Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews  

Go Back   Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews > Talk3G Handsets and Other Devices > Nokia 3G > Nokia 3G News Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nokia 3G News Articles Please post news articles related to Nokia here. All articles should include a link to the source unless you're writing them yourself.

Old 22nd August 2006, 04:00 PM
T3G Super Mod

3g-g is a glorious beacon of light3g-g is a glorious beacon of light3g-g is a glorious beacon of light3g-g is a glorious beacon of light3g-g is a glorious beacon of light3g-g is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ukboy View Post
Yeah it was originally a Three handset..
Well if it's put the Three SW back onto yours there's no way I'll be attempting to flash my Orange 6680, last think I want is that homscreen back! If it aint broke 'n' all that...
Old 22nd August 2006, 04:55 PM
Regular Poster

bsrjl1 has a spectacular aura aboutbsrjl1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I wonder how the hell the updater knew :\ Curious!
Because the phone has a product code & an original product code, looks like it uses the later to determine which software is needed.
Old 22nd August 2006, 05:40 PM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of light

That's really quite interesting. So are handsets, Nokia's anyway, manufactured for specific networks - rather than all being manufactured the same and then just being flashed and badged as appropriate? Or is the 'original product code' simply something that requires something more powerful to change - like Phoenix?
Old 22nd August 2006, 08:05 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, that banner is getting right on my *t*s I seem to remember someone writing about how to get rid of it, but I just cannot find it anywhere!

That Product Code thingy is right dodgy - say they get it wrong, there is no getting the correct firmware on the handset without resorting to Phoenix.

Now all I want is for Nokia to offer a direct BB5 unlocking service, 3's CS have been as useful as a chocolate fireguard to me in this respect. Actually, I do believe that 3's CS have patented the Chocolate Fireguard recently, that and the Chocolate Teapot and the F*rt in a Spacesuit. Unimpressed! I digress.

Definitely a step in the right direction by Nokia, it will probably save them squillions in manually supporting their handset's firmware upgrades. The installer has to be one of the simplest tools I've seen to date for doing such an upgrade. Press button, sit back and drink tea, use phone with new firmware. Luvly jubbly.
Old 22nd August 2006, 08:17 PM

a_ukboy is on a distinguished road

To get rid of mine when the banners there, i think the left hand soft key says more, click that and there's an option to disable it, Not sure how to put it back though!!!
Old 22nd August 2006, 08:44 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ukboy View Post
To get rid of mine when the banners there, i think the left hand soft key says more, click that and there's an option to disable it, Not sure how to put it back though!!!
Cheers for that - just had a quick look on the 6680 and as you say there it is on the MORE softkey. The sequence I used was; More, Other, Stop Viewer - there is a confirmation screen that says "Are you sure you want to stop Instant Viewer? You may restart the viewer by going to the phone menu and selecting the 3 Viewer icon" And that bit works too! Not that I'll be enabling it anytime soon now.

Its nice to see my own wallpaper back on the handset again.
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:31 AM
Talk3G Super Mod

Exclamation Software Updater - What firmware do I get?

The following extracted from the Nokia website Software Updater FAQ page. Q.24 provides a fairly definitive answer to any question relating to what firmware you will actually receive through the update process.

Quote:
24. Can I update my phone with different software?
No, the type of software cannot be changed. If you have operator-specific software, then the update you receive will be for that same operator software.

Neither update over-the-air or via PC can be used to change the operator's firmware version to the generic Nokia firmware version.

25. Do you keep a record of consumers’ download activities?
Nokia keeps a log of all serial numbers that are updated, but this log does not contain any customer or user data.

The Register have a short article on this also - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08..._firmware_diy/

Last edited by Hands0n : 23rd August 2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:49 AM
T3G Super Mod

3g-g is a glorious beacon of light3g-g is a glorious beacon of light3g-g is a glorious beacon of light3g-g is a glorious beacon of light3g-g is a glorious beacon of light3g-g is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands0n View Post
The Register have a short article on this also - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08..._firmware_diy/
I like the line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Register
Carriers like to stuff phones with usability "improvements" - more often impairments - and other cruft.
Old 23rd August 2006, 01:48 AM
Regular Poster

maxspank will become famous soon enoughmaxspank will become famous soon enough

Wow, I can't believe how easy it is, and the good news is on the latest Orange firmware for the N70 you get the option to switch the orange homescreen off!! I'm so happy!
Old 23rd August 2006, 03:43 AM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of light

You're kidding me? They finally bowed to public pressure?
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:29 AM
Regular Poster

solo12002 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy

Ah

But how good is the site??

I have a N70 unlocked was on o2, the software is :

V.3.0546.2.3
18-11-05
RM-84

Now I know from Ben's site: www.kingmobilephone.com that he has the following software:

V5.0616.

Funny when i tried the nokia site last night to upgrade Im informed that I have the most up to date software?? mmm I wonder!
Old 23rd August 2006, 02:09 PM
Talk3G Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo12002 View Post
Now I know from Ben's site:
Just wanted to mention that whoever this person is, they, or the website, bear no relation to me whatsoever.
Old 23rd August 2006, 05:52 PM
Regular Poster

Sorry Ben.

Good point. the other Ben is the owner of a mobile shop in London.
Old 24th August 2006, 04:38 PM

a_ukboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo12002 View Post
Ah

But how good is the site??

I have a N70 unlocked was on o2, the software is :

V.3.0546.2.3
18-11-05
RM-84

Now I know from Ben's site: www.kingmobilephone.com that he has the following software:

V5.0616.

Funny when i tried the nokia site last night to upgrade Im informed that I have the most up to date software?? mmm I wonder!

That's easy to explain, Kingmobilepones.com has the latest Nokia generic version, where as the Nokia website gives only the operators latest version, so it tells you that you already have the latest o2 N70 software version.
Old 24th August 2006, 07:38 PM
Brand New Moderator

whatleydude is a jewel in the roughwhatleydude is a jewel in the roughwhatleydude is a jewel in the rough

So does it tell you what you should/shouldnt have before it updates?

(am definitely NOT plugging my non-vodafone vodafone phone into it!)
Old 24th August 2006, 09:24 PM
Regular Poster

So does it tell you what you should/shouldnt have before it updates?

Well it was able to tell me I had RM-84 on it. If that helps
Old 24th August 2006, 09:34 PM

teclo is on a distinguished road

An hour later and I still haven't been able to upgrade the rom in my N70. The software if crap. If it detects the phone the the device becomes busy, and it can't continue. If the device isn't busy it finds no updates.

When it did eventually find updates, it tried downloading and then stalled half way through the download and after numerous reboots of both phone and laptop I'm not getting anywhere.

sucks

it really does..
Old 25th August 2006, 05:08 AM
Talk3G Admin

Hmm, mixed experiences I see. I guess having a generic handset I was probably guaranteed one of the smoothest rides. Still, it's early days.
Old 25th August 2006, 09:03 AM

teclo is on a distinguished road

I should say my N70 is through T-Mobile.
Old 25th August 2006, 10:40 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

I know of at least one successful update of an N70 on T-Mobile, improvements were apparent.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode