Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews  

Go Back   Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews > Talk3G Handsets and Other Devices > NEC 3G > NEC News Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NEC News Articles Please post news articles related to NEC here. All articles should include a link to the source unless you're writing them yourself.

View Poll Results: NEC 3G Phones are:
Reliable top-class handsets 2 15.38%
Fairly competent 1 7.69%
Average 3 23.08%
Poor performers 0 0%
Bottom of the range kit 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st April 2005, 01:17 AM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of light
Question NEC 3G Phones

Not a news article I know, but hopefully an interesting topic.

NEC manufacture a range of very good and capable goods. I don't doubt that this influenced their initial partnership with the Three network to produce some of the first handsets we held.

Putting NEC's other businesses aside, how do you now view NEC mobile phones? Please select the category that closest matches your opinion and then comment below.

Remember, this is just your opinion!

Cheers!
Ben

Last edited by Ben : 21st April 2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old 21st April 2005, 04:17 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

I voted "Average" as they are really nothing special. I had the e606 when H3 launched and the network was in its rank infancy. They performed as well as could be expected at the time. Retrieving them out of their box in 4Q2004 gave more encouraging results. Better 3G coverage meant better performance. But still nothing special. They are very s l o w w w w w w in comparison with other makes.

The kid has a e338 and I can't say that I'm altogether impressed with that either. Its small and dinky, and if that is what NEC set out to do then they succeeded. But it is not much more than that - and again, performance is mediocre in comparison with my other [3G] handets (Moto e1000 and LG U8120).

Their history with the e616 (pre 'v' incarnation) is legend - not much more needs be said here. the 'v' version seems to have sorted out the reliability problems according to reports on the forums and elsewhere.

But is the reputational damage done already?
Old 21st April 2005, 05:09 PM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of lightBen is a glorious beacon of light

For me it is, hence my vote for the bottom option, but I'm encouraged that you think of them as at least average.

The slow operating system really is cripplingly slow. As soon as I started using my e606 I knew that it couldn't be a long term solution. Perhaps they should consider licencing an OS from another manufacturer?

I'd be interested to see NEC produce some high-end handsets as it looked like they first wanted to do. A smartphone perhaps, a la e808 but actually smart and not the size of your shed?
Old 21st April 2005, 06:20 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

3GScottishUser is just really nice3GScottishUser is just really nice3GScottishUser is just really nice3GScottishUser is just really nice

I'm only going to add one comment - NEC 3G Phones are a 'Mugs Eyeful'. The Amstrad of the 3G kit. I suspect NEC's UK 3G reputation is now unrepairable. They should return to what they are good at.... component manufacturing.
Old 27th April 2005, 01:54 PM
Loves to Talk3G

Bleubean is a jewel in the roughBleubean is a jewel in the roughBleubean is a jewel in the rough

I think that Three Uk have ruined the mobile reputation of NEC. Putting handsets on rediculously cheap price plans has de-valued NEC handsets! I had one NEC handset, the e228 (because i wanted the ThreePay Sim out of it) and it was TERRIBLE! Not in what it could do, but more in the way of HOW it did things. The user interface is mental! I would say i am quite techincal minded but that phone was a bugger to get used to! I would never be able to use it with my eyes closed!

Overall, i dont think i would ever choose an NEC phone ever again, nor would i recommend one. (unless it was to my worst enemy LOL)
Old 29th April 2005, 06:38 AM

fozzie will become famous soon enough

So have NEC stopped making handsets for 3 ?
Old 8th November 2005, 11:13 AM
New to Talk3G

oranashicola is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
The slow operating system really is cripplingly slow. As soon as I started using my e606 I knew that it couldn't be a long term solution. Perhaps they should consider licencing an OS from another manufacturer?

Given by the fact that NEC is using the Nucleus RTOS from Mentor Graphics, it should be reliable, seeing as Motorola is using the same operating system, even now on it's newest phones (bar the Symbian ones).
Old 8th November 2005, 11:46 AM
Talk3G Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranashicola
Given by the fact that NEC is using the Nucleus RTOS from Mentor Graphics, it should be reliable, seeing as Motorola is using the same operating system, even now on it's newest phones (bar the Symbian ones).
I hate to say this, but Motorola's OS is pretty damn abismal also IMHO. You have to agree though, the operating system on the NEC e606 was horrific, slow and fault-ridden.

Welcome to Talk3G!
Old 13th May 2006, 05:12 PM
New to Talk3G

E616Vboy123 is on a distinguished road

I put fairly competant as my E616V served my needs. I had a half decent camera with video, memory card slot and connected up to the computer. The only real thing it was missing was proper bluetooth which is a shame. Although compared to todays handsets it was big and heavy I always found it comfortably to hold and fairly easy to use. 3 out of 5 I would give it and if you need a cheap 3G handset as your first 3G phone or as a spare you cant go wrong really
Old 11th August 2005, 01:08 PM

3GsINgH will become famous soon enough

NECs are temperamental at best the 606 and 808 were very slow very big and very unstable (software wise) however they were groundbreaking handsets. The 616, well need i say more that phone was a legend. The 313 and 228 were indifferent handsets some worked and worked well- others didnt. The 338 has a number of good points including size and weight but apart from that the specs are unneccessarily rubbish and the casing is very dull. Every NEC handset had faults although my experience with them is that they have not all been bad thats why i have rated them as average. Although i think as many other members do that the damage has been done and we may not see another NEC handset in the uk especially on 3 for a long long time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode