QuoteOriginally Posted by Hands0n View Post
Ah, I mislead you perhaps. I have had a few of the Symbian S60 stuff, I've previously used a fair few, to include the 6680 which was a bit of a classic in its day - possibly the best before the N95. Somewhere along the line I had a flirtation with the Motorola A1000 (I think) which was the first PDA-style touchscreen UIQ device and fired up my interest in what was to come when the iPhone arrived. But it wasn't exactly great. In fact it was a bit rubbish, even for UIQ. I was getting on better with my HP iPAQ though - the apps in the WinMo stable were better for me as they were at that time.

The first versions of Symbian on the N95 were plagued with problems. It was only when, iirc, v12 arrived that Nokia started to get things right.

But moving away from Symbian was a refreshing experience for me. The re-visit with the N8 was not an inspiring experience, I can tell you. Fair enough, this is the first released iteration of Symbian^3 and it can only get better, can't it?

I was never a fan of the 6680 I preferred the more rugged and manly 6630 with its giant fisheye camera lens and superior performance. My mate had some sort of Motorola UIQ phone, I forget the model number but it was pretty terrible too, I think thats pretty standard for UIQ though. I own an old i-mate running WinMo, if I was forced to use it as a main phone I'd probably tether it to a brick and go hunting for deep water, probably didn't help I'd flashed an OS version onto it that was beyond the hardware.

I personally didn't experience many problems with the first few firmware releases for N95, but I know others did, its always been the way with Nokia. I would expect the N8 to follow a similar trend, they are still managing to push out updates for the 5800 that improve performance and add features, so the N8 should have plenty of scope.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Hands0n View Post
Simple really - Nokia may well claim to sell a gazillion smartphones but there would be a lot more credibility attached to the claim if Nokia were to be transparent and supply a breakdown of how many of each model it sold in a given period. That the as simple a transparency as would be necessary. But unless you know where such transparency exists and can provide the detail I will have to go by what I see, and that is Nokia's lack of transparency around their figures. Put the money one the table.

That, I contend, is in no way moving goalposts.

Are other platforms providing a breakdown of how many of each model has been sold? When Nokia say they have sold xx amount of smartphones, that means they have sold xx amount of phones running Symbian or Maemo/MeeGo it really couldn't be any more transparent. Even if they did provide such a breakdown I feel you would only look for another direction to move the goalposts, so I contend that you are simply moving the goalposts. If you can provide a breakdown of all the other companies phone sales per model, then I will accept that this isn't the case.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Ben View Post
The Register continues its look at why Symbian has fallen on harder times: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11...opers_mailbag/
You know something is a bit fishy when the first line mentions Apple.