Well, I guess it was inevitable, but I finally bought myself the Wireless-G Router for Vodafone 3G/UMTS Broadband. After all, it's made by Linksys, so how could I resist?

Opening up the box was a little scary... the router was covered in tape sternly instructing me to use the included (Windows only) CD before attempting to use the router. Well, blow that I though, and hooked it up anyway. Surprise surprise the web interface was immediately available on 192.168.1.1 and the CD landed in a heap of junk at the same time

Now, my Vodafone card is the HSDPA one from Huwuaaiai1i1iia (Huawei). Given that the router is from a time where only the 3G Connect datacard from Option existed I wasn't optimistic (or should that be Optionistic) about the chances of it working. I inserted the card with the router turned on and, indeed, nothing happened for a little while. I switched the power off and back on again and much to my delight everything connected and away I went - without so much as a firmware update which is quite an achievement for Linksys.

There's really nothing more to say. It just works and now I have a network capable of speeds of up to 1.8mbps (I can't verify this, no HSDPA here yet) that I can fit in my bag! The router includes QoS and doles out IP's and DNS settings via the integrated DHCP server. There's a setting to keep the connection alive or drop it when idle, and an Internet port should you wish to also make use of a cabled connection when it's a available.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3193