+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Download PvPlayer: Enables Orange World video playback on Nokia 6680/Series 60

• Show Printable Version
    • Email this Page…
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Exclamation Download PvPlayer: Enables Orange World video playback on Nokia 6680/Series 60

PvPlayer Version 03.04.00.253 build 269 is required if you wish to use Orange World video content on an unbranded or SIM-Free Series 60 device like a Nokia 6680.

Orange_PVPlayer_build_269.SIS

Thanks to hartry for making this SIS file, alllowing easy installation and uninstallation on your device, and to dgilbert2 for the original files. The version Orange provided, build 235, caused clips to play with no sound. The resolution of this issue is a fantastic achievement considering the lack of support from the operator.

I have tested this file on my SIM-Free 6680 and am pleased to report it worked perfectly. If you have any issues, questions or comments about this specific download then please post here.

Known issues for build 269:
    The Sky Mobile (third party) application does not function correctly with PvPlayer. (Packet Video are investigating)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Blog Entries

Packet Video/Sky Mobile investigation:
    Packet Video have been in talks with Nokia and made some changes to the code on the Orange 6630 & 6680. They're now hoping to communicate with weComm, the makers of Sky Mobile, to ensure the problem gets properly resolved. I'll keep you posted should any more information come my way.

Jon3G
    Jon3G is offlineTalk3G Senior Contributor Jon3G has a spectacular aura about Jon3G has a spectacular aura about

may be worth letting orange know that a better version is available and working fine

etccarmageddon
    etccarmageddon is offlineNew to Talk3G etccarmageddon is on a distinguished road

Today I had the firmware on my orange N70 put to generic as the NOKIA homescreen is awful but after doing this found I could not view any videos - I've spend the last 2-3 hours searching for a solution believing it to be a fault with real player or internet settings. And then just as I was about to give up and take the phone back to the nokia service point... I find this. It works and greatful is an understatement. THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH.

This really is going to be useful for a lot of people as there are many people out there getting orange homescreen removed.

Blog Entries

Hey, welcome to Talk3G!

I'm really glad you found this useful. I don't believe Orange's Homescreen should be allowed to detract from the experience of excellent handsets like the N70, and if we can empower people to remove operator customisations and still enjoy the Orange portal then that's really something.

Let us know over in the Nokia section how you get on with that N70 of yours!

gnomex
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    gnomex is offlineNew to Talk3G gnomex is on a distinguished road

Hi - new chap here so be gentle and all that....

I have an N70 which I've had flashed with generic firmware. I have downloaded the Orange PVplayer from above as a replacement for that which disappeared during the flashing process. However I find that the pvplayer won't play clips recorded on the 'phone - I receive the error message "pvplayer was unable to open this clip 10000C9".

Whilst Real Player will play these clips it won't recognise video content downloaded from Orange - something that only the pvplayer will do.

Any ideas how I might resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Welcome to Talk3G!

Mhm, I'm guessing the N70 doesn't play ball as nicely as the 6680 does with this copy of PvPlayer.

As a workaround you could have PvPlayer installed on a memory card and Real installed on the handset. Then you'd have to pull the memory card out in order to watch videos taken from the camera in Real and make sure it's in for Orange video's to play.

You might be able to edit the associations to PvPlayer doesn't get launched for certain types of video but I'd have no clue on doing that

gnomex
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

Ta for the welcome.

If I come across an updated version of the Orange pv player I'll let you know.

dbrose
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    dbrose is offlineNew to Talk3G dbrose is on a distinguished road

Where are people getting there phones made generic, I just rang a Car Phone Warehouse and a Private Operator who both said they can;t do it. I really want to get rid of the Orange Homescreen to use Active Standby properly.

Any ideas... I live in the Manchester area.

3g-g is offlineT3G Super Mod 3g-g is a name known to all 3g-g is a name known to all 3g-g is a name known to all 3g-g is a name known to all 3g-g is a name known to all 3g-g is a name known to all
    Blog Entries

Hi dbrose,

Welcome to Talk3G!

I believe most people, myself included, have had the Orange homescreen removed at any Nokia repair centre.

You can locate your nearest one here: http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,77483,00.html

I put it to them, when I went in, that the homescreen was making the handset difficult to use, and as such they repaired it under as a SW defect with no charge to myself!

Let us know how you get on.

G.

dbrose
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

Hi,

I have rang 3 Car Phone Warehouses now and they are all telling me that their flash upgrade automatically chooses the Orange SW. Have Orange released a version of the Firmware that enables you to switch it off yet?

Anyone ideas how I can pursuade Car Phone Warehouse to replace the firmware?

Blog Entries

It might be best to go into CPW in person and explain that the Orange homescreen is causing you problems (think up some, good ones) and that you'd like it repaired with Nokia's standard firmware. Explain that you've spoken to several other people who have had it done under warranty due to similar problems.

CPW may try and charge ~£30 for the service.

AFAIK there is no other way to disable Homescreen other than a complete flash.

gnomex
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

I got mine done at a place called the Excell Phone Palace in Docklands (E14) - which isn't nearly as naff as it sounds! £20.

Meanwhile back on the original topic I've discovered a simple workaround that allows me to use pvPlayer to view downloaded content and Realplayer to view self-recorded video. Basically, instead of opening recorded content in the gallery, I open it in Real Player instead.

So simple that I actually feel a bit stupid for not working it out earlier!

dbrose
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

I have found a CPW to do it but it crashed the phone twice. He has gone away to discuss with other engineers what he might be doing wrong.

Dav
    Dav is offlineNew to Talk3G Dav is on a distinguished road

I just wondered if anybody knew if this will work (or if there is an updated version that will work) on the latest gen of nokia symbian phones such as the N73?

Blog Entries

It's getting on a bit now, I'm guessing Orange have better versions out there. It might work I guess!

+ Reply to Thread