PDA

View Full Version : How To: Unlock the Three MiFi E585 - manual method, completely free of any cost

Pages : [1] 2

Hands0n
30th August 2010, 05:25 PM
Update - January 2012
Please go to this post (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8334-How-To-Unlock-the-Three-MiFi-E585-manual-method-completely-free-of-any-cost&p=45241#post45241) for the most recent success story. The firmware in the E585 has been changed over time and the process has changed also.

Update - June 2011

Please go to Post #84 onwards to read about how our forum members have managed to use a modified version of the below process to unlock the latest firmware for the E585. I will update this post with the detail as soon as I can. If you are able to unlock the latest firmware using the modified process please post your experience on here.

Update - May 2011
It appears that the newest firmware for the E585 cannot, at this time, be unlocked using the method stated in this thread. Zibri claims to have updated his utility to do the unlock, and that seems to be the only viable means right now. That may change in time.

As soon as we have an update on how to unlock the current version of the firmware we will post it upon this thread.

**Edit** The PSAS software (see below) is no longer available on the link below. Instead use this link to grab yourself a copy of PSAS to do the work --> http://www.2shared.com/file/nSGmVJH7/psas.html

I have also uploaded a copy to Fileswap.com http://bit.ly/hw617u
and Dropbox http://db.tt/My3Y2uf

Thanks also to the poster on this thread #45 for the info - https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8334-How-To-Unlock-the-Three-MiFi-E585-manual-method-completely-free-of-any-cost&p=42349#post42349

This is a rather lengthy post, there is a lot to cover. Don't be put off. I just wanted to encapsulate a 50-page thread from another forum into one single and concise posting. This is it.

I absolutely detest any form of Service Provider (SP) locking of devices, especially those that are obtained on contract. The cost of the device while subsidised is fully recovered over the life of the contract. And so I always take the trouble to unlock such SP locked devices if I can. The Three MiFi is no exception to the rule.

Why even bother in the first place? Well, it is general experience that the UK mobile network operators do not have 100% UK national coverage, even if their coverage maps suggest otherwise. And so it is, usually, convenient to be able to pop in another network's SIM should the situation arise.

There are plenty of paid-for Unlock deals for the Three MiFi (the E585 being their current model). These hover around the £10 mark. But the great thing is that the unlock code is embedded in the MiFi firmware if only you could get to it.

And so you can. But it does take a little bit of work with a software tool and about 30 minutes of your time if you pace yourself and don't rush.

At this point I must stress that you do any of this at your own risk. If you get it wrong then you have only yourself to blame. But outside of that rather stern sounding caveat I should just say that it really is a simple process.

The main part of the process is culled from another site. You will have to download the PSAS software and install it to your Windows PC (works with XP, Vista and Windows 7). There may be a bit of adjusting settings required, I will cover these off after the main process itself.

Important: This is very, very, very important. Before you make a start on this please ensure that you read this entire posting and gather together and install and make sure that you know where all the software is that you will need.

Macca's help guide!

()- General Info
""- Click to select on PSAS

Requirements:

3 wireless Manager- (whatever software that came with your modem, in order to recognise your modem on usb mode)
PSAS Software (the Free version) from Phone System Analysis Software - PSAS | The successor of QMAT - (on the downloads page) (http://psas.revskills.de/?q=node/6)
MS Windows Notepad- (This is from accesories on windows START menu)

SETUP to get everything ready to unlock your Mi-Fi)

Install PSAS software on windows computer.

After this, change the sim card inside your modem,
(to a diferent network sim card)
connect to the computer with usb cable and install the software that come with your Mi-Fi,then close down the Mi-Fi software.
(make sure that you are not connected to the modem via wireless and the software that come with your Mi-Fi is not running, this step is only for instalation of the Mi-Fi Drivers)

USING PSAS To retrieve your unlock code)

Switch On your E585 and wait for it to start up completely

Run PSAS

On PSAS main page you have tab menus, select the "Hardware Forensics" menu tab and select "Use Mobile Port" this will open another PSAS program window for you (which is where all the magic happens)

In the new window:
on the "SETUP" menu tab (which you are on already)just select the "Serial COM Port" (you need to choose the one that says that is your 3G Application Interface, not the one that says PC UI Interface whatever the COM Port), then select the "baud speed" (This varies depending on the computer speed and windows OS), and thats all you have to do for the setup menu tab

Next go to the "DIAG" menu tab and click on "send" this should now show some numbers on the open space box below, On the 'Diag Functions box' (box below the "send" button box)you wanna select "Read EFS" instead of Save memory to file then tick "Alternative Method" then on "max page" type: 250 (i did 250 but can range from 200 to 600 depending on the lines), then click "lets go", this will ask you to save a file so just name it and save it onto desktop. (you have to keep trying, PSAS will crash often and the more lines the most likely to crash)Once it works it will save the file to the desktop You now have a log file which will tell you your unlock code

USING NOTEPAD to find your unlock code from PSAS log file)

Open Notepad
Now open this log with windows notepad and search for your code.The easiest way is to use the find feature in your
notepad and type "PST" (NB: See also below) this will send you to your unlock code which are the numbers after the word PST, if you look
around you will also see your srl. number.
(if your note pad hasnt found the word PST in search it means you have to get more lines on the "Max page" procedure)

INSERTING ACTIVATION CODE Last step, entering the Unlock code.

Now connect your Computer to your Mi-Fi wireless and try to open any page, this will redirect you to 192.168.1.1/simlock.asp if not type "192.168.1.1/simlock.asp" into your browser and when the page loads type the code that you got from notepad

MY MESSAGE:

Thanks to all the posters in this forum you have really helped me and saved me some time and cash. Hope this will do the same for others.

I cannot guarantee this will work for you but this is what i did to get my E585 unlocked, if anything happens to your Mi-Fi do not hold me responsible for it, as all this information is already in this post i merely compiled, thus the reason i thank all the people that posted here. Good luck doing yours, read the forums it was hard for me as it was my first time but be resilient and you will succeed!!

Source URL: http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/6265659-post108.html

Searching for the Unlock Code
There appear to be a number of versions of the E585 firmware out in the wild. In the above procedure you are advised to search for the string "PST" in the log file that you produced using PSAS.

Elsewhere on that forum one experienced member advises to search for the string "LT P" (again, without the quotes but exactly as shown here). If correct then you will see an 8-digit string of numbers to the right of the search string.

PSAS keeps crashing or won't work
I believe that this may be an issue limited to Windows 7 and the E585 together. What happens is that while producing the log file PSAS may error in Windows 7 and have to be force closed. The answer to this is to reduce the speed that PSAS uses to communicate with the E585. In my case I set the speed to 57,600 which worked fine. You do not need a fast speed as you are only going to be working with a tiny amount of data to be retrieved from the E585. So just go for a low speed or try setting the PSAS speed slower successively until one works.

Note, you may have to unplug the E585 and then plug it back in again between changes of speed in PSAS. You may also need to power the E585 off and then on again between each speed change.

Conclusion
So, assuming you followed everything above correctly, that you didn't experience any issues that you could not overcome, and that everything worked as it should have, then you should have a fully working and unlocked Three E585 MiFi in your hands.

Enjoy :)

Ben
30th August 2010, 06:33 PM
That sounds really comprehensive, thanks Hands0n! Very intrigued by the unlock procedure being built into the web interface - genius in terms of allowing an operator to issue unlocks without software!

I'll be needing an excuse to go into Canterbury to buy one of these, pronto! Stereo MiFi just sounds too good ;)

robbiezxc
28th September 2010, 11:16 PM
hi
i just unlock my 3 ireland MIFI with windows 7 useing this and it worked just fine first time
just wanted to say thanks

Hands0n
29th September 2010, 11:59 AM
Hi robbiezxc, welcome to Talk3G. Thank you for the feedback and congrats on your unlock :) It really is liberating knowing that you can pop in any GSM/UMTS SIM you like and it'll work. Dead useful if travelling abroad as some foreign mobile operators have neat PAYG mobile data plans for their locals :)

Ben
29th September 2010, 01:36 PM
Tempting me to try it now :p

Hands0n
29th September 2010, 11:58 PM
Tempting me to try it now :p

You know it makes sense ;)

Red Devil 1878
12th October 2010, 12:38 AM
An absolutely fantastic post Hands0n. I followed your instructions to unlock the E585 1st time round, within minutes of seeing it here. My Vodafone 1GB Non-Expiry SIM is working a treat in it.

You deserve a medal mate. Beats paying some donkey called Zibri (or whatever) a £10 "donation" any day of the week!! Don't suppose you have any similar instructions to unlock 3's ZTE MF 112 modem?

I purchased a few of 3's 12GB starter packs; was only really interested in the 12GB 12 month expiry SIM so would like to unlock the modems to sell as I have no use for them.

Hands0n
12th October 2010, 07:38 PM
Hello Red Devil 1878 - Welcome to Talk3G. I'm glad you got the unlock working for you with the script above. Its great to know that people are benefitting from it.

Sorry but I can't help with the ZTE MF 112 as I've not come across one of those in my travels. I'll keep an eye open and if anything comes up I'll post it on here for you :)

Red Devil 1878
15th October 2010, 12:45 PM
I really appreciate that Hands0n. I have a further question if I may.

Can the "PSAS Unlocking App" you detail above, unlock (or give you the unlock code for) most phones/dongles or is it specific to E585 and a handfull of other devices?

I'm tempted to follow the above instructions but with my ZTE connected. I guess I don't have much to loose, but I'll hold fire until you get a chance to respond. Thanks again for the above! Pure Class!

Hands0n
15th October 2010, 08:57 PM
Well that is a good question. The PSAS app is fairly general purpose and is used for a lot more than we are making use of it here. In this specific case we're using it to take a memory dump so we can search for the embedded unlock code in the device. I do not know if ZTE incorporate the unlock code in their dongle's operating system, they may.

So, not really much of a useful answer I'm afraid. But it may be worth searching through the ZTE's memory if PSAS will read it and see if there is a regular string of numbers that might be its code.

But the example above for the MiFi is really tailored around that device so it may not work on other devices.

HTH

Y4Food
15th November 2010, 03:17 PM
Hands0n, you are a star!

I run an internet takeaway food site and take my iPad everywhere to deal with rejected orders and such. Its ok when I am in the UK, but when I am abroad I have to stay in the hotel in case I need internet access which also costs a fortune. Now I can just pop a local SIM in to the MiFi and everything is good.

Thanks a million!

Hands0n
15th November 2010, 07:53 PM
@Y4Food - you are very welcome sir :) I'm glad this thread is getting good use, it certainly did the job for me and it is always good to see others able to make the same stuff work "off the shelf" :)

Glenn
26th November 2010, 01:19 PM
I was a little nervous at doing this as I had only just got my e585 from Three....when it came to putting the unlock code in at the end, the web page kept freezing and their are only 3 attempts. Anyway it worked a treat and now I'm surfing with Orange. One problem I did have at first though is, I could connect and get a strong signal but had no internet access...no pages would load. I would get the yellow exclamation mark. Within 30mins it had sorted itself out and now all is well. Thank you so much for this information.... I too hate been boxed in by providers.

Hands0n
26th November 2010, 11:02 PM
Hi Glenn - welcome to Talk3G. I'm not sure why the web page would have frozen but am glad that it worked for you in the end.

Perhaps a good tip for anyone else visiting and trying this out would be to clear your browser's Cache beforehand - its only a guess.

Ben
27th November 2010, 12:30 AM
Great to see so many people benefitting from this.

Don't forget how great Three's network seems to be these days, though. Definitely get unlocked, but send a bit of money Three's way to see if the service is good enough because if you've got coverage you'll probably find that they kick every other network to the curb in terms of performance right now.

Hands0n
28th November 2010, 03:26 PM
I would like to second that sentiment from Ben. It is not at all unusual for me to be using my iPhone which has a Vodafone SIM across my MiFi with a Three SIM installed. My specific reason for unlocking the MiFi were twofold. Firstly I do not like locked kit, it is an abomination to me. Secondly, I often take my MiFi with me on holiday or about when I travel. I like to be able to pop another network's SIM into the MiFi should I want or need some mobile data, whether that be in the UK or one of the various international destinations that I am likely to visit.

dkny2000
6th December 2010, 02:49 AM
i would like to think you
my e585was locked & i unlocked it but how i can change the sitting coz the username (admin) & the password NOT (admin)
so is there any way to reset the device to login the sitting?
thank you
best regards

Hands0n
6th December 2010, 09:39 PM
Have you tried the password = Admin (uppercase A)?

zubo
10th December 2010, 04:42 PM
Hi All

Hope someone has seen this...

a pal referred me here after I paid 10Euros to zibri and his unlock failed and he never returned my email...
a simple, I dont know the answer, would have been preferable to no reply...

ah well, yawn.... let me not waste too much of your time reading this.

First, in your instructions you stiplute get PSAS but is that the one to buy or the free one?? I used the free one to install.

I have a 3 e585 I'm trying to unlock, my notebook is running Win7 connecting wirelessly to my Broadband router. I have inserted a Vodafone sim and connected to the usb port.

I start PSAS select Hardware Forensics, Use Mobile Ports,

my serial com port states COM6 HUAWEI Mobile Connect - USB Device (COM6) which looks correct

I select DIAG tab the diag commands field is pre-filled with 00
I click Send and I get a dialog box
Runtime Error! The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way...

and so it terminates.

Anyone know what is wrong please???

thanks

george

zubo
10th December 2010, 04:52 PM
sorry guys....

need to switch the device ON.... forget this...

Hands0n
10th December 2010, 05:10 PM
:) Hi Zubo - an easy thing to do. So hopefully you got it unlocked okay using the method above like several others have too.

To answer your question - just in case anyone else is thinking the same thing - the PSAS software you want is the free version. There is no need to buy a copy, you should not need to pay.

I'll update the original post above. :)

r_m
16th December 2010, 02:43 PM
hey guys, i downloaded the free version of the PSAS.
I up to where it says "Next go to the "DIAG" menu tab and click on "send" this should now show some numbers on the open space box below, On the 'Diag Functions box' (box below the "send" button box)you wanna select "Read EFS" instead of Save memory to file then tick "Alternative Method" then on "max page" type: 250"
On the "Diag Function box", I couldnt find "read EFS" on the list.
Did i download the wrong version of PSAS or do i need to pay for the full version??

Hands0n
16th December 2010, 08:08 PM
Hi r_m, welcome to Talk3G.

Firstly, you definitely do not need to pay for the full version. The free one will do the trick.

Please try again, working through the instructions in the original post carefully, one step at a time. I cannot think why you can't see "Read EFS" in the Diag Function box. It should be there, I just checked it again.

If you're still in trouble please post back on here with a screenshot and I'll see if I can help further.

netpots
17th December 2010, 07:03 PM
Hi
Purchased an E585 from 3. I have tried to unlock using the instructions (running Windows 7) but when trying to save file I get the error message 'phone does not respond. Maybe another software is blocking the port'. Any ideas??

Hands0n
17th December 2010, 11:15 PM
Hi netpots - welcome to Talk3g

Make sure nothing is interfering with the USB port. A likely candidate is the 3Connect software. Or possibly another USB Dongle connect utility. You may need to check in Task Manager to see if there are any processes associated with 3G connectivity running.

Possibly, also, is that you may have selected the wrong USB port in PSAS - often it will show two different ports for the E585. If one does not work then try the other.

I also picked this up on the Internet while doing a spot of checking ...

Unlocked Vodafone E585 AUS mk2 with PSAS WIN7 32bit, DONT PAY TO UNLOCK.
My theory is (can someone please confirm) I had tried and tried using Psas adjusting the settings as advised with no luck I kept getting Error
Phone does not respond. Maybe another software is blocking the port. I then installed dc unlocker to check the unlock status, run it and it told me its simlocked and also said the diagnostic port was on the same port as the modem..... Strange i thought it was meant to be a different port to the PC UI Interface port. This made me wonder has it also temp opened the diagnostic port so I left it open in the background.
Then i went into PSAS and selected:
COM# - \Device \QCUSB_COM#_1 (# matches same com port modems using).
It was at baud rate of 115000.
Next diag + send 00
Read EFS
Max page 250
Alternative method, lets go and saved the file name with success. Code entered and unit working with another sim.

See how you get on with those hints.

netpots
18th December 2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the additional info. I had to downlaod and run DC Unlocker in the background. It then worked a treat. My unit is now unlocked. I put in the APN for Virgin Mobile and away it went. Thanks very much saved me £15 fee to 3 plus the phone call.

Hands0n
18th December 2010, 06:48 PM
I'm wondering if you have the later software (mine is first generation E585). I did read somewhere that the newer generation was causing some issues. Interesting that DC Unlocker in the background helped! Marvelous. :)

Thanks very much for feeding back. I'll update the original post.

netpots
18th December 2010, 11:04 PM
I only bought it last week so it is probably the new firmware.

Euan
12th January 2011, 11:45 AM
I was a little nervous at doing this as I had only just got my e585 from Three....when it came to putting the unlock code in at the end, the web page kept freezing and their are only 3 attempts. Anyway it worked a treat and now I'm surfing with Orange. One problem I did have at first though is, I could connect and get a strong signal but had no internet access...no pages would load. I would get the yellow exclamation mark. Within 30mins it had sorted itself out and now all is well. Thank you so much for this information.... I too hate been boxed in by providers.

Hi Glen,

I'm getting exactly the same issue. How did you get past it? The page just keeps freezing and I need to reboot the Mifi to get going again.

Many thanks,

Euan

Hands0n
12th January 2011, 08:02 PM
I'm getting exactly the same issue. How did you get past it? The page just keeps freezing and I need to reboot the Mifi to get going again.

Hi Euan, welcome to Talk3G.

Try another browser, possibly Chrome, Firefox or even Safari. Perhaps before that you could try clearing your browser cache and forms data. These can sometimes be a source of trouble.

Good luck :)

Lpinner
12th January 2011, 08:40 PM
Hands0n, thanks for such a great tutorial, worked first time and now have my voda data sim installed!!

However, I have no internet access, I've been waiting about 20 minutes and it keeps trying to connect and then disconnecting and in windows I get the yellow exclamation mark and no internet access message, any ideas how this can be resolved or if i have missed something??

thanks in advance

Hands0n
12th January 2011, 10:15 PM
Hi Lpinner, welcome to Talk3G also. I suspect that you do not have a 3G data connection working, yet. The chances are that for some reason the E585 has not picked up the correct APN information for your network (the most likely root cause). Either that or you do not have a mobile data service on your SIM and may need to get Vodafone to turn it on.

Check the following and work your way through the various steps and see how you get on:

By default the Huawei E585 is configured to work with the Three mobile network. To use your unlocked E585 with a different network operator, the APN settings need to be changed. Below are instructions on how to change the APN settings

Make sure your MiFI is connected to your PC and the 3MobileWiFi software has successfully installed.

Open '3MobileWiFi' or Click http://192.168.1.1
Find the section 'Change Your Settings'
Enter admin password (By default the password is 'Admin')
Click Log In
Click Advanced Settings > Connection Settings > Profile Settings > New
‘Profile Name’ – Anything you want (e.g. Vodafone Profile)
‘Connection Number’- *99#
‘UserName’ – Your network operator’s username (Click here for details (http://tinyurl.com/63q8mal))
‘Password’ - Your network operator’s password (Click here for details (http://tinyurl.com/63q8mal))
‘Authntication’ - PAP
APN - Your network operator’s APN (Click here for details (http://tinyurl.com/63q8mal))
IP Address - Dynamic
Click Save > Continue > Advance Settings > Connection Settings > Connection Settings
Select your new profile from the 'Profile List' drop down menu (e.g. Vodafone Profile)
Click Apply

Source: http://tinyurl.com/6hnvrxo

AndyK
14th February 2011, 10:10 PM
Hi there - I have just got an E585 from Three and tried in vain to unlock. My problem seem to be that I never get the Application Interface COM port showing up - I only ever see the User Interface COM port. Of course if I try and use the UI port then I get the port locked or not responding error.

If I check in Device manager I only ever see one COM port and an Ethernet Device which show up when the E585 is powered on. When off another COM port appears, but this won't talk to PSAS either.

Does anyone know how to get the Application Interface COM port to show up so that I can get PSAS working?

Thanks

Andy

Hands0n
14th February 2011, 11:00 PM
Hi AndyK, welcome to Talk3G.

Are you using Windows 7? There have been a lot of this kind of issue with the way that Win7 handles the PSAS utility. If you look at the earlier post number 25 (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8334-How-To-Unlock-the-Three-MiFi-E585-manual-method-completely-free-of-any-cost&p=41201#post41201) in this thread you'll see that there has been some success gained by first running DC Unlocker tool (used to view the lock/unlock state of your E585) and leaving it running all of the time. Run up PSAS and it should discover the port used by the E585.

Give that a go and see how you get on. Good luck.

ds456
3rd April 2011, 01:45 PM
Just to say thanks, worked first time for me.

Needed to 'Max Page' to 600 and try a few times to get a full firmware if that helps anyon.

Hands0n
3rd April 2011, 09:02 PM
Nice one ds456 - great to hear and thank you for the tip which I'm certain others will find very useful.

kodi
5th April 2011, 06:41 PM
Hello, I have managed to get my unlock code however I am unable to grt to the simlock page at 3. any help please... thanks in advance KO

Hands0n
5th April 2011, 06:59 PM
Hi Kodi - welcome to Talk3G

Can I ask if you have tried the full URL to get to the SIMLOCK page

INSERTING ACTIVATION CODE Last step, entering the Unlock code.

Now connect your Computer to your Mi-Fi wireless and try to open any page, this will redirect you to 192.168.1.1/simlock.asp if not type "192.168.1.1/simlock.asp" into your browser and when the page loads type the code that you got from notepad

Alternatively, try putting a non-3 SIM into the MiFi and power it up, then go to the MiFi using 192.168.1.1 and it should automatically steer you to the simlock.asp page (or whatever it may be called if that has changed in the version that you have).

Do please let us know how you get on.

kodi
5th April 2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the fast response, putting a non 3 sim has indeed allowed me to access the simlock page, I now have mu O2 mobile broadband sim in however all i'm getting is no network. do i still use the 3 software to manage the mifi? thanks again.

Hands0n
5th April 2011, 09:17 PM
You're very welcome, I'm glad you got it done okay. You will need to continue using the 3 software to manage the MiFi unless you've flashed the MiFi with a Huawei generic firmware that supports Web Browser mangement (like the newer E585 MiFi). So now you need to configure the MiFi with the O2 APN settings - one of the best places for these is Filesaveas --> http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html

gurrag
10th April 2011, 10:01 PM
I am having issues with a somewhat newer E585 for 3. Despite having read 666 lines, I still find no PST there. Does anyone know if something can have been changed in the firmware?

/g

fariz
18th April 2011, 03:13 PM
I have downloaded the PSAS software version 2.04, and the options are different than what your guide says. In the DIAG tab, there is no 'max page' settings after choosing 'Read EFS factory image'. And the log that i managed to save only has this in it:

‡g…4Yw4’ - @ P ð ÿÿÿÿ1 ý ÿÿÿÿý ð ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ

Can someone help me? My device could have a new firmware, as i bought it on April 10, 2011

Hands0n
18th April 2011, 08:16 PM
Hi Fariz, welcome to Talk 3G.

With regard to the PSAS software. I do not have the version you are referring to, they tend to update it frequently. However, the Max Page setting will be there somewhere, probably moved on to another tab or in a menu somewhere. I say this because what you have had returned in the log is only the minimal amount of data, probably 256bytes. You need to pull in more of the ROM memory to find the Unlock code that is embedded therein.

Please check through the PSAS menus and tabs again, carefully. If you still cannot find the setting I will have to try the latest version for myself - but I don't have a PC to use at the moment (I'm generally on Mac) so it may take me a little while.

fariz
20th April 2011, 12:49 PM
cant find it in other tabs as well. I hope u find a PC as soon as possible :P

only-on-this-forum-now
21st April 2011, 11:38 PM
I have downloaded the PSAS software version 2.04, and the options are different than what your guide says. In the DIAG tab, there is no 'max page' settings after choosing 'Read EFS factory image'. And the log that i managed to save only has this in it:

‡g…4Yw4’ - @ P ð ÿÿÿÿ1 ý ÿÿÿÿý ð ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ

Can someone help me? My device could have a new firmware, as i bought it on April 10, 2011

Had exactly the same problem. PSAS is no longer available for download in the link that was given, PSAS is superseded and the link now points to RevSkills 2.04
I failed to read the EFS factory image with RevSkills, got exactly the same characters dumped in a text file. SPent an hour playing around with the frikkin pgrogram but got no closer to a resolution...

Found a version of PSAS on http://www.2shared.com/file/nSGmVJH7/psas.html installed it and that has exactly the same tabs and fields!!!
High hopes and eventually managed to dump the EFS into a raw text file (my unlock code was 8 digits). Had to try at least 5-6 times, because (as described in this thread) the PSAS software keeps crashing.
A dump of 100 lines did not contain my PST unlock code, but one of 200 lines did eventually.

More details: did this on a Windows XP SP3 Professional PC and firmware version of the Mifi (original 3 mobile firmware) is 1026.11.64.11.503 (you can see that in Admin > diagnostic info)

Even though it is unlocked now will stay with 3 mobile, pretty happy with quality/price but just wanted it unlocked to potentially use abroad with a local SIM (even though prices of mobile broadband in UK seem to be ridiculously cheap compared with anywhere else)

Hands0n
22nd April 2011, 05:05 PM
Hi "only-on-this-forum-new" (neat handle) and welcome to Talk3G. Thank you for the information on the location of the PSAS software. I had not realised that it had changed and that should help Fariz with his problem.

I have updated the original post and credited you with the find :)

Also added another two storage locations just in case there are any takedowns.

fariz
28th April 2011, 10:18 PM
THANKS. Finally able to unlock it using the PSAS software

gonna try it with vodafone sim after i find the apn settings etc

Hands0n
28th April 2011, 11:47 PM
Excellent - that is good to hear. The best place to get all the APN settings is http://filesaveas.com/gprs.html

c0llins05
1st May 2011, 12:26 PM
Hi HandsOn,

Thanks for the great guide, I was this close to forking over a £10er to get this thing sorted but hopefully now I wont have to. I do however have a bit of an issue. I run PSAS and manage to select app interface and leave the baud rate at 115200. In diag I click send and set to READ EFS and Max Page 250. My concern arises after clicking Lets Go I recieve a message saying "EFS Read not supported by phone" and then I get the crash you mentioned. Have tried around 30 or 40 times and still getting no where. Do you have advice you can give me to resolve this or should I just keep trying. I know you said to keep going but I got the impression it would work after a few trys and not this many.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hands0n
2nd May 2011, 12:48 AM
Hi Chris, welcome to Talk3G. It can take a little persistence. However, if it hasn't worked after about three or four times then it is unlikely to unless you change something.

It seems that the baud rate can be the answer to the problem - some PCs or Laptops seem to have problems communicating at the higher speeds, even over USB. In one case, with a Netbook, I had to crank the baud rate all the way down to 9600. That is not so terrible as you're only bringing in a small amount of data and so even at that speed (or less) it isn't a big wait.

Give that a try and see how you get on.

WillieMaykit
7th May 2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks HandsOn for posting this and netpots for the tip about DC Unlocker.

I unlocked a sp01 device using PSAS and DC Unlocker on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. Using the PC UI Interface worked for me.

desijatt
11th May 2011, 02:24 AM
I have followed the instruction very carefully, but can't find PST File in Notepad, can some please advice as to what I should be doing. I have tried the Max Page from 200 to 50,000 and I can not find PST in my Notepad.

Thanks

Edit. E583c is similar to the Device you are guys are talking about in this thread, I believe the only difference is that this is a North American Version.

Ben
11th May 2011, 08:11 AM
Hi desijatt,

Do they run the same firmware, do you know? The E583C looks very different in terms of the hardware, but I appreciate it could just be a repackaged E585.

desijatt
11th May 2011, 11:49 PM
I am not sure, if it has the same firmware or not, any advice on how I can find out. Any one have any other advice

MTT
16th May 2011, 04:40 PM
I received my MiFI E585 2 weeks ago. But I can not extract the code from the log file, it's just not there. In other devices E585 I have unlocked before after the s/n there is the code but with this new device there is only empty space on the place where should be PST ********

Anyone who knows a solution for this?

The-Kevster
16th May 2011, 06:07 PM
I received my MiFI E585 2 weeks ago. But I can not extract the code from the log file, it's just not there. In other devices E585 I have unlocked before after the s/n there is the code but with this new device there is only empty space on the place where should be PST ********

Anyone who knows a solution for this?

I have exactly the same problem. Only bought last week and there's no PST or LT P. The dump is good as I can see my wifi SSID and passphrase. :cool:

Hands0n
16th May 2011, 09:08 PM
Is it empty space or non-printing ASCII characters? That is, look at the Hex codes for the "spaces" and see if they are anything meaningful. It may be that they've employed some simple method of using a different ASCII code to represent the unlock code numbers. So, 0 in ASCII is 48, in Hex it is 30, 1 in ASCII is 49, in Hex it is 31, 2 in ASCII is 50, in Hex it is 32 and so on ...

I do not have one of the newer devices so cannot see what is there. If you can't figure it out, take a full copy of the code and pop it up on one of the many free file-servers and let me have the URL. I'll download it and have a look through with a Hex editor to see if I can spot anything that may help.

The-Kevster
16th May 2011, 09:12 PM
Is it empty space or non-printing ASCII characters? That is, look at the Hex codes for the "spaces" and see if they are anything meaningful. It may be that they've employed some simple method of using a different ASCII code to represent the unlock code numbers. So, 0 in ASCII is 48, in Hex it is 30, 1 in ASCII is 49, in Hex it is 31, 2 in ASCII is 50, in Hex it is 32 and so on ...

I do not have one of the newer devices so cannot see what is there. If you can't figure it out, take a full copy of the code and pop it up on one of the many free file-servers and let me have the URL. I'll download it and have a look through with a Hex editor to see if I can spot anything that may help.

I don't know the hex locations so here is my log file. Uploaded to dropbox so you don't have to wait :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18412241/MyLog.zip

Hands0n
16th May 2011, 09:20 PM
@The-Kevster - Thanks. I'll have a looksee.

Another thing worth trying - DC Unlocker provide a free download of a utility here --> http://www.dc-unlocker.com/downloads

I haven't used it but looking through the fee for credits it says on the website that to unlock the E585 there is no credit required, it is free to do. So that may well just have made this entire thread redundant :D

Give that a try and let us know how you get on. Meanwhile I'll go dig out that Hex editor :)

The-Kevster
16th May 2011, 09:27 PM
I don't see it for free anywhere. The price list says 15 credits @ $1 per credit :(

94 Unlock Huawei E585 15

Hands0n
16th May 2011, 09:56 PM
There is a link to another page, there it says ... "94 Unlock Huawei E585 free unlimited" http://www.dc-unlocker.com/buy/dongle_price

How confusing ...

Anyway, I had a rummage through the ROM you sent me ... I am not a developer, so I do not know what the code is actually doing. However, there are only two sequences of 8 digits, the unlock code is 8 digits long, 15408502 and 11470734 located at 0x308F5 and 0x30886 respectively. I cannot guarantee that these are the codes, it could be anywhere and I don't have another ROM to look in the same location to see if this isn't just coincidental, part of the system.

So if you try these codes you do understand that it is at your risk.

The-Kevster
16th May 2011, 10:01 PM
Doesn't seem to be either of those :( 1 more try remaining :D

Hands0n
16th May 2011, 10:10 PM
Arrrgh! Don't try any more then :(

I'll scout around and see what is going on. There are several people on the unlocker forums who are in the same position as you both. I guess Huawei and/or Three got fed up with the devices being unlocked and used elsewhere!

The-Kevster
16th May 2011, 10:59 PM
Arrrgh! Don't try any more then :(

I'll scout around and see what is going on. There are several people on the unlocker forums who are in the same position as you both. I guess Huawei and/or Three got fed up with the devices being unlocked and used elsewhere!

After a quick reboot I have another 3 tries. Isn't that nice of them! It does say after three attempts the device will reset. I guess they mean reboot.

If you find any other codes let me know ;)

MTT
18th May 2011, 08:11 PM
I have tried newest revskills but it says Inactive Item
So here no PST whatsoever.

Hands0n
19th May 2011, 08:35 PM
Sorry people, it looks like the newest firmware has "fixed" the ability to discover the code visually. The code is still there because Zibri has worked out how to do it. But so far no one else has published a means. I will keep researching and if I find anything useful I will get it posted in this thread, so keep an eye out for an update as and when I discover it.

MTT
23rd May 2011, 07:13 PM
For 15 GBP it can be unlocked. I think that's a fair price. Although free is always better :p

Hands0n
23rd May 2011, 07:27 PM
At Talk3G we like free, just as long as it is legal :)

myki
24th May 2011, 01:48 PM
Hi,

I am trying to unlock my E585 which I bought 2 months back.

Currently I have tried following steps

1. Installed PSAS from one of the link suggested in ur earlier post.
2. Removed my simcard and inserted another simcard ( not a 3G sim though)
3. Started the PSAS application and in the setup page i am getting "Serial com Port" as " COM4 - Huawei Mobile connect - 3g PC UI interface ( Com 4).
4. As I am not getting the serial com port other than "PC UI interface" I downloaded DC unlocker "dc-unlocker_client-1.00.0523".
5. I ran the application after installing the DC unlocker. And selected following values "model " = E585 and did a scan. ( Port coming as COM4)
6. As a scan result I got a message as " Card Not Found ! "

DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.0523

Detecting card :

selection :
manufacturer - Huawei modems
model - Huawei E585

card not found !

7. I kept the application running in background and started the PSAS again.
8 . Selected COM# -\Device\qcusb_COM#_1
Baud Rate : 115200
9. DIAG --> Read EFS , Max =250, Alternative method and click on lets go!
10. I am getting this message
"
Phone does not respond. May be another software is blocking the port"

Please suggest me what to do.

Things which I also noticed and may be helpful for your

on device status is coming as " Invalid Sim"

MTT
28th May 2011, 06:10 PM
You start the proces again
1. You wait untill the device has completely finished starting up
2. DC-unlocker. leave open after Huawei/Auto detect/Search
3. Psas the procedure is almost correct, you just choose COM4 - Huawei Mobile connect - 3g PC UI interface.
This works.

Today I received another E585 with older imei number and succesfully unlocked it. :p

Shum
29th May 2011, 02:32 PM
Hi Ben,

I tried to unlock my 3 wireless modem E585 based on the instructions given, and I got stuck at the "DIAG" menu. When I pressed the send button, there were no figures shown in the open space box at all, although the command was successfully sent. When I tried to save the log file, I got a message saying there was no response from the modem (phone) as the port was blocked by another device. I need help, please. Thanks

Shum

Hands0n
29th May 2011, 06:35 PM
Hi Shum - the newest MiFi firmware seems to be a bit of a dog to unlock. So far I believe that only Zibri has done it with his software - so the unlock code must still be in the firmware, but it is not as obvious as the older firmware. MTT seems to verify that by the fact that he was able to unlock a MiFi with the older IMEI (firmware will be older I presume).

This is a real nuisance because it means that this process is not currently suitable for newer firmwares.

@MTT - Would you let us know the software version numbers of the MiFi firmware that you could not unlock and that of the one that you could. I will update the original post to warn people that we're a bit stuck beyond a certain version.

Shum
30th May 2011, 03:53 AM
Hi HandsOn,

Based on what you mentioned, that means I will be stucked and would not be able to unlock my 3 mifi modem. I am still wishful if the unlocking can be solved in the future. Thanks.

Hands0n
30th May 2011, 04:27 PM
If I can find any information on how to unlock the newer firmware I will absolutely post it up on here. If you are subscribed to this thread then you will receive an email telling you that there has been an update :) So I guess it is just a matter of watch this space!

Shum
31st May 2011, 12:18 PM
Hi HandsOn, MTT and Myki,
My problem is the same as Myki's who posted the Thread on 24th May 2011. I had a look at the Device Manager on the PC under the network adapter tab, it showed "Huawei mobile connect - 3G network card. On the Ports tab, it showed "Huawei mobile connect - 3G PC UI interface (com4). Perhaps the PSAS was not able to recognise it. To confirm this I also run it through the DC Unlocker software, it did not recognise it either. This is perhaps why the device did not response at all.

For information my mifi device no. is IMEI: 3523980434*****. Is this a new device?

Hi Myki did you have any luck unlocking your mifi?

Thanks

Shum

IMEI CENSORED

MTT
7th June 2011, 02:21 AM
The firmware is exactly the same, 1026.11.64.18.505sp01.
They did something else to block reading the code.
The latest i succesfully unlocked was imei starting: 3523980430*****
I received one with imei: 3523980435*****, this one is not possible to read the code.
So I suspect anything newer then 3523980434***** is not possible to read the code through the mentioned programms.

By the way, choosing Huawei mobile connect - 3G PC UI interface doesn't give any problems obtaining the code on older imei numbers.

The-Kevster
7th June 2011, 07:22 AM
The firmware is exactly the same, 1026.11.64.18.505sp01.
They did something else to block reading the code.
The latest i succesfully unlocked was imei starting: 3523980430*****
I received one with imei: 3523980435*****, this one is not possible to read the code.
So I suspect anything newer then 3523980434***** is not possible to read the code through the mentioned programms.

By the way, choosing Huawei mobile connect - 3G PC UI interface doesn't give any problems obtaining the code on older imei numbers.

Sounds about right. My IMEI is 35239804340### and I can't unlock it using this method. Being as they run the same firmware as an unlockable device how are the obscuring the unlock code?

Shum
7th June 2011, 03:43 PM
I got my E585 unlocked by someone I know from a network provider. He would not tell me how it was done. He mentioned that PSAS and a DC unlocker were used. I found from the internet that DC locker-client-1.00.0575 contains E585 in its list. I connected the unlocked E585 to the PC and run the DC unlocker and I got the IMEI number, and the firmware is 1026.11.64.18.505sp01. The com port is 5.

Hands0n
7th June 2011, 08:02 PM
@ Schum - that is very interesting news. It looks like DC locker-client is the clue. If Zibri has done it with his utility then the unlock code is still in the firmware on the device. Just need the ability to read it.

It would be good if one of the others on here who has the newest firmware tried the new DC locker-client you specified and see if that worked.

MTT
8th June 2011, 05:40 PM
That is not it, I first used the older DC-unlocker, then I installed the newer DC client software V1.00.0629
Version 1.00.0575 is the older version.
This would not do the trick.

Shum
9th June 2011, 02:23 PM
Just for interest, (1) I extracted the logfile from my unlocked E585, it is about 700kb in size. I used both notepad and Hex editor to examine the contents of the file, but I was not able to fine the letters "PST" or LT P. This perhaps confirms what MTT said that "This would not do the trick".

(2) I also used Huawei unlocking calculator to arrive at the unlocking code using the IMEI number and I got the following codes unlock code = 476460 and flash code = 43431335.

Hands0n
10th June 2011, 12:11 AM
I am left wondering if Huawei have somehow hashed the code in the file. Zibri has managed to update his software unlocker to do the job, so I reckon he's worked out how and where the code is. Just that it is obscure the human readable text. I still cannot find anything meaningful on this so far.

YYY
11th June 2011, 04:50 PM
I may have a solution for those who still can't unlock their E585. I have two E585 which locked to Vodafone Australia with firmware 1026.11.84.05.503sp04. This may be the latest firmware on E585 in AU and I found a way to unlock both of them today. The procedure is almost the same just that the unlock code is now at the bottom of the log file. REMEMBER, Before going to "Diag Port" on PSAS, you need to change COM Port setting on PSAS's "Port Setup" from COM# - (QCDM:SNCAALZM) Huawei 3G PC UI to COM#\Device\QCUSB_COM#_1. No more PST and LT P in this firmware. I have uploaded some images to http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z0HG17L9 or
http://www.filesonic.com/file/1193478024/Huawei_Pocket_Wifi_Unlock.zip if anyone interested.
Also make sure your log file is 743KB. If you can't get this file size, you may need to disconnect the mifi from the computer and start all over again. You may need to try few times before you get the right log file. Good luck.

jokiin
12th June 2011, 08:24 AM
Also make sure your log file is 743KB. If you can't get this file size, you may need to disconnect the mifi from the computer and start all over again. You may need to try few times before you get the right log file. Good luck.

did you actually get a complete file at that size or did it crash at that size? I've yet to get the PSAS software to run without crashing at some stage of the process, not getting very far with it at the moment, any thoughts?

YYY
12th June 2011, 09:15 AM
I tried Max Page 1000 and 2000 full run (without crashing). Both at the end came up with the same file size. So I believe a good log file is 743KB no matter how many Max Page you choose (May need at least 600 page?). I am using Windows 7 64 bits.

You may need to reduce the Baud Rate on Port Setting to slow down the process if your PSAS crashs when running.

Phil
12th June 2011, 01:44 PM
Yay! It works!!
I followed the advice and the steps I took were:

Run DC unlocker first (in administrator mode on laptop). Allow it to connect to the MiFi via the cable (not wireless) Leave DC Unlocker running.
Run PSAS (in administrator mode on laptop) and follow the instructions in the first post. I set the baud rate to 9600 - it takes some, maybe 2-4 minutes. Make sure you select the USB port as per YYY's post above - see 2nd picture.
Open the resulting file in notepad and scroll right to the very end. Copy the 8 digit number and paste into the unlock box as per the instructions on the first post.
MiFi will reboot and should then show your network provider on the screen (mine is Orange in the UK).

My device details are:

Model : Huawei E585
IMEI : 3523980434*****
Serial NR. : M7A4CA113170****
Firmware : 1026.11.64.18.505sp01
Compile date / time : Sep 6 2010 12:02:06
Dashboard version : ConnLaucher_WIN1.01.01.156_MAC1.01.02.156
Chipset : Qualcomm MSM7625A
SIM Lock status : unlocked

Hope this helps a few other people get theirs unlocked!

Hands0n
12th June 2011, 07:36 PM
Thank you Phil and YYY - this is excellent news. And thank you so much for posting your findings on here. This will be invaluable to those with the newer firmware in the MiFi.

As soon as I can I will update the original post to reflect the changes required for the new firmware.

I've also edited YYY's post to include the pictures that he kindly posted offline.

jokiin
13th June 2011, 10:33 AM
I tried Max Page 1000 and 2000 full run (without crashing). Both at the end came up with the same file size. So I believe a good log file is 743KB no matter how many Max Page you choose (May need at least 600 page?). I am using Windows 7 64 bits.

You may need to reduce the Baud Rate on Port Setting to slow down the process if your PSAS crashs when running.

I sorted the crashing issue with a more recent version of PSAS, the files generated don't seem to match what you got though so still don't seem to be getting anywhere unfortunately

YYY
13th June 2011, 11:22 AM
Did you use the correct Port on the Port Setup? Remember not to use COM# - (QCDM:SNCAALZM) Huawei 3G PC UI port, you need COM#\Device\QCUSB_COM#_1 port instead. Scroll down to the end of the log file, you should find the 8 digits code there. If you can't find one, you didn't get the right log file. Something must be wrong in the program setting.

jokiin
13th June 2011, 11:51 AM
Did you use the correct Port on the Port Setup? Remember not to use COM# - (QCDM:SNCAALZM) Huawei 3G PC UI port, you need COM#\Device\QCUSB_COM#_1 port instead. Scroll down to the end of the log file, you should find the 8 digits code there. If you can't find one, you didn't get the right log file. Something must be wrong in the program setting.

yeah got all that right, which version number of PSAS have you got, is it 1.15? I initially had an earlier version which kept crashing, no crashes in 1.15 but I don't seem to be getting the right info, I can see other stuff amongst the gibberish, my IMEI, Wi-Fi passphrase etc

YYY
13th June 2011, 01:21 PM
That's strange. If log file size is varied from 256kb to 1.5M that means the port that the PSAS program checking is not correct. The larger the Max Page the larger the log file which will get you nowhere. That was what happen when I used COM# - (QCDM:SNCAALZM) Huawei 3G PC UI port. Is there other port point to the modem? eg) my modem port is COM5 (as shown on DC Unlocker program). I get two COM5 options on the port setup: 1.) COM5 - (QCDM:SNCAALZM) Huawei 3G PC UI and 2.) COM5\Device\QCUSB_COM5_1. Both of my modems work on COM5\Device\QCUSB_COM5_1. If the COM5\Device\QCUSB_COM5_1 not working at your end, you may want to try COM5 - (QCDM:SNCAALZM) Huawei 3G PC UI to see if it works. My PSAS is V1.1

You may also need to uninstall the Mifi driver from your computer and reinstall it again.

jokiin
14th June 2011, 02:37 AM
Ok, I found that the lock code does exist in these larger file sizes but it's not at the end of the file where it would be easy to locate, I'd like to look at another logfile if anyone else has generated a larger file like this to see if what I found is repeatable though, if anyone has a larger file like this and is stuck with it please let me know, would appreciate getting a look at another file to compare, if the results are repeatable it might help others

The-Kevster
14th June 2011, 08:16 PM
Found mine too! My log file was 1.38MB. I tried to dump 6000 lines and I guess it just stopped when there was nothing left to download. I then searched for 55000 as in the image above. My unlock code wasn't directly above but was near.

Easy enough to find! Thanks guys.

busdriver
15th June 2011, 10:03 AM
hi guys,

i'm having problem locating the unlock code. followed the steps describe but still cannot find the code. anyone can help ?

jokiin
15th June 2011, 10:34 AM
hi guys,

i'm having problem locating the unlock code. followed the steps describe but still cannot find the code. anyone can help ?

are you able to generate the file ok from PSAS, what size is the file generated?

tamdph
15th June 2011, 11:20 AM
Optus E583C, PSAS efs READ ok...tried all the 8digits numbers in the log file but none of them is valid :(

jokiin
15th June 2011, 11:21 AM
Optus E583C, PSAS efs READ ok...tried all the 8digits numbers in the log file but none of them is valid :(

not sure if the process for yours is the same as the E585, how big is the file you got and what was the max page size you used?

tamdph
15th June 2011, 11:28 AM
not sure if the process for yours is the same as the E585, how big is the file you got and what was the max page size you used?

the log file is 766KB and max page = 600.

jokiin
15th June 2011, 11:47 AM
the log file is 766KB and max page = 600.

can you run it again with max page set to 1000 and tell me what size file you get?

tamdph
15th June 2011, 12:07 PM
can you run it again with max page set to 1000 and tell me what size file you get?

Max size for the log file is 766KB no matter how big i set the max page. After the max page ~ 700, the log file size is always 766KB.

jokiin
15th June 2011, 12:11 PM
Max size for the log file is 766KB no matter how big i set the max page. After the max page ~ 700, the log file size is always 766KB.

ok, like I said I'm not sure if your model will produce the same results as the E585 so not sure if that's expected or not, I'd be willing to have a look through the file also and see if there are any similarities that might help work it out if you want to either upload it somewhere and post a link or email it to me if you prefer, just PM me if that's the case for details

chrisngn
15th June 2011, 12:32 PM
i look through it but the code is no where to be seen. pl help! thanks. It is very strange . Every time i create a log it is different than the previous , my log file are between 747 to 952kb , Psas ver 1.16. Win 7 32 bit . Any ideas .

jokiin
15th June 2011, 12:39 PM
please help me to find the code thanks

need a bit more detail than that

busdriver
16th June 2011, 05:49 AM
are you able to generate the file ok from PSAS, what size is the file generated?

yes , the file generated is 760Kb even with >600 ..... tried a few of the number in file but no joy still.

jokiin
16th June 2011, 05:59 AM
i look through it but the code is no where to be seen. pl help! thanks. It is very strange . Every time i create a log it is different than the previous , my log file are between 747 to 952kb , Psas ver 1.16. Win 7 32 bit . Any ideas .

if you'd like to upload the file somewhere and provide a link I'd be happy to have a look at it, the larger file is generally better, max page set to 1000 I've found (so far) to be enough to capture the code if it's there

chrisngn
16th June 2011, 10:38 AM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVJ05Y7Y thanks in advance

jokiin
16th June 2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVJ05Y7Y thanks in advance

is the an E585 or another similar model, which market/provider is it from?

chrisngn
16th June 2011, 12:43 PM
is the an E585 or another similar model, which market/provider is it from?

vodafone au sp04. can i see your log file?

jokiin
16th June 2011, 12:51 PM
vodafone au sp04. can i see your log file?

ok same version then, that's good, what's the largest file you generated doing this? The problem modem I had of the same version didn't show the lock code in the files of the size you posted, pulled it out of a 1.5mb file which was from a max page size of 1000, your results might not be the same regarding file size but if you've generated files larger than the one you linked to then I think you'll need one of those as yours seems to end prematurely in comparison to others I've looked at so far, keep in mind I haven't seen enough of them to be able to definitively say for sure though, still looking for patterns amongst the gibberish at this stage

Hands0n
16th June 2011, 09:47 PM
@jokiin - You are definitely on to something here :) There must be some kind of reference marker for the unlock code. I keep thinking about what Zibri has found that makes his software unlocker work. The only way has to be a visible or invisible (ie. non-printing character) marker in the binary file itself.

It would be useful to get hold of a copy of the new firmware with the [known] unlock code in it - and inspect it using a Hex editor to see if there is a pattern of bytes before, after, or both. Either that, or the code is persistently at an offset from 0x0000 bytes of the binary file itself. And that may be sufficient to track it down using simple text editor.

jokiin
17th June 2011, 02:35 AM
@jokiin - You are definitely on to something here :) There must be some kind of reference marker for the unlock code. I keep thinking about what Zibri has found that makes his software unlocker work. The only way has to be a visible or invisible (ie. non-printing character) marker in the binary file itself.

It would be useful to get hold of a copy of the new firmware with the [known] unlock code in it - and inspect it using a Hex editor to see if there is a pattern of bytes before, after, or both. Either that, or the code is persistently at an offset from 0x0000 bytes of the binary file itself. And that may be sufficient to track it down using simple text editor.

I notice he has just released a new unlocker, interesting that the process is done with no SIM in, haven't tried to dump this file without a SIM in and see if the results vary, it's possible his program is just extracting the key from the file and then injecting it just like you would when entering a code manually yourself from a browser, the code he sells you is merely to allow his process to work and nothing to do with the unlock code itself

I think just by the nature of the process involved it is hard for the code to be hidden unless the file is encrypted, it may be obfuscated though with some other characters to confuse things, as the device doesn't have a keypad the only logical way for an end user to be able to self unlock is to enter the code via a webpage, while ever this is the method I think it will be vulnerable to exploit, if they were smarter they'd probably move to a carrier generated SMS unlock code to remove the easy method

For those that are having problems generating the right file it might be worth trying a hard reset of the modem, I had reset the problem one I had before I managed to get the code, not sure if this was why but a reset certainly can't hurt to try, I had probably dumped the file 50 or more times before I was successful on that particular modem, I tried picking up another modem to work on but I haven't been able to find one locally just yet, all out of stock around me

chrisngn
17th June 2011, 02:55 AM
Will wait for the expert , try for 2night with the sim card and no sim still go no where Psas ver 1.1 it seems less likely to finish premature when create a log file

chrisngn
17th June 2011, 03:40 PM
Will wait for the expert , try for 2night with the sim card and no sim still go no where Psas ver 1.1 it seems less likely to finish premature when create a log file

Finally i found it. the code is in the log itself, if the log is 743kb it shoud be visible

Shum
17th June 2011, 04:36 PM
My E585 was unlocked by a network provider. I extracted the logfile and it is about 768KB in size. I was not able to locate the lock code. would the lock code still be visible after the E585 has been unlocked? Thanks.

chrisngn
17th June 2011, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Shum;42887]My E585 was unlocked by a network provider. I extracted the logfile and it is about 768KB in size. I was not able to locate the lock code. would the lock code still be visible after the E585 has been unlocked? Thanks.[/QUOTE I tried it to work backward, however the person who set the program knew exactly what ppl wants so it is not visible , the log file need to be 743kb otherwise no 6 digits in it

jokiin
18th June 2011, 12:58 AM
the log file need to be 743kb otherwise no 6 digits in it

this is not correct

chrisngn
18th June 2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks to triple YYY and Jokiin contribution, now i am able to unlock my e585 sp04 , the log file is 743 is correct, it is extremely easy to locate the code. If you could generate 743 kb you don't need any one to find it. you could look for it by yourself as it is at the bottom of the pages.

jokiin
18th June 2011, 01:48 AM
Thanks to triple YYY and Jokiin contribution that me able to unlock my e585 sp04 , the log file is 743 is correct, it is extremely easy to locate the code. If you could generate 743 kb you don't need any one to find it. you could look for it by yourself as it is at the bottom of the pages.

there seems to be a couple of different file types that 'may' be generated, during this process, I've yet to have one come out at 743kb but when they do it is very easy to see at the bottom of the page, one I did was 746kb and the code was a few lines up from the end of the file, another was 1.5mb and the code was about 3/4 of the way through, there does seem to be some files generated that do not contain the code at all though, I was suffering this with one of the ones I unlocked, it came good after I did a factory reset, not sure if the reset was responsible or it was just coincidence though

chrisngn
18th June 2011, 02:15 AM
there seems to be a couple of different file types that 'may' be generated, during this process, I've yet to have one come out at 743kb but when they do it is very easy to see at the bottom of the page, one I did was 746kb and the code was a few lines up from the end of the file, another was 1.5mb and the code was about 3/4 of the way through, there does seem to be some files generated that do not contain the code at all though, I was suffering this with one of the ones I unlocked, it came good after I did a factory reset, not sure if the reset was responsible or it was just coincidence though
It should be unique with all the modems , no matter how you extract it , the max page is 600 . I tried a few of them ,they always give me the same log file 743 kb.

jokiin
18th June 2011, 05:45 AM
It should be unique with all the modems , no matter how you extract it , the max page is 600 . I tried a few of them ,they always give me the same log file 743 kb.

I've had it dump files over 10mb in total, (for me) setting the max page at 1000 gave me a file containing the unlock code, on one modem that file was 746kb, another it was 1.5mb, both with the same max page at 1000, setting the max page at 600 didn't give the code with either modem, both were the newer Dec 2010 sp04 firmware versions, not doubting what you say at all as I see there are others that have had the exact same results as you got, just putting it out there for the people that aren't getting this as there has been a few of those as well

chrisngn
18th June 2011, 07:40 AM
I've had it dump files over 10mb in total, (for me) setting the max page at 1000 gave me a file containing the unlock code, on one modem that file was 746kb, another it was 1.5mb, both with the same max page at 1000, setting the max page at 600 didn't give the code with either modem, both were the newer Dec 2010 sp04 firmware versions, not doubting what you say at all as I see there are others that have had the exact same results as you got, just putting it out there for the people that aren't getting this as there has been a few of those as well

The different between sp04 and pre ver is the method no more PST, my Psas ver 1.16 plus dc unlock I set the max is 600 as YYY suggested and it is very unique 743 kb , don't waste time try to dump the max pages , it will just crash, can I see your log file to compare with mine . It is extremely easy to locate the code. I did it exactly the way the old method , The max page MUST be 600 no more than or lesser

jokiin
18th June 2011, 08:29 AM
The different between sp04 and pre ver is the method no more PST, my Psas ver 1.16 plus dc unlock I set the max is 600 as YYY suggested and it is very unique 743 kb , don't waste time try to dump the max pages , it will just crash, can I see your log file to compare with mine . It is extremely easy to locate the code. I did it exactly the way the old method , The max page MUST be 600 no more than or lesser

yes I'm aware that the newer version is different, like I said though I didn't get the unlock code in the file created when set to 600 (I'm not the first one to have this issue, I've come across a few people with the same issue) I initially started with 250 as the page size like most of the guides recommend, tried 600 as YYY suggested to me also, still didn't get it, setting it to 1000 did though, settings it any larger made no difference in that case as it still made the same size file on one of the modems, YYY commented that setting the max page value to 1000 or even 2000 still created a 743kb file, I'm sure that is correct just didn't work that way for me, I tried 1000 only because of the file size comment made by YYY, in my case I did get a bigger file with the code, on one of the modems setting the max page to 2000 made a larger file, on the other it still only created the same size, setting it larger did not cause any crashes

I have 3 of these modems, two are the new firmware version, one is the earlier type (sp02) but I have not had the same result when dumping the file from any of them, have still got the lock code from the files but the method is not yet consistent, I'm using DC Unlocker version 1.00.0659 and PSAS version 1.15 had tried a few different versions of each program but these were the only ones that I could get to work reliably, I started out with an earlier version of each and it would continually crash during the process (Win7 Pro 64), these versions have worked for me

chrisngn
19th June 2011, 01:49 AM
yes I'm aware that the newer version is different, like I said though I didn't get the unlock code in the file created when set to 600 (I'm not the first one to have this issue, I've come across a few people with the same issue) I initially started with 250 as the page size like most of the guides recommend, tried 600 as YYY suggested to me also, still didn't get it, setting it to 1000 did though, settings it any larger made no difference in that case as it still made the same size file on one of the modems, YYY commented that setting the max page value to 1000 or even 2000 still created a 743kb file, I'm sure that is correct just didn't work that way for me, I tried 1000 only because of the file size comment made by YYY, in my case I did get a bigger file with the code, on one of the modems setting the max page to 2000 made a larger file, on the other it still only created the same size, setting it larger did not cause any crashes

I have 3 of these modems, two are the new firmware version, one is the earlier type (sp02) but I have not had the same result when dumping the file from any of them, have still got the lock code from the files but the method is not yet consistent, I'm using DC Unlocker version 1.00.0659 and PSAS version 1.15 had tried a few different versions of each program but these were the only ones that I could get to work reliably, I started out with an earlier version of each and it would continually crash during the process (Win7 Pro 64), these versions have worked for me

Basically, the tech who came up with the ideas to lock the device knew excactly how we try to extract the code , what they did is disrupting the log file so we can not see it. If you know the answer code for one modem, it doesnt mean you could find the code for the next ones. Stick to the principal that use psas 1.1 and dc unlock the file should be 743kb set max at 600 is the answer. If the lock already opened no need to find the keys.

jokiin
19th June 2011, 07:26 AM
Basically, the tech who came up with the ideas to lock the device knew excactly how we try to extract the code , what they did is disrupting the log file so we can not see it. If you know the answer code for one modem, it doesnt mean you could find the code for the next ones. Stick to the principal that use psas 1.1 and dc unlock the file should be 743kb set max at 600 is the answer. If the lock already opened no need to find the keys.

I'm not sure I follow what your saying exactly, I've unlocked three of them last week and the resulting file was different for each, I tried running PSAS 1.1 and it constantly crashed, 1.15 runs fine but I'm not sure if there is any difference in the files it generates or not (1.1 would crash without generating anything useful for me so nothing there to compare to), max page of 600 didn't work for my setup though, I'm sticking with what works for me but the difference may well just be the software versions, I don't think it's anything random in the hardware as such, most likely the hardware you're using and the ones I have are sourced from similar stock batches, assuming yours are recently purchased (taking a punt they're Aust Post sale stock) and you picked them up somewhere close to home

I haven't tried running the process on an unlocked one to know what the file looks like

chrisngn
19th June 2011, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure I follow what your saying exactly, I've unlocked three of them last week and the resulting file was different for each, I tried running PSAS 1.1 and it constantly crashed, 1.15 runs fine but I'm not sure if there is any difference in the files it generates or not (1.1 would crash without generating anything useful for me so nothing there to compare to), max page of 600 didn't work for my setup though, I'm sticking with what works for me but the difference may well just be the software versions, I don't think it's anything random in the hardware as such, most likely the hardware you're using and the ones I have are sourced from similar stock batches, assuming yours are recently purchased (taking a punt they're Aust Post sale stock) and you picked them up somewhere close to home

I haven't tried running the process on an unlocked one to know what the file looks like

Lol, I think the lock smith will have the answer, it costed me 2 nights to find out the method and get consistently log file after google to google. I am very sure that the file log must be 743 kb otherwise i dont think the code is there. can i see your log to compare with my log and then work out a ultimate method.

jokiin
19th June 2011, 09:42 AM
Lol, I think the lock smith will have the answer, it costed me 2 nights to find out the method and get consistently log file after google to google. I am very sure that the file log must be 743 kb otherwise i dont think the code is there. can i see your log to compare with my log and then work out a ultimate method.

I'm as interested as you are to get a reliable method happening, I'm quite sure you and others are regularly getting a 743kb file when doing this, it didn't happen that way for me and I see others online are also having different results, possibly due to different software versions or whatever, it's not quite as cut and dried as it should be, PM me your email address and I'll send you some log files that will help better explain it I think, likewise I spent a bit of time on it as well and I can consistently get the codes it seems, but the method differs, good for me but harder when trying to help someone else that isn't having such luck

hecatae
21st June 2011, 10:31 AM
anyone tried to put vodafone r201 firmware on this?

anandsmb
22nd June 2011, 12:13 PM
Hi YYY, your instructions are worked for my e585 unlock. Now I am using my Virgin sim card. No issues found. I was struggling to find PST and LT P words said by other users but to no avail. Just followed your screenshots and its amazing man!!! I got the unlock code from exact location where you showed in the attachment. I set Baud rate at 11500 and the COM5 as per your screens.
Thank you very much!!!

anandsmb
22nd June 2011, 12:26 PM
Hey friend. Just follow #83 steps. This worked for me yesterday. Send me log file at my email id [email protected].

jokiin
22nd June 2011, 12:39 PM
anyone tried to put vodafone r201 firmware on this?

what's different?

saltysmith1
23rd June 2011, 09:56 AM
Would like to say just unlocked my MIFI Huawei E585 second time thank you

Hands0n
23rd June 2011, 08:09 PM
Would like to say just unlocked my MIFI Huawei E585 second time thank you

Woo Hoo :) It looks like this thread is covering off the newer MiFi nicely now. I'd like to say a massive thank you to those who have put in the hard work to feed back into this thread. I'll do some tidying up of the original post as soon as I can.

Thanks again everyone.

tibbarg
24th June 2011, 12:29 AM
Well done guys,works perfectly on the new versions ,have just successfully unlocked 2

Monopoly is over for the zibri program ;)

jokiin
24th June 2011, 12:55 AM
Monopoly is over for the zibri program ;)

that was my motivation for wanting to do it, can unlock from the carrier for what he wanted to charge, if his price was a bit more reasonable I might not have bothered trying to work it out

tibbarg
24th June 2011, 02:37 AM
A massive big thanks for all the work you guys have put into this,I'd given up on unlocking mine for the time being as I wasn't going to line his overfilled pockets,

I'm really pleased you's managed to suss it

WELL DONE!!! :)

owieh
25th June 2011, 11:08 AM
IT WORKS!!

I have an sp01 version from Three UK, been checking this thread since I got it. I personally set the Max Page to 800 and the log file it generated was 928 kb. And alas! The 8 digit unlock code was at the bottom of the page... ;) Ta very much guys

OH, I forgot to add. I had a different network's sim inside the modem while PSAS was reading the EFS. I think this could greatly affect the outcome of the log file. :)

YYY
28th June 2011, 05:06 AM
Yeah. I think the log may be larger than 743KB as I mention in my previous post. This may be due to different SIM like what owieh said or different languages on your computer. If you can get a line like 55000,0,2,55000,0,255000... most likely you are at the end of the log file.

The method may also works on E583C or other E5 series MiFi. Just that the unlock code for these MiFis is in different places. For E583C, you may need to look at the 8 digits between the word "Profile" and it looks something like this "35855243 õ "

Good luck for your unlocking.

nwoodhou1
30th June 2011, 07:24 PM
Hi,

I just purchased my device in June 2011 and spent days trying to unlock the MiFi using PSAS and DC-Unlocker on both Windows XP and 7 computers without success. DC Unlocker never worked, and I could never get beyond the "Port locked and not responding" error using PSAS. I got so tired with this, I called "3" and never expected them to help, but they were very helpful.

So, although I did finally unlock it, it cost me, here's how:

- contacted "3" customer service (0843-373-0500) on a Tuesday
- they took my IMEI number which is printed on the phone behind the battery
- they checked to see if they had an unlock code listed for my device, they didn't
- they contacted the manufacturer Huawei to get the code
- they called me back on Thursday (today) with the 8 digit unlock code for a cost of �15.32
- they sent me an SMS to my "3" dashboard inbox using my computer with a http link
- by following the link I was able to access, download and run an application
- the application asked me for the unlock code
- if it worked, you should get the message "unlock failed, data card has been unlocked"
- i used my mobile phone's T-Mobile sim card to check that it worked
- the device is now unlocked, you should be able to use any sim card

apart from the two phone calls I had with "3" customer support, the whole process took me about 15 minutes

hope this was helful. if you're trying to do this for free, good luck to you!
Nigel

tibbarg
1st July 2011, 11:36 AM
Hi,

I just purchased my device in June 2011 and spent days trying to unlock the MiFi using PSAS and DC-Unlocker on both Windows XP and 7 computers without success. DC Unlocker never worked, and I could never get beyond the "Port locked and not responding" error using PSAS. I got so tired with this, I called "3" and never expected them to help, but they were very helpful.

So, although I did finally unlock it, it cost me, here's how:

- contacted "3" customer service (0843-373-0500) on a Tuesday
- they took my IMEI number which is printed on the phone behind the battery
- they checked to see if they had an unlock code listed for my device, they didn't
- they contacted the manufacturer Huawei to get the code
- they called me back on Thursday (today) with the 8 digit unlock code for a cost of �15.32
- they sent me an SMS to my "3" dashboard inbox using my computer with a http link
- by following the link I was able to access, download and run an application
- the application asked me for the unlock code
- if it worked, you should get the message "unlock failed, data card has been unlocked"
- i used my mobile phone's T-Mobile sim card to check that it worked
- the device is now unlocked, you should be able to use any sim card

apart from the two phone calls I had with "3" customer support, the whole process took me about 15 minutes

hope this was helful. if you're trying to do this for free, good luck to you!
Nigel

for a cost of �15.32 :rolleyes:

This isn't 3 helping,this is 3 charging for the service of providing an unlock code,the point of the thread is to unlock it for free

DerekG
3rd July 2011, 07:53 AM
Hi, thanks for all the info from the forum members of Talk3G.

You are correct, the unlock code appears to always be able to be found in the PSAS firmware download. It does not appear to be encrypted in any way. The problem is locating it with the different firmware updates & 3G providers.

I purchased a prepaid Optus Australia Huawei E583C modem. Neither the "PST" nor the "LT P" [that is "LT(space)P"] locators were found in my PSAS firmware code. I have located the unlock code however in another location & have posted the Notepad generated file here

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34042983/HuaweiE583C

and some further instructions & screen capture shots here

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34042983/Huawei%20E583C%20unlock%20pictures.doc

I hope this helps other forum members.

Derek G.

Hands0n
4th July 2011, 07:54 AM
@DerekG - Thank you for the feedback, the files and pictures. That is terrific help for others.

owieh
6th July 2011, 04:38 PM
Hi guys, I tried Rev Skills[It's the newer version of PSAS] and it manage to dump the EFS as a filesystem. It dumped the whole EFS as a zip file. Sadly I'm not able to see if the unlock code could be obtained using this method as my E585 is already unlocked. I will post more info + tutorial so somebody could try it. :D

As promised earlier, here's a link to the tutorial. I really do hope somebody tries this and finds the unlock code inside some folder/file. Please come back here and let us know how it goes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10026299/EFS-RevSkills.doc

Lukian
7th July 2011, 09:33 AM
Did not find my unlock code using RevSkills.

There were quite a lot of numbers in perso.txt, but none of them were the unlock code.

Found it using the PSAS v1.10 with usual settings (COM3) and searching for "55000" as in post #83-93.

- Australian Vodafone E585 (AusPost stock).

FlipperMan
9th July 2011, 05:13 PM
Great site, great post ! I've followed the instructions and downloaded a file sized 751kb and paged to the bottom and found an 8 digit numeric code. Now where do I enter that ? I've tried 192.168.1.1/simlock.asp but it takes me to the 192.168.1.1/indexf.asp page. Once I've logged into my admin account - the only area I can see that it might go is under 'Sim Settings' - there's an icon for Unlock Device but that isn't selectable ? The only one I can select is 'PIN Code Management' is it in here ?

BTW - I bought this from PC World today and havent registered the 3g card that came with it........I already had a 3g data card in my laptop and was trying that (dont have any others to hand at the moment). I intend to use it abroad and buy a local sim payg card.

Am I being stupid - does it HAVE to have an alternative network card in it to work ? I thought that it was the device that was being unlocked - not the SIM card ?

Anyone help ?
Thanks.

Hands0n
9th July 2011, 05:51 PM
You need to pop a non-Three SIM in the MiFi which will prompt the unlock when you visit the control web page.

FlipperMan
9th July 2011, 05:52 PM
I've tried 4 different 'old' SIM's - Orange, O2 etc which are pin-locked etc - and the dump is producing the same 8 digit number each time and consistent file size....just need somewhere to enter the magical number now !

FlipperMan
9th July 2011, 06:22 PM
Aha.....genius - thanks !

Jed
9th July 2011, 10:22 PM
Many thanks for all the helpful information in this thread. The problem I have may be that I have an early E585 which seems to work a bit differently. Its IMEI is 3523980407***** which is lower than others have mentioned. The firmware is 1026.11.64.11.508. The compilation date is 20 May 2010.

I have seen instructions elsewhere for unlocking the E220. When I searched for PSAS, I could only find a download for RevSkills 2.04. In the case of the E220 that was able to download the whole EFS, and I found the unlock code and successfully unlocked it. As has already been pointed out, on the E585 RevSkills only downloads a 255 byte file, which is not enough. I was grateful for the link to the archive of PSAS 1.15 in this thread, but downloading it was not the end of my problem. The largest value of Max I could get to work was 158 with a Lycamobile SIM in the E585, which produced a 174591 byte file. With no SIM the largest Max which worked was 148, and the file size was 167427 bytes. Any larger value of Max caused a Microsoft dialogue box saying "An error has occurred" to be displayed before the end of the download was reached, and the larger the value of Max the sooner the error occurred.

Neither file had a string of 8 decimal digits at the end, nor the strings "PST" or "LP T" anywhere in them. As far as I could make out each file had just two 8 decimal digit strings. The second in each file was "11111111". The first was a string of 8 different digits (although the same in each file) at offset F81B (63515 decimal). It was preceded by the string "SNCCALZN-". I tried using the string of digits as an unlock code, but it was not accepted.

This suggests I have not downloaded enough. To try to get more I changed the speed, including down to 9600. I also tried following the advice about unplugging the modem and switching it off and on after the speed change and before the download. Speed seemed to make no difference. I tried on two very different computers, a Toshiba laptop running XP MCE and a Dell Vostro 400 runnng XP Home. It has been suggested running DC-unlocker in the background can help, so I tried that too. At first DC-unlocker could not find the modem, and seemed to block the ports so PSAS could not communicate with it. That was because I had not put a SIM in the E585. When I put the Lycamobile SIM in, DC-unlocker displayed the IMEI, serial number and other information, but it did not seem to make any difference to the behaviour of PSAS.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Jed
10th July 2011, 10:21 AM
I must be doing something different from everyone else because several people have said they get a file of 743kbyte written even if PSAS crashes. Because I haven't wanted to lose what I have already downloaded I have given it a new file name each time. When PSAS crashes, the file doesn't even get created. I have just tried creating a file by setting Max to 100. The file size is 130559 bytes. I have then changed Max to 250 and clicked Let's go again. I have given the same file name. I am told the file exists and asked if I want to overwrite it. I click Yes. PSAS crashes part way through the Read EFS. The file size is still 130559 bytes.

What is everyone doing to retrieve the partly written file when PSAS crashes?

Can I also confirm that PSAS is crashing in the same way for me? I get a blue progress bar going from left to right. If it stops before it gets to the right-hand edge of the box a dialogue box is displayed saying, "PSAS.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. ... Please tell Microsoft about this problem." There are then two buttons with captions "Send Error Report" and "Don't Send" and I click Don't Send.

jokiin
10th July 2011, 12:30 PM
I must be doing something different from everyone else because several people have said they get a file of 743kbyte written even if PSAS crashes. .

there must be some variables, out of 4 modems I didn't get one that produced a file this size, I never got it to work on WinXP though, ended up using a Win7 machine, once I found a working combination though it worked reliably each time, I went though a few different versions of the software though before I found ones that wouldn't crash every time

Jed
10th July 2011, 12:37 PM
The answer MAY be to disable write caching on the hard disk. (It is probably not sensible to have it enabled on a laptop anyway.) I did that and then set Max to 250. The Read EFS ran to the end and I got a file size 49E00 (302591 decimal) with the string "LT PST" at offset 3C42E with the unlock code nearby at 3C438.

After I had unlocked the modem I thought it would be interesting to do a Read EFS again to see what had changed. The problems of PSAS crashing and not saving any changes to the file began all over again, and I still have not managed to complete it. I experimented with using the different forms of COM port address as suggested in another post, but that did not help.

I also had a problem accessing the unlock page. Today I used a t-mobile SIM. I have expired accounts for voice pay as you go and contract mobile broadband and I don't know which SIM I used. Instead of taking me to the unlock page, IE8 told me the address I had entered (www.three.co.uk) was invalid. When I put the Lycamobile SIM in again it took me to the unlock page as it did yesterday.

Jed
10th July 2011, 12:47 PM
I never got it to work on WinXP though,

I was assuming it was more likely to work on XP. I haven't got Win7 set up yet, but I may give it a try on Vista. Anyway my only E585 is now unlocked. I have just got a E160G left to unlock.

hecatae
14th July 2011, 08:04 PM
Argos are selling the E585, (picture is incorrect) for £57.99 with 3gb data http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002701&langId=-1&searchTerms=5490653

jokiin
15th July 2011, 12:14 PM
Argos are selling the E585, (picture is incorrect) for £57.99 with 3gb data http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002701&langId=-1&searchTerms=5490653

ouch, you guys really get shafted, that's double what we're paying for the same thing

MTT
15th July 2011, 01:49 PM
ouch, you guys really get shafted, that's double what we're paying for the same thing

Where you can buy this for half the price? Please provide link

jokiin
15th July 2011, 02:05 PM
Where you can buy this for half the price? Please provide link

I don't have a link but Australia Post has them on for AUD $39.95 again, includes 3GB data/90 days

MrGronk
16th July 2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks a lot everyone.
I have been reading the instructions and the additions and discovered that the Unlock Code is now hidden within the txt saved.
I suppose the best way to find it is to do a 'search' for "profile" and go until you see the words profile cascading across the notepad page:
profile 1
profile 2
etc
You will then discover your Unlock Code:
1######4 õ
btw - down't forget to move the Notepad Search Box from the middle of your page so that you can actually see the code ;)
all the best
BTW - I've replaced the Optus Sim with a Vodafone Sim that had trouble connecting with the provided USB=dongle - Now I've got 2 netbooks , a smartphone and an iphone all connected while I'm typing this.
enjoy

MilanoChris
18th July 2011, 01:55 PM
I've just unlocked my 2 week old E585 provided by Three UK, thanks.

My only problem is that my Vodafone SIM card will not connect to the mobile network.

It is not a huge issue, as long as my T Mobile one that should arrive this week connects. But I am just wondering why the Vodafone one won't work?

These are the steps I followed (Win 7 64 bit, i7-2600k CPU):

Turn wireless off
Put in Vodafone SIM into the modem, turn it on and connect to to the PC via USB
Run DC Unlocker as Administrator, then scan and make sure you can see the device. It will say locked at the bottom next to SIM status.
Run PSAS v1.15 as Administrator
Hardware Forensics, then set Serial Com Port to COM# - \Device\QCUSB_COM#_1 and Baud rate to 9600
DIAG tab, then send, make sure you get text in the bottom box
Change Save Memory To File to Read EFS, change Max Page to 400 and click Alternate Method
Click lets go. Save the file to the desktop, and once PSAS is done open it in Notepad, then search for PST, the 8 digit code is your unlock code, enter this into the box at http://192.168.1.1/simlock.asp.

It might not work for you, but I hope it will help some people...

jokiin
18th July 2011, 02:20 PM
My only problem is that my Vodafone SIM card will not connect to the mobile network.

have you setup a new profile with the correct APN etc?

MilanoChris
18th July 2011, 02:29 PM
have you setup a new profile with the correct APN etc?

No, I am not really sure what I am doing with that? I'd rather wait till my t Mobile SIM arrives and do it with that.

jokiin
19th July 2011, 03:48 AM
No, I am not really sure what I am doing with that? I'd rather wait till my t Mobile SIM arrives and do it with that.

ok, any SIM card you put in needs to have the appropriate settings applied or it won't work, out of the box they are preconfigured for whatever carrier they are supplied for but once you unlock them you need to set this up yourself based on whichever service you want to use, this is normal behavior

MilanoChris
19th July 2011, 10:30 AM
Ah fair enough.

Can I put vanilla firmware on this device?

Three firmware doesn't allow profile changes very well, I feel it would work better with the original firmware.

jokiin
19th July 2011, 12:44 PM
Ah fair enough.

Can I put vanilla firmware on this device?

Three firmware doesn't allow profile changes very well, I feel it would work better with the original firmware.

do you have a web based login available, Admin for user name and password?

chrisngn
20th July 2011, 11:10 PM
do you have a web based login available, Admin for user name and password?

Did any one try to unlock e585 2 ? the new one support 850 . Dc unlock said it is not found

jokiin
21st July 2011, 12:15 AM
Did any one try to unlock e585 2 ? the new one support 850 . Dc unlock said it is not found

yep have had a go at this one already, the format is different it seems, I noticed when trawling through the output file that the firmware is sp5 so I guess they have updated things

I did manage to get it unlocked but not with this software

chrisngn
21st July 2011, 01:25 AM
yep have had a go at this one already, the format is different it seems, I noticed when trawling through the output file that the firmware is sp5 so I guess they have updated things

I did manage to get it unlocked but not with this software

can you show me? possible?

jokiin
21st July 2011, 01:32 AM
can you show me? possible?

I'm not sure if it was just good luck or a permanent loophole, only need the IMEI number though to confirm, if you're willing to PM me your IMEI number I'll try the same again and see if it works

chrisngn
21st July 2011, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure if it was just good luck or a permanent loophole, only need the IMEI number though to confirm, if you're willing to PM me your IMEI number I'll try the same again and see if it works

It is not loophole . It takes time to pass to the IT team that why it for free. E585 2 you can send the log however the code is not there . It is missing the last lines which contain the code. Member YYY any opinion?. I got the code from vodafone but I can not enter it

jokiin
22nd July 2011, 12:32 AM
It is not loophole . It takes time to pass to the IT team that why it for free. E585 2 you can send the log however the code is not there . It is missing the last lines which contain the code. Member YYY any opinion?. I got the code from vodafone but I can not enter it

if they haven't sorted it yet then I would call it a loophole, they'll plug it soon I expect, anyway if you have the code have you gone here http://192.168.1.1/simlock.asp that's how I did mine and it is running with an Optus SIM now

chrisngn
22nd July 2011, 02:56 AM
if they haven't sorted it yet then I would call it a loophole, they'll plug it soon I expect, anyway if you have the code have you gone here http://192.168.1.1/simlock.asp that's how I did mine and it is running with an Optus SIM now

Thanks , it is just the last few lines that is missing the code

MTT
25th July 2011, 04:29 AM
How to recognize the new E585 2 ?
What is the difference with the old E585 ?
Are there any visible differences ?

jokiin
25th July 2011, 07:14 AM
How to recognize the new E585 2 ?
What is the difference with the old E585 ?
Are there any visible differences ?

package is marked differently, supports 850/900/2100 HSPA, old model was 900/2100 only, not sure if this model is done elsewhere the same though so may only be applicable to Australia at the moment

YYY
27th July 2011, 03:47 PM
Hi,

I haven't got a chance to test the E585 2 yet. Dc unlocker most likely can't detect it yet as jokiin said it has new firmware. I would like to know if you can get the log from PSAS? If so, how many Max page (600,1000,2000?) did you run? Since you already got the unlock code, have you tried to search the code in the log to see if it is there? What is the file size of the log? Would appreciate if you can send the log file to me so that I can have a look? Not saying that I will find the code, I just curious on how the log file would look like.

I am sorry that currently I have no plan to get a E585 2 as I am such a cheapskate. I am waiting for it to be on sale then I will grab one to test. By the time maybe someone already figure out how to unlock it. :)

jokiin
28th July 2011, 01:44 AM
Hi,

I haven't got a chance to test the E585 2 yet. Dc unlocker most likely can't detect it yet as jokiin said it has new firmware. I would like to know if you can get the log from PSAS? If so, how many Max page (600,1000,2000?) did you run? Since you already got the unlock code, have you tried to search the code in the log to see if it is there? What is the file size of the log? Would appreciate if you can send the log file to me so that I can have a look? Not saying that I will find the code, I just curious on how the log file would look like.

I am sorry that currently I have no plan to get a E585 2 as I am such a cheapskate. I am waiting for it to be on sale then I will grab one to test. By the time maybe someone already figure out how to unlock it. :)

although DC unlocker won't detect it you can still dump the file, got the code for free from Vodafone but it was not in the file at all, format is similar but not the same exactly, it appears they've changed something as I'm sure they would have

jago25_98
13th August 2011, 10:42 PM
Just to let everyone know,

I think the phone analysis software (QMAT -> PSAS -> Revskills) has removed the ability to do this?

Is there a linux program for something like this?

DC Unlocker is a pain to use with it's copy protection. I couldn't get a cracked copy to detect my dongle.

The trick is to hold the dial key, then power on... then use huawai unlocker, then flash with a better firmware, like WLCGCPU11020_UPDATE_ALL_NO_QCSBL_V100R001C00B112SP 05_USB.exe

sorryabout
19th August 2011, 02:16 AM
Just to let everyone know,

I think the phone analysis software (QMAT -> PSAS -> Revskills) has removed the ability to do this?

Is there a linux program for something like this?

DC Unlocker is a pain to use with it's copy protection. I couldn't get a cracked copy to detect my dongle.

The trick is to hold the dial key, then power on... then use huawai unlocker, then flash with a better firmware, like WLCGCPU11020_UPDATE_ALL_NO_QCSBL_V100R001C00B112SP 05_USB.exe

I really struggled with this but I finally managed to do it!
I couldn't find any old version of PSAS.

The new Revskills version is different but I did work fot me.

So here is what I did:

Menu > Hardware Forensic > Port Utils > QC+AT-Cmd

Then, in SETUP:

- For the serial com port, I didn't choose the "COMx -HUAWEI... 3G Application Interface" (It didn't work)
but the "COMx - \Device\QCUSB_COMx" instead. where x is the same number as the 3G application interface (COM3 for me)

Then in DIAG:
-Read EFS factory image
I ticked -Alternative Method
and - Let's GO!!!

And there it was, in the middle of all those squares, this famous L TP.

I hope this will help one of you!

And thanks a mill, HandsOn!!

Pozzman
7th September 2011, 10:42 PM
I used rev skills and dc unlock on windows 7
Took a couple of reboots of the mifi

Now unlocked from 3 and running on vodaphone.

Thanks for the great thread

PD66
9th September 2011, 01:13 PM
Hi,

I've now successfully unlocked three of the latest UK revision E585s using the method in the first post as the base. However, I've also found that if you set the page limit in PSAS to 850 and then do a search of the resulting file for the following string 2ô2õIròP (copy and paste to use), the 8 digit unlock code is immediately before it! This worked for all three and they were all bought from different shops over a period of 3 months.

NOTE: I put an 'Invalid SIM' into each of the units while I did the data extraction!

I also upgraded the firmware on an unlocked version 1 unit, using the software at the following link http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/Start-download/E585/225-E585-Firmware-Update-1026.11.64.18.505sp01.html and as was expected the unit remianed unlocked!

Cheers,

PD66

danker1990
9th September 2011, 02:41 PM
Which post are yiou mentioning about as i can't exactly find it. copy and paste the info please.

PD66
9th September 2011, 04:02 PM
Which post are yiou mentioning about as i can't exactly find it. copy and paste the info please.

Hi,

I'm referring to the unlock instructions contained in the very first post on page 1 of this thread. I don't really want to copy them to here, as they are very long and the owner of the thread posts updates directly into that post.

Cheers,

PD66

jasonheight
12th September 2011, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone, I have tried this method on the new E586, and does not work, unable to read EFS (EFS not supported by this device)
has anyone else tried to unlock the E586?

Thanks in advance!

MTT
13th September 2011, 02:17 PM
Hi,

I've now successfully unlocked three of the latest UK revision E585s using the method in the first post as the base. However, I've also found that if you set the page limit in PSAS to 850 and then do a search of the resulting file for the following string 2ô2õIròP (copy and paste to use), the 8 digit unlock code is immediately before it! This worked for all three and they were all bought from different shops over a period of 3 months.

NOTE: I put an 'Invalid SIM' into each of the units while I did the data extraction!

I also upgraded the firmware on an unlocked version 1 unit, using the software at the following link http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/Start-download/E585/225-E585-Firmware-Update-1026.11.64.18.505sp01.html and as was expected the unit remianed unlocked!

Cheers,

PD66

How do I update the firmware, which program?

Is it worth the update over previous firmware?

PD66
13th September 2011, 04:13 PM
The firmware update is at the link in my post and is self executable.

I don't know whether it's any better than the previous though!

BobZero
18th September 2011, 08:03 PM
Hy,

im searching since hours for the code in the dumped logfile. If tried any maxpages from 400 to 4000 in diffent stepts but the size is from 1000 identical. I have no idear where to search. The end of every log is filled with withespaces.

Edit:

I found a method for searching the key:

After you have dumped the log you should open it with notepad++ und search via the regular expression "[0-9]X" => the last Result is the Key.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/593/screenna.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/screenna.png/)

Hands0n
19th September 2011, 10:54 PM
Hi BobZero - welcome to Talk3G and thank you so much for the tip to use Notepad++ and regular expression search to locate the key. I have never been able to really get my head around Regex searching, it gives me a headache :-) So thank you again for the marvellous tip.

rohit3192
23rd September 2011, 08:05 PM
HandsOn many thanks to you and many other members.
I got my E585 unlocked. Yes it required dcunlocker9without credit ;-) + psas software.
I have a problem,though e585 is unlocked but I can not access internet.
Right now I have 2g sim with which I can access edge on mobile phones.
Though sim is recognized and I can access settings and tried apn settings in ALL ways but no success.
So,I want to know whether E585 works with specific sim cards?
On screen it shows 2G.

Dburrin
24th September 2011, 02:51 PM
Hi
I've just got my new E585 (Three) and managed to get the log file via DC locker and Revskills, however there isn't a LP T or PST code anywhere. Could someone give me some advice as to what i'm looking for - When using Revskills it doesn't give page sizes like the older PSAS and the file i've got is over 2mb so the code should be in there somewhere, assuming three still keep the code in the firmware. I really don't want to pay three to unlock it for me.

Thanks
D

rohit3192
24th September 2011, 02:55 PM
do not use rev skills.
Use PSAS+ DC unlocker (run first dc unlocker)
I set max page size to 2000. file size was around 746kb.
it was in the last(like 2n last line) (when you view in notepad)

Dburrin
24th September 2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the help. Was using REV Skills becasue PSAS seemed to allways give me this port is being used by another programme error.

Have now unlocked my Three E585 through the following steps
plug in turn on
switch off all mobile device type software (even though i closed the Vodafone connect that comes up with my non three sim it was still running in application manager)
run DC unlocker and do an autodetect (free version - this step seems to be missing in a lot of the online instructions and i think that not running this step was why i was getting the error about another software using this port message)
run REVSKILLS (i used V2.02.2 Trial) from the menu choose hardware forensices and then port utils and QC +AT Command
choose the correct serial port from the setup screen
press send from the diag commands - this will give you back the version info etc
from diag functions choose read EFS Factory image and press "lets go" this will let you save a log file
On my version of the Three E585 dated May 2010 on the box there was no PST or LP T anywhere to be found.
Instead use Notepad++ and open the file
Choose search and Find
In the find what box type [0-9]8 and select regular expression and press find all
The last value it finds (in my case line 6323 is you 8 digit unlock code.
Then got to 192.168.1.1/slimlock.asp and enter the code to unlock the device. (It will reset automatically but mine needed me to power it off and back on
Your unlocked
To actually use my voda sim i had to add a new profile to the mi-fi to do this:-
Reconect to the device via 192.168.1.1 and from the my three software and a new profile for your new sim rembering to put the APN and new username and password etc(i did this with the 3 sim in rather than new sim and then swapped them back)
I can now use my device with the 3gb three sim or the vodafone sim (one of the non time expire £15 topup ones) just by swapping the sims over.
All is well with the world

Thanks
D

Abu Abdullah
27th September 2011, 09:56 PM
Hi everyone, I have tried this method on the new E586, and does not work, unable to read EFS (EFS not supported by this device)
has anyone else tried to unlock the E586?

Thanks in advance!

Same question +1

thank you

kbhuiyan
29th September 2011, 09:32 AM
The unlock.zip file is no longer there, is it avaialble somewhere else, please.

Dburrin
29th September 2011, 05:33 PM
To unlock the E585 i used DC Unlcoker http://www.dc-unlocker.com/downloads RevSkills http://psas.revskills.de/?q=node/6 and Notepad++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v5.9.2.html

Hote this helps
Damian

ukcobra
10th October 2011, 08:40 AM
I've tried to follow the guides here and could not get past the "another software using this port message" error.

This would be shown either using PSAS or RevSkills at the point whereby I was trying to extract the log.

This was repeated on Windows Vista and Windows XP.

This was purchased from PC World 2 days ago, so I am guesisng I may have a new firmware image that does not allow the above documented procedures to work.

Has anyone else managed to overcome the unable to dump the logs ?

Dburrin
10th October 2011, 06:58 PM
After you plug in your mifi it will probably boot the sim cards connection software - like Vodafone connect. Even though you close this it tends to run in the background, use task manager to ensure all such software is closed, then use DC unlocker and do an auto detect and leave this running before you use rev skills to download the log file. My Mifi was a 3 branded one and has the latest firmware on it and the instructions I posted #189 worked.

Hope this helps.

ukcobra
11th October 2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the response, I will check what is running in Task Manager, and have another go.
I'll report back here what I find.

Regards

Mark

ukcobra
15th October 2011, 03:28 PM
Still no luck, I have tried watching Task manager and connecting the Modem with my non-3 Sim in it.
I still get the error message saying the port is being held by another piece of software.
I need some specifics as to what item in Task manager needs to be killed.

ukcobra
15th October 2011, 08:43 PM
In the end bought an unlock code from eBay, the seller unlock code did n't intially work, but did some remote troubleshooting.

In the end, my issue was down to Vista, as soon as we tried the above steps in Windows 7, it worked first time.

So my advice is if you get issues with saving the log, try a Win 7 machine.

Hands0n
16th October 2011, 12:10 PM
@ukcobra - Thank you for the feedback, useful and handy advice to know. When I launched this thread I was using XP and that worked okay. Then I updated to Windows 7 and that worked too. I never used Vista, that seems to be problematic very frequently!

Glad you got there in the end.

hyyangoz
19th October 2011, 11:25 AM
hi guys,

I been trying to unlock F/W:11.106.00.08.240
e585u 82 for days now and i am stuck locating the 8 digits. I have tried all the option that was listed prev but still having a hard time finding it. :confused:
i have managed to get 2 different version of PSAS log using different versions.

v1.10 has 756kB and v2.05.2 has 2.49Mb Log file.

i have been going through days looking at the funny charts to locate the 8 digit number but i can not seem to find it. i have attempted twice an no luck. :confused:

what im i doing wrong guys?

richhickson
24th October 2011, 03:48 PM
Hi

Ive read through all the pages on this thread and still not managed to unlock my E585.

Ive tried both PSAS and RevSKills on windows 7 and XP.

Windows7 RevSKills gives me a logfile. But i cant seem to get the 8 digit number from it, PSAS crashes on windows 7, and gives me a message about the port maybe being used by something else.

DCunlocker does detect it on both win7 & XP. Ive also left dcunlocker running whilst both PASA and RS where.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

Hands0n
25th October 2011, 10:42 PM
Hi Richhickson, welcome to Talk3G.

If you are getting the logfile with Win7 and RevSKills then try the tip in post 187 ( https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8334-How-To-Unlock-the-Three-MiFi-E585-manual-method-completely-free-of-any-cost&p=43851#post43851 ) that suggests using a RegEx to find the string in the file.

If the string is not there, try pulling a longer file from the device, its in there, somewhere.

richhickson
25th October 2011, 10:52 PM
Sorry I should have put. I've used notepad++ and it gives me 10 or so different 8 digit codes but none of those unlock it.

r2bsure
15th November 2011, 03:15 PM
Hi,
I like what I've been reading here.
This is my first post here.
It seems that I have a few problems:
1) I have an E585C (note the 'C') That I brought (outright) from SFR (France).
2) It did not come with any software (as refereed to in Post # 1: "Requirements: 3 wireless Manager- (whatever software that came with your modem, in order to recognise your modem on usb mode)"
3) I'm using Linux (Fedora/Red Hat)
4) I just arrived in the UK ... therefore ...when turn the (French) devise on it displays "No Network" (ditto therefore when the devise connected to laptop via usb cable).
I've tried :
I've read all of Post # 1 and a few that followed - and then jumped to Post # 84 onwards for a few.
I tried downloading the Rev file using Wine but I cant get past a window that tells me that the software is for Forensic use and NOT for unlocking use.
I've entered words like 'Linux' (into the search field) but can't seem to find anything helpful to me.
QUESTION(s):
1) Have I missed something in the thread?
2) Is there a workaround that would suit Linux users?
Thanks for reading this. I hope I haven't supplied too much or too little info. I'm jetlagged at the moment and perhaps I should take a fresh look tomo ;)

PhilUK
19th November 2011, 11:43 AM
1) Have I missed something in the thread?
2) Is there a workaround that would suit Linux users?

the software is carried on the device, 3G dongles and the mifi act as a CD when first plugged in and install the software & drivers to Windows which then flips it to modem mode.

I plugged a mifi to my linux pc and it shows up as "3 WiFi Manager" in "places" in Ubuntu

/dev/sr1 8.8M 8.8M 0 100% /media/3 WiFi Manager

and on there I can see a folder with the Windows software in it.

hessian
20th November 2011, 05:32 PM
Yay! It works!!
I followed the advice and the steps I took were:

Run DC unlocker first (in administrator mode on laptop). Allow it to connect to the MiFi via the cable (not wireless) Leave DC Unlocker running.
Run PSAS (in administrator mode on laptop) and follow the instructions in the first post. I set the baud rate to 9600 - it takes some, maybe 2-4 minutes. Make sure you select the USB port as per YYY's post above - see 2nd picture.
Open the resulting file in notepad and scroll right to the very end. Copy the 8 digit number and paste into the unlock box as per the instructions on the first post.
MiFi will reboot and should then show your network provider on the screen (mine is Orange in the UK).

My device details are:

Model : Huawei E585
IMEI : 3523980434*****
Serial NR. : M7A4CA113170****
Firmware : 1026.11.64.18.505sp01
Compile date / time : Sep 6 2010 12:02:06
Dashboard version : ConnLaucher_WIN1.01.01.156_MAC1.01.02.156

Hope this helps a few other people get theirs unlocked!

Worked for me with the same firmware. Thanks :)

lionel
22nd November 2011, 11:39 PM
I have unlocked my E585 using the info from post #178. I also wrote a perl script to find all occurences of 8 digit numbers in the EFS file. Anyway after that I looked up the IMEI number
for the E585 and wrote that into an Excel sheet and divided it by the unlock code I obtained from the EFS. Amazing the result was an integer = 4837110. Anybody got anything similar like that....

ie IMEI/unlock code = 4837110

DeltaGsm
28th November 2011, 03:29 PM
hi i have read this thread but i am still unable to find the unlock code from my E585 log
and i am hoping that could someone will take look and advise me? as i have struggled with this for nearly 2weeks now thanks
link to log generated
http://www.mediafire.com/?8pqg7rrwea3l8jn

henrooo
19th December 2011, 11:57 PM
Same question +1

thank you

I've tried to unlock my E586 [three] device using this method in this thread; with no success.

dc-unlocker auto detects the the device and the COM,

The problem begins at the PSAS "lets go" stage. I get an error message;

"Phone does not respond. Maybe another software is blocking the port"

I'd be interested in any suggestions as I'd like to avoid paying to unlock it.

Thnaks.

silverstreak_2006
20th December 2011, 05:35 PM
Hi to all here, very interesting reading, and did not realise that three in the UK had updated firmware again to make this process a little more difficult for the well known.

I followed the early processes last year when I bought my e585 from a three store. To some success, I can drop another Sim in, and it comes up fine, but very slow to boot, and the sim settings are still greyed out. I have continued using this on three for now, but wondered if it is the firmware that needs re-flashing or something. I don't have the unit with me, and cannot give any firmware versions at present, but I do know that I compared it with another one, and the versions matched.

If anybody could generate any input to the situation, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Pete

TheChicGeek
20th January 2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks to all the contributors on this thread.

I have managed to unlock my E585 after several hours of trying. I thought I'd better get the thanks out of the way first! I will post again with IMEI details (mine was one of the newer ones) and firmware and list the steps that finally worked for me. I took bits from different posts and managed to get it to work. Just need to flash firmware and setup APN details on modem. :)

TheChicGeek
21st January 2012, 12:12 AM
I've been reading this thread for the last 2 days so I was inspired to buy a Huawei E585 locked to 3 Network from eBay, just so that I could unlock it. I'd already unlocked 2 other Huawei mobile broadband dongles last week, so fancied another challenge.

So modem details are now:
Model: Huawei E585
IMEI: 3523980435xxxx (from what I have read on this thread, this is a newer model?)
Serial NR: M7A4CA1140502519
Firmware: 1026.11.64.18.505sp01
Compile date / time: Sep 6 2010 12:02:06
Dashboard version: ConnLaucher_WIN1.01.01.156_MAC1.01.02.156
SIM Lock status: unlocked ;)

I won't detail what went wrong but will detail the steps that eventually worked (for me)

Download and install dc-unlocker (http://www.dc-unlocker.com/downloads/get/bmWgDFT)
Download and install PSAS (see post #1 (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8334-How-To-Unlock-the-Three-MiFi-E585-manual-method-completely-free-of-any-cost&p=40201#post40201) - the Dropbox link)
Turn wireless off
Put in different network SIM into the modem, turn it on and connect to to the PC via USB
Run DC Unlocker as Administrator, then scan and make sure you can see the device. It will say locked at the bottom next to SIM status.
Run PSAS v1.15 as Administrator
In PAS click Hardware Forensics tab, choose "Use Mobile ports"
You will be taken to the Setup tab. Set Serial Com Port to COM# - \Device\QCUSB_COM#_1 and Baud rate to 115200 (decrease it to 9600 if PSAS crashes)
Now go to PSAS DIAG tab, press the Send button and make sure that text is returned in the white box below.
Change Save Memory To File to Read EFS, change Max Page to 5000 and click Alternate Method
Click lets go. Save the file to the desktop, and once PSAS is done open it in Notepad.
To find my unlock code, it was post #143 (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8334-How-To-Unlock-the-Three-MiFi-E585-manual-method-completely-free-of-any-cost&p=43238#post43238) that helped by referring to the method used in post #83-93 (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8334-How-To-Unlock-the-Three-MiFi-E585-manual-method-completely-free-of-any-cost&p=42776#post42776)
When you have found your code type: http://192.168.1.1/simlock.asp in your browser and enter your unlock code

That is what worked for me. I've written it down in a rush whilst it's still fresh in my head. I just need to "unbrand" it and install a generic dashboard. Will post again, once I've succeeded with that.

Thanks again to all the contributors. I hope that my contribution also helps someone!

Hands0n
21st January 2012, 01:34 PM
@TheChicGeek - Hi and welcome to Talk3G. This thread has grown over time and developed with each new version of the firmware. Thank you very much for your contribution, it will be beneficial to anyone who follows in your footsteps. The game has changed a bit over time :)

I have updated the OP to put a pointer to your post above. ;)

TheChicGeek
22nd January 2012, 12:08 AM
Hands0n - wow, I'm honoured; thank you!

I think next time though, I will check the IMEI number before I buy to unlock again. It was after I bought it that I realised that I had one of the slightly newer versions. If it wasn't for reading all 11 pages of this thread, I'd still be at it now :(. It was putting together bits from each post and a bit of trial and error that finally helped me get it to work. I shouldn't complain though. I managed to get it sorted in a few hours. The challenge has also added to my knowledge of Huawei unlocking.

I was so inspired to try unlocking an E585 after reading this thread and having previously unlocked Huawei E163 and E160 dongles. I'm a recent convert to giffgaff too, so am making full use of my gigabags and the such like. I haven't found an "unbranded" dashboard yet for the E585. That's the next challenge :eek:

Anyway, thanks again for updating the thread with my post. I am pleased to have been able to contribute.

Hands0n
22nd January 2012, 01:09 AM
You could try a couple of things re the Dashboard.

When I unlocked my E583 I also found the generic Huawei firmware, and that had the Web page feature that the E585 and E586 added later. That said, I have not personally located generic Huawei firmware for either the E585 or E586. But they must be about. Huawei's support site doesn't seem to have anything of use anymore (thats where I got the E583 firmware from!).

Worth a look if you've the time and energy :-)

jugglesxp
19th February 2012, 07:08 PM
Found modem : E586
Model : Huawei E586
IMEI : 86874100188****
Serial NR. : R8Z4CC11C2803***
Firmware : 21.321.07.00.21
Compile date / time : Jul 27 2011 17:57:51
Chipset : Qualcomm
Voice feature : not supported in current firmware
SIM Lock status : Locked (CardLock)
Wrong codes entered : 2 (unlock attempts left : 8)

My version doesnt have the COM# - \Device\QCUSB_COM#_1 port.

instead it shows a \device\huawei_cdcacm_AcmSerial0 port!

PSAS reports:

EFS SubSys Browser is NOT supported.
EFS Standard Browser is NOT supported.
Memory Dump is NOT supported.
EFS Raw Read is NOT supported.
EFS Raw Read Alternative is NOT supported.
NV Item Read is NOT supported.

jhap
25th February 2012, 01:52 PM
For those who have a Huawei E585 locked to 3 Network,

Can you please upload the entire contents of the cd drive of your E585 and upload it via any file hosting site? Please use the Huawei Dashboard Tool, UtraISO or any cd copying software you may have to copy the entire CD image. I really need it because I messed up my E585. It would be a big help if you will do it.

Thanks a lot

chengkj
16th March 2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah. I think the log may be larger than 743KB as I mention in my previous post. This may be due to different SIM like what owieh said or different languages on your computer. If you can get a line like 55000,0,2,55000,0,255000... most likely you are at the end of the log file.

The method may also works on E583C or other E5 series MiFi. Just that the unlock code for these MiFis is in different places. For E583C, you may need to look at the 8 digits between the word "Profile" and it looks something like this "35855243 õ "

Good luck for your unlocking.

Just wanna add my thanks to the contributors of this thread, I was also able to unlock my device :)

model - Huawei E5830/E583x

Found modem : E583C-2
Model : Huawei E5830/E583x
IMEI : 352197040627067
Serial NR. : I1A4CB1140501793
Firmware : 902.11.303.03.105sp02
Compile date / time : Sep 11 2010 10:06:50
Dashboard version : UTPSTOOL-ConnLaucher_WIN1.01.01.74_MAC1.01.00.74

It took me a while because the first methods wouldn't work for me (finding 'PST' or 'LT P'), but when I saw YYY's post about my modem's version, I just searched in Notepad the 'õ' character and there it was! There were a lot of 'profile' in the text and fortunately the single special character (with exact case) worked and it was near the top for some reason

alrasheeds
18th March 2012, 07:57 AM
Found modem : E586
Model : Huawei E586
IMEI : 86874100188****
Serial NR. : R8Z4CC11C2803***
Firmware : 21.321.07.00.21
Compile date / time : Jul 27 2011 17:57:51
Chipset : Qualcomm
SIM Lock status : Locked (CardLock)
Wrong codes entered : 2 (unlock attempts left : 8)

My version doesnt have the COM# - \Device\QCUSB_COM#_1 port.

instead it shows a \device\huawei_cdcacm_AcmSerial0 port!

PSAS reports:

EFS SubSys Browser is NOT supported.
EFS Standard Browser is NOT supported.
Memory Dump is NOT supported.
EFS Raw Read is NOT supported.
EFS Raw Read Alternative is NOT supported.
NV Item Read is NOT supported.

Hi jugglesxp... Have you been able to unlock your E586? I just got one from 3 and am having the same problem as you.

Anyone out there able to assist in the E586 Unlock???

Thanks in advance for your help :)

jugglesxp
21st March 2012, 06:30 PM
Hi jugglesxp... Have you been able to unlock your E586? I just got one from 3 and am having the same problem as you.

Anyone out there able to assist in the E586 Unlock???

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I ended up Paying for an unlock using DC Unlocker. cost me 10€ and took about 15 seconds.

paulbds
22nd March 2012, 12:01 AM
Ditto here

JellyWelly
29th April 2012, 02:40 PM
I unlocked using TheChick's post #211

I had to scan through the dumped file but the unlock code stuck out like a sore thumb, around three lines from the end.

Thanks for all the contributors who made this possible - and "boo" to Three who feel the need to lock their devices in the first place.

QuattroD
30th April 2012, 10:28 PM
I have been trying to unlock a Huawei E585 with no success so far.

My attempt so far:

PSAS – this is used to read EFS data and output to a plain text file. This worked flawlessly.

Windows Notepad was then used to find the unlock code in the text file crated by the PSAS software, as described in the guide.

My problem is the last step; actually unlocking the device. All the guides now say to install a SIM of a different network, connect to the MiFi and try to navigate to any web page. At this point they say I should get presented with a page requesting the unlock code. This does not happen, I just get a standard ‘server not found’ type of screen. No problem, for the guides say that if not directed automatically to the unlock page, one can manually navigate there using the address 192.168.1.1/simlock.asp When I do this I am served up the main MiFi dashboard; 192.168.1.1/indexf.asp Digging around in this dashboard I can find tools in 'SIM Settings' which seem to have an option to allow the entry of an unlock code, but when I select the 'Unlock Device' icon to do this, nothing happens.

The upshot of all this is that I seem to have a valid unlock code, but no means to input it. I can’t think I’m the only person ever to have had this problem.

Can anyone tell me how I need to proceed, or point me in the direction of a previously documented solution to this issue?

Thank you.

pbezza
5th May 2012, 01:37 PM
I've set max lines to 6000 and generated a file which was 1080KB. A previous post or 2 suggested searching for 55000 but my file had similarities numbered no greater than 52xxx. Changed max lines to 12000 and generated a file which was 1081KB. The contents were pretty much identical to 1080KB file. Tried more lines but PSASA v1.15 keeps stopping way short of requested lines. After every failure or connectivity issue, restarting device has allowed me to talk to it with success again. Attempting the default of 40000 lines w ith PSAS right now, will see if I can find 55xxx in the generated file. My AUS Vodafone prepaid firmware is v11.106.00.08.240

kulka00
13th July 2012, 03:42 PM
hi

if anyone need unlock code for huawei e585 please post the imei number only do not need a log file

it will be a test for generator

Thanks

DeltaGsm
13th July 2012, 04:11 PM
IEMI Number: 352398040879183
Much apprciated :D

hi
if anyone need unlock code for huawei e585 please post the imei number only do not need a log file
Thanks

kulka00
13th July 2012, 04:24 PM
352398040879183 Unlock code 59472698

just insert simcard from other network

type 192.168.1.1/simlock.asp

and enter code provided

can you please post the results ;)

VivaTequila
13th July 2012, 04:42 PM
Can anyone magic me up an unlock code? I'll post up results.

DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.0764

Detecting card :

selection :
model - Auto detect (recommended)

Found modem : E585u-82
Model : Huawei E585U-82
IMEI : 357309041635776
Serial NR. : Q9Q4CB11A2009930
Firmware : 11.106.00.08.240
Compile date / time : Jun 23 2011 22:05:31
Wrong codes entered : 0 (unlock attempts left : 10)

kulka00
13th July 2012, 04:54 PM
abracadabra ;)

357309041635776 Unlock code = 83800512

Can anyone magic me up an unlock code? I'll post up results.

Detecting card :

selection :

BBQRIBS
13th July 2012, 05:58 PM
I too have been having this problem. Has anybody got a solution? Thanks.

I have been trying to unlock a Huawei E585 with no success so far.

My attempt so far:

PSAS – this is used to read EFS data and output to a plain text file. This worked flawlessly.

Windows Notepad was then used to find the unlock code in the text file crated by the PSAS software, as described in the guide.

My problem is the last step; actually unlocking the device. All the guides now say to install a SIM of a different network, connect to the MiFi and try to navigate to any web page. At this point they say I should get presented with a page requesting the unlock code. This does not happen, I just get a standard ‘server not found’ type of screen. No problem, for the guides say that if not directed automatically to the unlock page, one can manually navigate there using the address 192.168.1.1/simlock.asp When I do this I am served up the main MiFi dashboard; 192.168.1.1/indexf.asp Digging around in this dashboard I can find tools in 'SIM Settings' which seem to have an option to allow the entry of an unlock code, but when I select the 'Unlock Device' icon to do this, nothing happens.

The upshot of all this is that I seem to have a valid unlock code, but no means to input it. I can’t think I’m the only person ever to have had this problem.

Can anyone tell me how I need to proceed, or point me in the direction of a previously documented solution to this issue?

Thank you.

kulka00
13th July 2012, 07:38 PM
when you insert a different mobile network simcard is it display network name or invalid simcard?

if its invalid simcard you can use this soft

http://huawei-e585-unlock.like.pl/upload/file/huawei%20client%20unlocking%20soft.zip

you need to connect your modem via usb cable with different mobile operator simcard

you should see the imei number in this app

and then enter the code

I too have been having this problem. Has anybody got a solution? Thanks.

VivaTequila
14th July 2012, 12:30 AM
I really wanted to endorse the latest poster who claims to offer a generator.

I pm'd him and asked him for an unlock code (provided my IMEI) and he actually procured one and sent it back to me and it worked. Below is a copy of the PM's:

abracadabra

357309041635776 Unlock code = 83800512

Detecting card :

selection :

I'll post up results asap :)

If your generator works, I'll be so happy!

It actually worked. This guy knows his ****. This isn't a phony review either, I had been trying for ages and ages to get it to work, and FINALLY he's come along and saved the day.

Now... to activate my new sim card. Hello Virgin 12GB Plan! GOODBYE VODAFONE :D

jhap
14th July 2012, 04:10 AM
hi

Thanks

Here it is. thanks

IMEI: 357309040535241

kulka00
14th July 2012, 11:48 AM
357309040535241 Unlock code 86281452

please post the results

thanks

Here it is. thanks

IMEI: 357309040535241

jhap
14th July 2012, 01:00 PM
357309040535241 Unlock code 86281452

please post the results

thanks

you're great man! it works!

Wonky
18th July 2012, 02:46 PM
hi

Thanks

I you can help unlock my huawei e585 modem I will be eternally grateful.

IMEI is 352398040037063

Thanks in advance.

Rabmac
18th July 2012, 07:35 PM
Hi can someone post unlock code for
Imei 352398040400337 for E585 thanks

Rabmac
18th July 2012, 08:05 PM

just to say firmware is 1026.11.64.11.503
may 20 2010 13.07.59 compile date cant get psas to work tried loads of settings just crashes after few seconds thanks

kulka00
19th July 2012, 10:58 AM
352398040037063 Unlock code 44938280

can you please post the results

I you can help unlock my huawei e585 modem I will be eternally grateful.

IMEI is 352398040037063

Thanks in advance.

kulka00
19th July 2012, 10:59 AM
352398040400337 Unlock code: 97390921

Rabmac
19th July 2012, 01:05 PM
352398040400337 Unlock code: 97390921

Hi kulka00 thanks for code I hav tried it a few times but doesn't unlock says unlock failed do u think I should update software on e585 it doesn't hav sp01 at the end of the version cheers

Wonky
19th July 2012, 02:17 PM
352398040037063 Unlock code 44938280

Thanks for responding.
I have tried this code several times to no avail. Please see below screenshot by dc-unlocker after latest try.

DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.0575
Detecting card :
selection :
Found modem******** : E585
Model************** : Huawei E585
IMEI*************** : 352398040037063
Serial NR.********* : M74CAA1062104519
Firmware*********** : 1026.11.64.11.503
Compile date / time : May 20 2010 13:07:59
Dashboard version** : UTPS15.001.06.02.156_MAC13.305.05.03.156
Chipset************ : Qualcomm MSM7625A
SIM Lock status**** : Locked (Card Lock)

Any further advice would be welcome. I can not seem to get PSA to run without crashing. So looks like stuck with 3 sim for the time being!

kulka00
19th July 2012, 04:03 PM
I can suggest to try run psas on different pc if possible, I never had a problems on win xp and 7, or try on different usb port

Thanks for responding.
I have tried this code several times to no avail. Please see below screenshot by dc-unlocker after latest try.

DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.0575
Detecting card :
selection :
Found modem******** : E585
Model************** : Huawei E585
IMEI*************** : 352398040037063
Serial NR.********* : M74CAA1062104519
Firmware*********** : 1026.11.64.11.503
Compile date / time : May 20 2010 13:07:59
Dashboard version** : UTPS15.001.06.02.156_MAC13.305.05.03.156
Chipset************ : Qualcomm MSM7625A
SIM Lock status**** : Locked (Card Lock)

Any further advice would be welcome. I can not seem to get PSA to run without crashing. So looks like stuck with 3 sim for the time being!

Wonky
19th July 2012, 04:29 PM
I can suggest to try run psas on different pc if possible, I never had a problems on win xp and 7, or try on different usb port

Well unlocked at last! I had tried on 2 other machines. I have just used software from http://psas.revskills.de/ which worked first time. I found my code using the tutorial in the first post using notepad find function. Just need to setup the modem to my new provider now.

Many thanks for your help.

Rabmac
19th July 2012, 06:24 PM
Hi wonky I had exact same prob and reskills also worked for me 2 cheers and thanks for everybodys help sorted

Wonky
19th July 2012, 06:33 PM
Hi wonky I had exact same prob and reskills also worked for me 2 cheers and thanks for everybodys help sorted
Glad to hear it. Enjoy!

qianjizhao
21st July 2012, 12:16 AM
hi

Thanks

hi I tried the other way, but seems not working for me.
and i only got 1 time left to unlock it.
can you help me please?
my IMEI is: 352398043723776

thank you.

jhap
22nd July 2012, 12:05 PM
hi

Thanks

please send me unlock code

IMEI: 357309041433933
IMEI: 357309042031868

thanks again.

pickled78
25th July 2012, 05:31 AM
"E585 ISO image
Can you please upload the entire contents of the cd drive of your E585 and upload it via any file hosting site? Please use the Huawei Dashboard Tool, UtraISO or any cd copying software you may have to copy the entire CD image. I really need it because I messed up my E585. It would be a big help if you will do it.
Thanks a lot
Last edited by jhap; 26th February 2012 at 12:22 AM. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Uploaded the cd drive of e585 to iso :)

https://rapidshare.com/files/526913683/3MiFi.iso

jhap
25th July 2012, 09:26 AM
"E585 ISO image
Thanks a lot
Last edited by jhap; 26th February 2012 at 12:22 AM. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Uploaded the cd drive of e585 to iso :)

https://rapidshare.com/files/526913683/3MiFi.iso

thank you!

wellingtonboots
25th July 2012, 03:47 PM
hi

Thanks

My IMEI is 357309042622823

Thank you very much in advance