is very hard to move on to something else unless it is as user friendly.

I havent seen any Android phones in action I must admit and don't know anyone who owns one. Perhaps I should have a tinker with a desire.

People who have reviewed the N900 say the software feels unfinished so I am not too keen on that either.

I'll wait for the next update for the iphone 4 I think and see if the complaints on Mac Rumors forum go down!

Perhaps I should of worked out how to multi quote!

Ben
22nd August 2010, 06:38 PM
Lmao @NickyColman :D

Nokias were definitely 'coverage robust', if that makes sense. I tried several phone manufacturers over the years but always went back to Nokia.

These days, for me, coverage plays somewhat second fiddle to whether the phone can actually perform admirably as an Internet device. Though one isn't much good without the other!

The Mullet of G
22nd August 2010, 09:28 PM
I've had the proximity sensor thing, was on the phone to my mate who also has an iPhone 4 and my face decided to activate the loudspeaker, less than 30 seconds later my mates iPhone 4 did exactly the same thing. I'm on 4.01.