T-Mobile's approach to data is a very healthy one for all concerned. They are getting a known amount of income, and the punter is getting a fair crack of the whip. Now that is what I call Sensible Trading.

Sorry to read about the staggering bill for £224 being run up by using x-series as a modem. As is said above, how many others will not even know about this until the first bill arrives? There will be much more bad feeling generated at 3 about this, and it is a shame really.

It is simply not good enough to refer the Customer to the T&Cs - who ever reads these anyway (apart from me!!!)? There should be a very clear and concise headline usage policy supplied to each x-series Customer outlining what they can and cannot do in Plain English. Anything less is exploitation of the Customer base.

That said, I much prefer T-Mobile's Web N Walk "do what you like" approach, and it is fairly clear what you are not allowed to do without having to trawl through reams of T&Cs.

I do hope that 3 fulfil the expectation set by their CS to you, but somehow I very much doubt it. You'll be obliged to pay the outstanding amount or, as Ben says, 3 will trash your credit reputation without blinking an eye. Then you'll have a bit of a fight on your hands to find a sympathetic ear that is empowered to actually remedy your problem.