Err, 7.2Mbps from Vodafone was HSPDA which was later followed by an update to HSUPA to improve the uplink. Vodafone have yet to deploy HSPA+ in the UK (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSPA%2B#Deployment ) but have done so in other countries.

Three have been the first UK carrier to deploy HSPA+ and O2 are doing so during 2011, updating its 14.4Mbps HSPA network. None of the other carriers have made any intentions known, so one can consider that in terms of investment as being sub-par.

O2's trials of LTE are irrelevant - if they repeat their performance with 3G then we can expect a comprehensive LTE deployment by O2 some time in 2017, unless OFCOM give them yet another regulatory shove in the right direction. O2 seem to have more investment going into the big tent on the Greenwich Peninsula than it does into [what should be its core business of] mobile networking.

Three's commitment to mobile data in the UK is entirely evident. Just because it is not available in certain areas does not mark its corporate strategy to be the one to beat in terms of mobile data. And so far it is putting on a very good demonstration of how to do it that the others are finding hard to follow. The closest is its MBNL partner T-Mobile.

To suggest, however, that Three ruined the reputation of 3G is a rather specious. They led the 3G advance party, one that O2 are only just getting up to speed with. The other networks took their own sweet time with 3G, having bought licences they did little with them for several years while Three had to battle to get masts established and fight off the uniquely British NIMBYism that prevails. But despite all of that, they rolled out 3G and it was good where it was. The rest is history, and we now find Three with a very comprehensive set of national cover to rival the others. Spectrum aside, on a like for like basis, that is 2100MHz UMTS, Three are doing the job, and doing it rather well.

QuoteOriginally Posted by 3GScottishUser
Sorry but I don't anticipate any mass demand or migration to 3's services in the next few years.
It is probably as well that you're not betting the eating of your hat as I do believe that I might need to ask you what condiments you would like with it.