Thread: Nintendo 3DS

Blog Entries

Default Nintendo 3DS

What's everyone thinking of the 3DS then?

I'm amazed by the 3D to be honest! It's a lot of fun, and amazing to see it without needing glasses. Yes the viewing angles are a bit funny, and if you get over-excited it's easy to move the thing around and lose the effect, but damn it's a lot of fun.

The 3D camera is a total novelty. Some of the pictures are brilliant, but it's so frustrating not being able to do a lot with them! The included augmented-reality feature (where characters pop up from the included picture cards) is also a great novelty. I hope developers run with these features.

Played Ridge Racers and Street Fighter so far, multiplayer. Enjoyed both!

Blog Entries

I am not a game-player and so the 3DS has passed me by completely.

For what its worth, I really have my own doubt about this glassless technology. I think that anything that constrains viewing angles as much as the technology (not only in the 3DS) has got to be a bad idea in terms of health. Tales already of people suffering from various conditions, from eye strain to headaches. I recall the talk given by the chap who pioneered 3D for Sky, where he said that the whole 3D thing has to be done very carefully so as not to overload the brain or headaches and stress would occur. The filming has to be done with that in mind. I wonder, then, if the 3DS game writers will have the same considerations.

Sorry to sound negative. I'm just not convinced at 3D in this particular format.

hecatae
    hecatae is offlineTalk3G Senior Contributor
    Blog Entries

3d films do not work on my wife, the images are just a blur, so I'll be skipping the entire 3D fad as it has no value to me

Blog Entries

Interesting, is there a particular condition that causes that?

I think 3D has legs long term but it's definitely in its infancy right now. The 3DS is surprisingly polished, though.

Blog Entries

3D is not perceived by some people, it is not an eye matter but more to do with how the brain resolves the stereoscopic image being presented to it. The brain is tricked into believing it is seeing 3D when in fact it really isn't. Some brains work it out and do not resolve, or perhaps like Hecatae's wife the brain has trouble working it out and so makes stuff up - the blurry image. Yet others overload quickly and suffer intense discomfort, headaches, nausea, anxiety even!

This 3D stuff is amazingly complex and the human condition is directly linked. It has a way to go yet to perfection, 3D TV is about where 625 lines replacing 405 lines were back in the 1960s. It is very very new. For the vast majority of people 3D appears to work just fine. But there appear to be significant numbers for who the technology, as it is today, is wholly unsuitable.

AgnesHill
    AgnesHill is offlineBanned

I would like to by the Nintendo 3ds for my little sisters, but I am worried about the 3D graphics hurting their eyes. Do you have to play the 3D games in 3D mode all the time or can you shut it off?
    Will the games look strange when not in 3D mode or will they just look like the original DS games in 2D?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Ben; 26th April 2012 at 06:58 PM.

Blog Entries

You can shut it off, or even adjust the depth of the 3D effect. It doesn't really make any difference to most games playing them in 2D mode to be honest.