Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Unlock the Three MiFi E585 - manual method, completely free of any cost

Blog Entries

Thumbs up How To: Unlock the Three MiFi E585 - manual method, completely free of any cost

Update - January 2012
    Please go to this post for the most recent success story. The firmware in the E585 has been changed over time and the process has changed also.
    Update - June 2011

Please go to Post #84 onwards to read about how our forum members have managed to use a modified version of the below process to unlock the latest firmware for the E585. I will update this post with the detail as soon as I can. If you are able to unlock the latest firmware using the modified process please post your experience on here.

Update - May 2011
    It appears that the newest firmware for the E585 cannot, at this time, be unlocked using the method stated in this thread. Zibri claims to have updated his utility to do the unlock, and that seems to be the only viable means right now. That may change in time.

As soon as we have an update on how to unlock the current version of the firmware we will post it upon this thread.
    **Edit** The PSAS software (see below) is no longer available on the link below. Instead use this link to grab yourself a copy of PSAS to do the work --> http://www.2shared.com/file/nSGmVJH7/psas.html

I have also uploaded a copy to Fileswap.com http://bit.ly/hw617u
    and Dropbox http://db.tt/My3Y2uf

Thanks also to the poster on this thread #45 for the info - https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.p...2349#post42349

This is a rather lengthy post, there is a lot to cover. Don't be put off. I just wanted to encapsulate a 50-page thread from another forum into one single and concise posting. This is it.

I absolutely detest any form of Service Provider (SP) locking of devices, especially those that are obtained on contract. The cost of the device while subsidised is fully recovered over the life of the contract. And so I always take the trouble to unlock such SP locked devices if I can. The Three MiFi is no exception to the rule.

Why even bother in the first place? Well, it is general experience that the UK mobile network operators do not have 100% UK national coverage, even if their coverage maps suggest otherwise. And so it is, usually, convenient to be able to pop in another network's SIM should the situation arise.

154119120-37bb7cac644f4a1c81bbbc841164660c.4c7c14c8-scaled.jpg

There are plenty of paid-for Unlock deals for the Three MiFi (the E585 being their current model). These hover around the £10 mark. But the great thing is that the unlock code is embedded in the MiFi firmware if only you could get to it.

And so you can. But it does take a little bit of work with a software tool and about 30 minutes of your time if you pace yourself and don't rush.

At this point I must stress that you do any of this at your own risk. If you get it wrong then you have only yourself to blame. But outside of that rather stern sounding caveat I should just say that it really is a simple process.

The main part of the process is culled from another site. You will have to download the PSAS software and install it to your Windows PC (works with XP, Vista and Windows 7). There may be a bit of adjusting settings required, I will cover these off after the main process itself.

Important: This is very, very, very important. Before you make a start on this please ensure that you read this entire posting and gather together and install and make sure that you know where all the software is that you will need.

Macca's help guide!

()- General Info
    ""- Click to select on PSAS

Requirements:

3 wireless Manager- (whatever software that came with your modem, in order to recognise your modem on usb mode)
    PSAS Software (the Free version) from Phone System Analysis Software - PSAS | The successor of QMAT - (on the downloads page)
    MS Windows Notepad- (This is from accesories on windows START menu)

SETUP to get everything ready to unlock your Mi-Fi)

Install PSAS software on windows computer.

After this, change the sim card inside your modem,
    (to a diferent network sim card)
    connect to the computer with usb cable and install the software that come with your Mi-Fi,then close down the Mi-Fi software.
    (make sure that you are not connected to the modem via wireless and the software that come with your Mi-Fi is not running, this step is only for instalation of the Mi-Fi Drivers)

USING PSAS To retrieve your unlock code)

Switch On your E585 and wait for it to start up completely

Run PSAS

On PSAS main page you have tab menus, select the "Hardware Forensics" menu tab and select "Use Mobile Port" this will open another PSAS program window for you (which is where all the magic happens)

In the new window:
    on the "SETUP" menu tab (which you are on already)just select the "Serial COM Port" (you need to choose the one that says that is your 3G Application Interface, not the one that says PC UI Interface whatever the COM Port), then select the "baud speed" (This varies depending on the computer speed and windows OS), and thats all you have to do for the setup menu tab

Next go to the "DIAG" menu tab and click on "send" this should now show some numbers on the open space box below, On the 'Diag Functions box' (box below the "send" button box)you wanna select "Read EFS" instead of Save memory to file then tick "Alternative Method" then on "max page" type: 250 (i did 250 but can range from 200 to 600 depending on the lines), then click "lets go", this will ask you to save a file so just name it and save it onto desktop. (you have to keep trying, PSAS will crash often and the more lines the most likely to crash)Once it works it will save the file to the desktop You now have a log file which will tell you your unlock code

USING NOTEPAD to find your unlock code from PSAS log file)

Open Notepad
    Now open this log with windows notepad and search for your code.The easiest way is to use the find feature in your
    notepad and type "PST" (NB: See also below) this will send you to your unlock code which are the numbers after the word PST, if you look
    around you will also see your srl. number.
    (if your note pad hasnt found the word PST in search it means you have to get more lines on the "Max page" procedure)

INSERTING ACTIVATION CODE Last step, entering the Unlock code.

Now connect your Computer to your Mi-Fi wireless and try to open any page, this will redirect you to 192.168.1.1/simlock.asp if not type "192.168.1.1/simlock.asp" into your browser and when the page loads type the code that you got from notepad

MY MESSAGE:

Thanks to all the posters in this forum you have really helped me and saved me some time and cash. Hope this will do the same for others.

I cannot guarantee this will work for you but this is what i did to get my E585 unlocked, if anything happens to your Mi-Fi do not hold me responsible for it, as all this information is already in this post i merely compiled, thus the reason i thank all the people that posted here. Good luck doing yours, read the forums it was hard for me as it was my first time but be resilient and you will succeed!!

Source URL: http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/6265659-post108.html
    Searching for the Unlock Code
    There appear to be a number of versions of the E585 firmware out in the wild. In the above procedure you are advised to search for the string "PST" in the log file that you produced using PSAS.

Elsewhere on that forum one experienced member advises to search for the string "LT P" (again, without the quotes but exactly as shown here). If correct then you will see an 8-digit string of numbers to the right of the search string.

PSAS keeps crashing or won't work
    I believe that this may be an issue limited to Windows 7 and the E585 together. What happens is that while producing the log file PSAS may error in Windows 7 and have to be force closed. The answer to this is to reduce the speed that PSAS uses to communicate with the E585. In my case I set the speed to 57,600 which worked fine. You do not need a fast speed as you are only going to be working with a tiny amount of data to be retrieved from the E585. So just go for a low speed or try setting the PSAS speed slower successively until one works.

Note, you may have to unplug the E585 and then plug it back in again between changes of speed in PSAS. You may also need to power the E585 off and then on again between each speed change.

Conclusion
    So, assuming you followed everything above correctly, that you didn't experience any issues that you could not overcome, and that everything worked as it should have, then you should have a fully working and unlocked Three E585 MiFi in your hands.

Enjoy
    Last edited by Hands0n; 21st January 2012 at 01:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Blog Entries

That sounds really comprehensive, thanks Hands0n! Very intrigued by the unlock procedure being built into the web interface - genius in terms of allowing an operator to issue unlocks without software!

I'll be needing an excuse to go into Canterbury to buy one of these, pronto! Stereo MiFi just sounds too good

robbiezxc
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    robbiezxc is offlineNew to Talk3G

hi
    i just unlock my 3 ireland MIFI with windows 7 useing this and it worked just fine first time
    just wanted to say thanks

Blog Entries

Hi robbiezxc, welcome to Talk3G. Thank you for the feedback and congrats on your unlock It really is liberating knowing that you can pop in any GSM/UMTS SIM you like and it'll work. Dead useful if travelling abroad as some foreign mobile operators have neat PAYG mobile data plans for their locals

Blog Entries

Tempting me to try it now

Blog Entries

QuoteOriginally Posted by Ben View Post
    Tempting me to try it now
    You know it makes sense

Red Devil 1878
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    Red Devil 1878 is offlineNew to Talk3G

An absolutely fantastic post Hands0n. I followed your instructions to unlock the E585 1st time round, within minutes of seeing it here. My Vodafone 1GB Non-Expiry SIM is working a treat in it.

You deserve a medal mate. Beats paying some donkey called Zibri (or whatever) a £10 "donation" any day of the week!! Don't suppose you have any similar instructions to unlock 3's ZTE MF 112 modem?

I purchased a few of 3's 12GB starter packs; was only really interested in the 12GB 12 month expiry SIM so would like to unlock the modems to sell as I have no use for them.

Blog Entries

Hello Red Devil 1878 - Welcome to Talk3G. I'm glad you got the unlock working for you with the script above. Its great to know that people are benefitting from it.

Sorry but I can't help with the ZTE MF 112 as I've not come across one of those in my travels. I'll keep an eye open and if anything comes up I'll post it on here for you

Red Devil 1878
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    Red Devil 1878 is offlineNew to Talk3G

I really appreciate that Hands0n. I have a further question if I may.

Can the "PSAS Unlocking App" you detail above, unlock (or give you the unlock code for) most phones/dongles or is it specific to E585 and a handfull of other devices?

I'm tempted to follow the above instructions but with my ZTE connected. I guess I don't have much to loose, but I'll hold fire until you get a chance to respond. Thanks again for the above! Pure Class!

Blog Entries

Well that is a good question. The PSAS app is fairly general purpose and is used for a lot more than we are making use of it here. In this specific case we're using it to take a memory dump so we can search for the embedded unlock code in the device. I do not know if ZTE incorporate the unlock code in their dongle's operating system, they may.

So, not really much of a useful answer I'm afraid. But it may be worth searching through the ZTE's memory if PSAS will read it and see if there is a regular string of numbers that might be its code.

But the example above for the MiFi is really tailored around that device so it may not work on other devices.

HTH

Y4Food
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • Visit Homepage
    • View Articles
    Y4Food is offlineNew to Talk3G

Hands0n, you are a star!

I run an internet takeaway food site and take my iPad everywhere to deal with rejected orders and such. Its ok when I am in the UK, but when I am abroad I have to stay in the hotel in case I need internet access which also costs a fortune. Now I can just pop a local SIM in to the MiFi and everything is good.

Thanks a million!

Blog Entries

@Y4Food - you are very welcome sir I'm glad this thread is getting good use, it certainly did the job for me and it is always good to see others able to make the same stuff work "off the shelf"

Glenn
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    Glenn is offlineNew to Talk3G

I was a little nervous at doing this as I had only just got my e585 from Three....when it came to putting the unlock code in at the end, the web page kept freezing and their are only 3 attempts. Anyway it worked a treat and now I'm surfing with Orange. One problem I did have at first though is, I could connect and get a strong signal but had no internet access...no pages would load. I would get the yellow exclamation mark. Within 30mins it had sorted itself out and now all is well. Thank you so much for this information.... I too hate been boxed in by providers.

Blog Entries

Hi Glenn - welcome to Talk3G. I'm not sure why the web page would have frozen but am glad that it worked for you in the end.

Perhaps a good tip for anyone else visiting and trying this out would be to clear your browser's Cache beforehand - its only a guess.

Blog Entries

Great to see so many people benefitting from this.

Don't forget how great Three's network seems to be these days, though. Definitely get unlocked, but send a bit of money Three's way to see if the service is good enough because if you've got coverage you'll probably find that they kick every other network to the curb in terms of performance right now.

Blog Entries

I would like to second that sentiment from Ben. It is not at all unusual for me to be using my iPhone which has a Vodafone SIM across my MiFi with a Three SIM installed. My specific reason for unlocking the MiFi were twofold. Firstly I do not like locked kit, it is an abomination to me. Secondly, I often take my MiFi with me on holiday or about when I travel. I like to be able to pop another network's SIM into the MiFi should I want or need some mobile data, whether that be in the UK or one of the various international destinations that I am likely to visit.

dkny2000
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    dkny2000 is offlineNew to Talk3G

i would like to think you
    my e585was locked & i unlocked it but how i can change the sitting coz the username (admin) & the password NOT (admin)
    so is there any way to reset the device to login the sitting?
    thank you
    best regards

Blog Entries

Have you tried the password = Admin (uppercase A)?

zubo
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    zubo is offlineNew to Talk3G

Default Help needed with error on unlock PSAS

Hi All

Hope someone has seen this...

a pal referred me here after I paid 10Euros to zibri and his unlock failed and he never returned my email...
    a simple, I dont know the answer, would have been preferable to no reply...

ah well, yawn.... let me not waste too much of your time reading this.

First, in your instructions you stiplute get PSAS but is that the one to buy or the free one?? I used the free one to install.

I have a 3 e585 I'm trying to unlock, my notebook is running Win7 connecting wirelessly to my Broadband router. I have inserted a Vodafone sim and connected to the usb port.

I start PSAS select Hardware Forensics, Use Mobile Ports,

my serial com port states COM6 HUAWEI Mobile Connect - USB Device (COM6) which looks correct

I select DIAG tab the diag commands field is pre-filled with 00
    I click Send and I get a dialog box
    Runtime Error! The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way...

and so it terminates.

Anyone know what is wrong please???

thanks

george

zubo
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    zubo is offlineNew to Talk3G

sorry guys....

need to switch the device ON.... forget this...

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast