Okay, Lumia, I'm having great trouble getting my head around that. It sounds so much like Consignia, that has returned to being The Post Office. It doesn't actually say anything about the new Nokia WP7 smartphone, but it does distract. All the while I'm reading about the spec and the new Mango WP7 I keep hearing in my head "Lumia .... Lumia .... Lumia", leaving me unable to focus on what I'm reading.

So what are we to make of the new Nokia then? Everyone is raving about it, everyone who was a raving Nokia Nutter back in the day when Symbian was the greatest thing since the greatest thing. Only it really wasn't. Think The Emperor's New Clothes and you'd be more than half right, Symbian sucked.

I sampled WP7 in its first outing, using a Samsung Omnia 7 loaned to me by Three. The hardware was gorgeous but I really did find too much "wrong" with the WP7 OS, there is an article elsewhere on Talk3G about that. But I have not sampled the new WP7 Mango OS, and am told by those who have that it is very good indeed. These are folk I know and trust and so their opinion is to be respected.

The new Lumia 800 has caught my attention, not least because it is something of a hardware lift of the N9 as was and now is not. That looked rather fetching. I will certainly be trying to get my mitts on one to evaluate. But would I actually buy one to use as a main or secondary smartphone? I think the answer right now is a very firm "No". There is too much going on in my smartphone life around iOS and Android. I do not need, nor want, a third (fourth actually if you count my WebOS Palm Pre Plus).

So who is the likely customer for the new Nokia WP7 devices? I think obviously it will be the Nokia die hards who have been waiting for the new generation Nokia device, no matter what it is. Then there will be those who find the new smartphone attractive and appealing, and there could be lots of those. But I do think that the success, or otherwise, will depend on how much investment Nokia, Microsoft and even the mobile networks themselves put into promoting the new Lumia range. We all saw how the public stayed away in droves from the first outing of WP7. That same public will likely do the same this time too if they cannot be persuaded that the Lumia is the basis for their future survival.

It really is interesting. Apple have literally advertised the nuts off the iPhone to get it into the world's psyche where it resides very comfortably these days. Android has had to do virtually nothing except be available at extraordinarily keen prices and be as ubiquitously accessible on all of the world's networks. But Nokia/Microsoft have amply demonstrated that simply bringing out a new OS/smartphone and poking some rather oddly constructed media advertisements is not enough to secure success.