I have recently bought another Netbook, this time the Samsung NC10 from Amazon at £289.97. My reasons for buying another was to get myself something suitable to run Linux (Ubuntu as it ends up) as I need something for work that is neither Windows or OS X. Rather than carry around a full sized laptop the NC10 is the perfect substitute.

For me, being a trained touch typist, keyboard size and design is essential. My other Netbook, an Advent 4213, is a superb piece of kit with its built-in 3G/HSPA support but the keyboard is a dog. I use it, but I don't really get on with it that well. Typos abound.

The NC10, on the other hand, has a 91% size keyboard that sits perfectly under my hands. Touch typing is not a problem, and I am able to maintain reasonably close to my general typing speed.

In all other respects the NC10 is like any other current Atom-powered Netbook. It comes with 1GB of RAM, a 160GB HDD, 10" TFT display and Windows XP Home.

The first to go was XP - I reformatted the HDD and plopped Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) which took all of ten minutes. Out of the box, Ubuntu 9.04 works on the NC10 with only two known bugs - one being its power and WLAN management when using Hibernate, and which I can well live without.

The most notable item in the NC10's armoury is its 6-cell Li-ion battery that gives upwards of six (6) hours run time. I have seen well across four hours, approaching five before I've chickened out and put it back on charge. And this, remember, is on Ubuntu Linux not Windows XP for which this machine is specified.

If you are looking for a well specified Netbook with one of the longest run times between charge then I can highly recommend the Samsung NC10.

This Netbook is being superceded by a newer model from Samsung so expect to find some bargain prices out there.