Well here is some interesting news. Android 2.2, codenamed Froyo, is on its way and likely to appear first on the Google Nexus One, which is to all intents and purposes Google's reference Android handset.

Isn’t that little weird? The people over at AndroidPolice got their hands on the Nexus One with Android 2.2 aka Froyo. AndroidPolice are saying that the Nexus One is running 450% faster on Froyo, you gotta be kidding me. We already know that the Nexus One is the fastest Android Device. With the power of Froyo, Nexus One can turn from smartphone to “super” phone.

We saw Flash 1o.1 running on Nexus One with 2.2, and the question that came out is what’s the problem with 2.1? Why doesn’t 2.1 come with Flash? The reason is that 2.1 is heavier then 2.2 and uses a lot of memory, but 2.2 is lighter and it save enough memory that it can run Flash easily. Another thing about the Nexus One, it’s running 2.1 without JIT and gets about 6.5-7 MFLOPS. The same device running 2.2 with JIT enabled gets a whopping 37.5 MFLOPS. Damn! This is way better.

Source: http://www.androidspin.com/2010/05/1...n-android-2-2/
Seriously, if they can really get the Nexus One running 450% faster than the stock Android 2.1-update1 handset then this will be a major increase in performance. The Nexus One will become the fastest Android handset in existence and even outstrip the iPhone 3GS in terms of raw speed.

Even sporting its original 2.1-update1 version of Android the Google Nexus One outstrips the iPhone 3GS in terms of speed and performance. So I am trying to imagine the Nexus One running 4.5 times faster! That will be impressive beyond belief.

Due out this year, Froyo (Android 2.2) is set to be an impressive and amazing update to the Android OS. Being an owner of a Google Nexus One I really can hardly wait