I have always wanted to get my hands on a Palm Pre but was put off by the bad press, the O2 exclusivity (having been 'network-burned' by iPhone on O2) and the stupid price of a SIM-free, knocking on for £500. For a device that did not seem to be that well built, according to what I've read on the Interwebs, and a bit niche in comparison to iOS and Android devices it just didn't seem worth it.

HP, having acquired Palm, have not taken too long to sort out some WebOS product and have brought to the table the Pre 3 that is due out in the UK some time this Summer. SIM-free, early adopter, price is around £499 according to Google Shopping. I'm not having any of that for such a new device. It will have to come down to around the typical price for an Android smartphone to interest me.

But the old Pre 2 (avoid the Pre and the Pre Plus which are dreadfully slow) is being seen in Google Shopping from £150.13 from LambdaTek http://www.lambda-tek.com/components...s=y#productTop although still at silly £300+ prices from other suppliers). Even on eBay these are going for very much more!

So, having sold an old BlackBerry and having a nice balance in my PayPal account burning a hole in my pocket it seems an irresistible buy to gain some WebOS experience ahead of the new HP product.

Buy now or wait? It seems like a no brainer.