Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews  

Go Back   Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews > Talk3G Handsets and Other Devices > Nokia 3G > Nokia 6233 & 6234
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 17th January 2006, 12:13 AM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to all
Lightbulb Nokia 6233 Details

http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,85445,00.html

The blurb:
"All too often, many are forced to sacrifice their favorite entertainment qualities in a phone in order to survive in the business world. Equally, many are also forced to struggle in the workplace in order have a comfortable, stylish, and user-friendly phone with them. The new Nokia 6233 phone provides the perfect balance of business and pleasure - in a sleek, attractive design.

Whether it's for business or pleasure, the Nokia 6233 phone gives you the best of both worlds. Get quick access to important information via mobile broadband while listening to your favorite music files through stereo and 3D surround sound speakers. Write letters on the go to colleagues or friends with the enhanced Java email client. Connect easily over-the-air to your office or home PC to share or move information to and from your phone.

Whether you're taking 2-megapixel quality pictures while on vacation, or sending your boss video excerpts of your last client meeting, the Nokia 6233 phone bridges the gap between business and pleasure in modern mobile phones."

Size
Weight: 110 g
Dimensions: 108 x 46 x 18 mm, 81 cc

This very robust looking Nokia will be a welcome addition to networks 3G offerings.
Old 18th January 2006, 12:50 PM

davidlove will become famous soon enoughdavidlove will become famous soon enough
Default Nokia 6233

I think Nokia will do well with this device. I presume they're aiming it at the 6230i upgrade market which, given that model's "hero" status since its launch, must be huge.

Will be interesting to see the cute little Opera Mini browser flying under 3G.

The "enhanced Java email client" will have to be quite something to enable writing letters on the move as per Nokia's blurb. They could make a start by fixing the implementation of T9, which on its predecessor is pathetic and spoils a great phone.
Old 25th May 2006, 08:53 AM

MR_G is on a distinguished road
Question

Has anybody tried the 6233. I have seen that vodafone will release thier version the 6234. I currently have a 6680 which is great for 3G and the fact that i can see all my meetings for the day on screen without having to go to the calendar. But it is a bit slow, and i was wondering if the 6234 using the series 40 interface would have the features i mentioned (incl. optional mem card), but running faster ?
Old 25th May 2006, 09:29 AM

davidlove will become famous soon enoughdavidlove will become famous soon enough

I fear we may have to wait a month or so to get the answer to that.

The 6233 version should start shipping in late June, don't know about the 6234, it usually takes the operators a bit more time to "enhance", ie mess up the software.
Old 25th May 2006, 10:00 AM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

I don't know if it'll have Active Standby as I've only seen that on S60, but it does have a memory card slot. It should run faster though.

Have you considered maybe the N70 or better yet N80?
Old 25th May 2006, 07:47 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

Active Standby is on the 6280 (an S40 handset) - but I really don't now if it is on the 6233/6234.
Old 25th May 2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
I don't know if it'll have Active Standby as I've only seen that on S60, but it does have a memory card slot. It should run faster though.

Have you considered maybe the N70 or better yet N80?
I've heard some bad press about the battery life on the N80 (http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/nokia-n80.htm), but is that not a S60 phone which will be as slow as the 6680 ?
Old 25th May 2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlove
I fear we may have to wait a month or so to get the answer to that.

The 6233 version should start shipping in late June, don't know about the 6234, it usually takes the operators a bit more time to "enhance", ie mess up the software.
According to the vodafone site, 6234 is available in May 06.....
Old 25th May 2006, 09:25 PM

Yep, just checked nokia website (http://nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,0,85486,00.html), and it does have active standby :-)

Looks like i gonna have to get one of these.....
Old 31st May 2006, 12:19 AM
New to Talk3G

tennant is on a distinguished road

Anyone know if the 6233/6234 does/will support Bluetooth SIM Access Profile? I really don't want to update my Nokia 610 car kit (and if I do, then I will be looking outside of Nokia for my handset upgrade). If this phone is really supposed to be the natural upgrade from the 6230i, then it will need this feature as far as I'm concerned.

Tennant
Old 31st May 2006, 01:33 AM
Talk3G Admin

Hello tennant, welcome to Talk3G.

The Nokia site states it is 616-Car-Kit compatible but I see no mention of the 610. It does, however, say, "Bluetooth wireless technology: wide range of profiles and APIs for seamless connectivity". To know for sure I guess you either need to 1) find someone who already has both, 2) contact Nokia or 3) Upgrade and then cancel the upgrade if the handset cannot be made to work with your car kit.
Old 1st June 2006, 06:13 PM
New to Talk3G

The 616 is basically the same as the 610, expcept that it added the standard Bluetooth headset/car profile which the 610 didn't have. The advantage of this is it makes the 616 compatible with almost any Bluetooth phone. However the advantage of the Bluetooth Sim Access Profile mode (the only mode supported by the 610) is that a) it uses the external car kit antenna, so better reception and b) there is no voice data transfer between the handset and the car kit hence handset battery lasts much longer.

Unfortunately "wide range of profiles and APIs" in Nokia speak means different things...sometimes if does include SAP sometimes it doesn't; which is why I need to know for sure.

Have tried contacting Nokia numerous times but so far no response. Vodafone don't know either.

Want to avoid having the hassle of sending back handset if it doesn't work if I can avoid it...plus still have the problem of what do I get instead...another 6230i seems only option.

Tennant
Old 3rd June 2006, 08:06 AM

I thought that the 6234 was a 3G phone, but looking at the vodafone website it is not being advertised as such.

Can someone confirm if the vodafone 6234 is 3G as the vodafone help desk just checked the website and said doesn't look like it.
Old 3rd June 2006, 11:46 AM

Yes the 6234 is a 3G phone. June issue of CPW's magazine highlights its Mobile TV capabilities and explicitly states "The latest Nokia 3G phone".

Will be interesting in time to compare its software with the generic 6233 version.
Old 6th June 2006, 07:16 PM
New to Talk3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
The Nokia site states it is 616-Car-Kit compatible but I see no mention of the 610. It does, however, say, "Bluetooth wireless technology: wide range of profiles and APIs for seamless connectivity". To know for sure I guess you either need to 1) find someone who already has both, 2) contact Nokia or 3) Upgrade and then cancel the upgrade if the handset cannot be made to work with your car kit.
Took the plunge and decided to order a 6234 on the off chance. Delighted to report that it does support SIM Access Profile (aka Remote SIM Mode) and works 100% perfectly with my Nokia 610 car kit.

I'm amazed that Nokia aren't promoting this fact as there are a lot of 610/616 car kit owers looking to update to a new/3G phone (I know at least two other people who are now going to upgrade for this very reason).

Tennant
Old 6th June 2006, 10:23 PM
Talk3G Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennant
I'm amazed that Nokia aren't promoting this fact as there are a lot of 610/616 car kit owers looking to update to a new/3G phone
Well now they know! Thanks for that, tennant, and I hope the handset performs admirably for you.
Old 9th June 2006, 01:00 PM

Looks like Tennant is having a few issues with the 6234, if using same ID on nokia discussion boards.

Tennant,

Interested to know if the active standby is the same on the 6234 as the 6680.

Is the phone worth a look ?
Old 9th June 2006, 04:49 PM
New to Talk3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_G
Looks like Tennant is having a few issues with the 6234, if using same ID on nokia discussion boards.
Yes, been having a strange issue where after using bluetooth it sometimes (seems to be no pattern to it) refuses to go into active standby unless I power cycle the phone.

Quote:
Interested to know if the active standby is the same on the 6234 as the 6680.
I have no experience of the 6680 I'm afraid.

Quote:
Is the phone worth a look ?
So far very pleased with the 6234...battery life not as long as I expected; but that's probably due to heavy bluetooth use and playing with the new features.

Tennant
Old 24th June 2006, 11:17 AM

Alio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,85445,00.html

The blurb:
"All too often, many are forced to sacrifice their favorite entertainment qualities in a phone in order to survive in the business world. Equally, many are also forced to struggle in the workplace in order have a comfortable, stylish, and user-friendly phone with them. The new Nokia 6233 phone provides the perfect balance of business and pleasure - in a sleek, attractive design.

Whether it's for business or pleasure, the Nokia 6233 phone gives you the best of both worlds. Get quick access to important information via mobile broadband while listening to your favorite music files through stereo and 3D surround sound speakers. Write letters on the go to colleagues or friends with the enhanced Java email client. Connect easily over-the-air to your office or home PC to share or move information to and from your phone.

Whether you're taking 2-megapixel quality pictures while on vacation, or sending your boss video excerpts of your last client meeting, the Nokia 6233 phone bridges the gap between business and pleasure in modern mobile phones."

Size
Weight: 110 g
Dimensions: 108 x 46 x 18 mm, 81 cc

This very robust looking Nokia will be a welcome addition to networks 3G offerings.
The Nokia 6233 looks the biz......and is on Orange's "coming soon list" in black as well......cool might get one!

Been comparing the 6233 v 6234........Can anyone tell me if there is any real difference in features and if so......what!
Old 24th June 2006, 11:45 AM

Alio is on a distinguished road
Default 6233 Radio

This may be a daft question.........but can you listen to the 6233 radio without having to plugin the headset leads.....i,e. can you just use the phones speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode