Time for a revolution methinks.

We have all been led, and misled, by the UK mobile network operator's coverage maps. There is some truth to them, but I'm sure we've all been sitting in a radio black hole wondering why our fave network operator thinks that we should be neck deep in glowing 3G. Frustrating as hell, isn't it?

So what can we ordinary people do about it? Well, not a lot really, except that perhaps we can establish our own coverage maps with some factual data. That is, data that comes direct from consumer's own devices and that are probably much more representative than the maps that any operator can put out.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce to you Cellumap. A public initiative that has the potential to "name and shame". Or at the very least, it could give a completely arbitrary non-partisan view of the various signal quality around the country.

Currently available for Symbian, BlackBerry and Android devices the app works by taking a reading and then uploading it to a central website where the results can be viewed against a Google map of the area.

Here is what the chaps at Cellumap have to say about their service in their About section.

Cellumap is a revolution in cellular coverage maps, in that the coverage maps here are not created by the network operators, but rather by the users of the network (ie: you!). The coverage maps that are given publicly by the network operators are usually very high-level (ie: not very detailed, no signal strength info) and become quickly out-of-date as the network changes almost daily. Cellumap allows people to plot accurate points (using GPS) and with actual recorded signal strength (and other information) in real-time! Your privacy is also guaranteed, as there is no phone number or account info ever recorded or displayed.

The Cellumap phone app can be used on Android, BlackBerry and Symbian phones that are GPS enabled.
The application and maps are all FREE. Just download it and start. No registration required.
I have it loaded on my Dell Streak on the Three network. At home I'm currently getting -55dBm sitting in the front room