View Poll Results: Where/how do you buy your Phones?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Network: New contract

10 66.67%
  • Network: Upgrade

1 6.67%
  • SIM-Free (never locked)

2 13.33%
  • eBay or similar: New or Used

2 13.33%
  • Employer-provided

0 0%
  • Swap/hand-down from family/friends

0 0%

Thread: Where do you buy your phones?

Blog Entries

Question Where do you buy your phones?

Where do you get your phones from?

Perhaps you buy them SIM-Free? Perhaps you get them from your network? Maybe you get them off eBay or other such sites?

Please vote for the option that most describes how you get your new phones, and describe why below.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Well, my vote has gone on SIM-Free (never locked). I do like to source phones with the manufacturer firmware installed and preferably before they are released by a network. That way they're branding free and the networks haven't had a chance to make the phone even more buggy.

I don't always do this, of course. When I'm due an actual upgrade I tend to make use of it.

Jon3G
    Jon3G is offlineTalk3G Senior Contributor

I always go the Network direct, dont like Phones 4 u and want to get great support and you should get this from the network direct.

Been with Voda and Orange direct and never been let down

Blog Entries

I've always used Network up until the advent of Three, so I polled "Network: New Contract". My first try at Three was 3ToGo via The Link. Subsequently eBay for some USIMs and finally a local small dealer for a contract. I still go to the "Network" for my 2.5G handset/upgrade. Hate all the dealer chains, wont' use them on principle! If I want pain I'll go to Comeit.

BrouZe
    BrouZe is offlineNew to Talk3G

I have bought all my 3g phones from a couple of online shops like www.mobiles.co.uk and the last 2 came from onestopphoneshop.
    2 things to note of interest. Firstly, onestopphoneshop used to have a terrible reputation and yet I have not had a moments trouble with them.
    Took my last phone out with them on the T/T 600 package and everything they promised would happen did. The half price line rental for 3 months from the network and so far 2 cashback payments, all delivered as promised.
    Secondly, in all the time I have had a 3g phone(bought online), anytime I have had a problem with the phone I have taken it to a 3 shop and either got it repaired or replaced, notwithstanding the fact that I bought the phone online from someone other than 3 themselves.

ps. I have to say that the E1000 phone I have found to be the most reliable on 3, no dropped calls, reasonable battery life, a great sound and ok ok a so so camera(hell one cant have everything, can they? well can they?!)

Onestopphoneshop has been bought by CPW. They also own e2save and have deals with other sites.

Do you like how we dont ***** stuff out here..... no commercial interests to protect!

BrouZe

Hey, didnt know that about the onestopphoneshop, probably why their performance has improved though to be fair, I think I bough my A925 from them and they hadnt been bought out yet.

As for the **** of competing urls, as I pointed out in another post here, that practice has now been relaxed. You are allowed to post one instance in a post, in the correct area of the forum and it will not be censored at all.
    I have no axe to grind with you 3GSU, the more info and places for people to get their questions answered, the better as far as I'm concerned and if you think back to 3gnewsroom days, I was always fair then and didnt agree with the flaming even though I sometimes disagreed with you, there was a mutual respect. The 'other' forum as its called here has been cleaned up a hell of a lot since the days of ******** (ID of known flamer removed by 3GSU) et. al. and if you browse there now there are no flame posts allowed there either. With 8 mods, 2 Supermods and the Admin, a clear forum Code of Conduct(thoughtfully though rigidly enforced), the forum is not the same place you had cause to feel the way you did(still do?) about. Let us all coexist for the enlightenment of the people who need it most, the owners and enthusiasts of 3G technology!
    Last edited by 3GScottishUser; 12th May 2005 at 07:34 PM.

Sure they can do what they please, I wont be providing any contributions though. They lost some excellent contributers through sheer mis-management thinking that flamebait and personal feuds attract interest. Most likely they wanted lots of hits and that sort of stuff gave them a result of sorts.

There are better things to read than folks persistantly bitching at each other and one benefit that has arisen from the shenanigans elsewhere has been the establishment of this new facility with no commercial interest to affect its mission.

We are happy that a growing number appear to be posting and it looks like the core members here are contributing plenty and appear to be 100% supportive of our efforts.

Now back to where do you buy your phones!!!

BrouZe

Point taken, though your knowledge of 3g issues is a loss to that wider audience.
    You have a nice place here, keep the faith!

Now back to where the 3g phones are purchased!

getti is offlinetodayon3g.co.uk
    Blog Entries

I get mine direct from either an Orange Retail shop or Orange.co.uk Most of the phones seem to be free from them and I would much rather deal with the proper network sales team.

bsrjl1
    bsrjl1 is offlineRegular Poster

Usually get mine from one of the web stores, then introduce it to Phoenix & the generic flash. Works out cheaper than buying SIM-free. Don't need to unlock the 6680 from 3, but it would be nice. Grrr!

Jon3G
    Jon3G is offlineTalk3G Senior Contributor

QuoteOriginally Posted by bsrjl1
    Usually get mine from one of the web stores, then introduce it to Phoenix & the generic flash. Works out cheaper than buying SIM-free. Don't need to unlock the 6680 from 3, but it would be nice. Grrr!

I dont have enough trust in independants online yet. But maybe if someone could give me good dealer then I would consider it

hecatae is offlineTalk3G Senior Contributor
    Blog Entries

voted, sorry it's a bit late

Blog Entries

Perhaps this would look a little different if run again now

Amazon and eBay is what i prefer.