QuoteOriginally Posted by Hands0n View Post
Its here, and its a bit baaaaad.

Nokia have released firmware update 30.0.015 for the Nokia N95-1 (thats the Classic to you and me) and it is available for installing via Nokia Software Updater (NSU) for many product codes. But it will not yet be out for some of the heavily branded prod codes (i.e. Orange perhaps, or Vodafone). NSU will tell you, so there is no risk in that sense.

The usual disclaimers apply. N95 handsets have a bit of a habit of bricking themselves under NSU - it happened to me with a Voda N95 some time back. But if yours is less than 2 years old it is on Nokia warranty - only you might not want to say that you've been using NSU, just in case.

I did the NSU update using my Mac with Parallels running Windows XP in its VM. For some reason it did not like the NSU - some interaction with the USB seemed to cause it a bit of grief. But a few reboots of the VM later got it sorted out. The entire NSU update took about 13 mins to complete.

Make sure that you do a full backup using Nokia PC Suite. After the NSU update you can then use Nokia PC Suite to restore all the files, contacts and settings - the new version is clever enough not to try and reload the "device specific settings" that used to screw up (brick) the handset in the past. Nokia finally understanding that you cannot restore such settings after a new set of firmware - Doh!

Details of what is in 3.0.015 are well covered in this blog here --> http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...te-at-nsc.html and a Google search for "N95 30.0.015" will bring you a shed-load of articles too.

The Auto-Rotate is a bit funky - I didn't know that the N95 had a motion sensor in it. Its not quite as slick as the iPhone's but it does work - just be patient, it will catch up with you

The new firmware is a breath of fresh air to the N95, quite reinvigorating for it. I can highly recommend this update (subject to the caveats and disclaimers). Just be careful to follow the Nokia procedure to the letter.
Pfffft dude I know my posts tend to be mostly drivel and iPhone bating, but I'm pretty sure I mentioned on CBF about the N95 having an accelerometer. I've been using apps for a while that rotate the screen, but its much nicer having it built into the OS, especially as the 3rd party apps tended not to be very battery friendly.

I'd recommend getting Marble Maze for your N95, its exactly what it says on the tin except it uses the accelerometer, and its strangely addictive lol.