QuoteOriginally Posted by miffed View Post
I think this move shows a divide between who is REALLY Pro Nokia , and who is simply Anti- anything better !
Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, technology has become [always has been?] heavily populated with over-zealous enthusiasts who hold an almost holy allegiance to the make or brand of their choice. And for these there can be no word heard that is not entirely complimentary about their chosen idol. Nokia has its fare share of suchlike.

I believe that, as an enthusiast, it is our role to also take the hard look also. To try and look at things objectively, rather than subjectively, in terms of what we believe to be the right thing to do or not. Even if that view is highly critical of Nokia. And fortunately for Nokia they, too, have taken a similar line of thinking. By taking such radical steps as removing old die-hard long-standing executive and senior management and bringing in radically different thinking Nokia have shown that they are quite prepared to take the hard decisions. This is a good sign, but the end result depends entirely upon their ability to execute the new plans.

It appears, then, that Nokia itself has judged Symbian as not being a relevant OS with which to compete against the likes of iOS and Android. Interesting that Nokia have a stated intent to apply WP7 across a broad range of Nokia device, to include so-called low-end devices. If executed in fact it would spell the complete end of Symbian on Nokia devices. What would be the point of persisting? Instead, Nokia intend to franchise Symbian. My only question would be "To who?".

So, can Nokia and Microsoft create a global alliance to take on the two big hitters on high-end smartphones? And can they apply their technology to low-end devices also, as we are seeing Android do (mostly from China and India). Even Apple are [rumoured to be] talking about bringing out a $200 iPhone so, if true, that would also be a reflection of the pressure that they'll be feeling to compete - no one is immune from the effects of the market!

I've got a few bob put aside for a new Nokia WP7 device. So I'm waiting with some anticipation.