• Show Printable Version
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Linear Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Exclamation BBC to survey UK mobile coverage

The BBC is conducting a major survey into the state of mobile phone coverage in the UK.

Over the course of the next month, the project will attempt to chart the availability of 3G and 2G services up and down the country.

Mobile operators offer their own coverage maps but no independent survey has yet been carried out.

Measurements will be made using an app developed by network analysis firm Epitiro.

The software can be downloaded by anyone with an Android handset and will record street level coverage across Britain.

At the end of the test period, the BBC aims to display the results on a clickable map.

"Coverage is the number one issue for consumers," said Gavin Johns, chief executive of Epitiro.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13874818
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Blog Entries

May finally force OFCOM to act?

Lets face it, we need a standardised way of recording and presenting coverage information to consumers. This national survey should be very telling. I encourage all of you Android users to take part! I think I'll have to put my Vodafone data SIM into the Nexus One and start carrying that with me... Vodafone definitely need a wakeup call in my neck of the woods!

3GScottishUser is offlineTalk3G Super Mod

It will be interesting to see what the BBC results are. In Scotland Vodafone have faster data in most urban areas with HSPA+ now rolling out along with 900Mhz refarming.

I have not heard many complaints about any of the mobile networks data availability in Glasgow lately despite the massive uptake of smartphones. The networks must have been investing to cater for the new levels of demand from customers.

Blog Entries

Wish we were seeing 900MHz 3G in Canterbury! I've not noticed any improvement. How can you tell they've started to deploy?

gorilla
    gorilla is offline@iChrisTaylor

I've installed the app. It seems pretty basic, so really shouldn't be that intrusive. Despite the comments on the BBC article, I'm happy to participate.

Blog Entries

Excellent ! I am guessing the real world results will be VERY different from generally held beliefs - My guess is that o2 will fare better than most imagined , and Vodafone will be unmasked as the idiot of the class.

....And then (hopefully) the finger will get pointed squarely at OFCOM , with the question "Erm , how com you haven't been keeping an eye on this sort of thing ?" being asked

It's all good , I am just a bit gutted that my Vodafone SIM is now disconnected , otherwise I'd have put it in one of my Android phones and carried it around to help expose their shame.