Just installed the developers pre-release version on a brand new self build PC today and connected it to an Acer 23" touch screen monitor via HDMI.

Windows 7 has been a rip roaring success and has firmly regained ground and credibility for Microsoft in the PC OS market. It has been very stable and the only moans about it have been about it's lack of new features. It is after all very similar to Windows Vista.

Windows 8 looks like being everything 7 was in terms of ease of installation and set up but with some very new innovation that will take a while for most folks to get used to!

The set-up is almost automatic with just langauge and time zone needed as a manual input. Then it's all change as the log-in screen becomes a big picture (chosen from a gallery at set-up) and when you log in what you are presented with is a tiled screen not unlike that on the Windows Mobile 7.5 phone. This is the Start screen and you can touch the tiles to go to anything you like including the traditional desktop or Windows Explorer. The tiles themselves are shortcuts to 'apps' which can be links to pc programs, websites, games or your Facebook updates etc.

I have not done a lot yet but so far I'm impressed and so have those who have viewed it and had a quick play around.

Microsoft have always had a certain style but Windows 8 and their Mobile OS now are very much more user friendly and have more than style, they have charictar and personality. After just a short time one gets a feel for the interface and you can appreciate the effort that has gone into making this version of Windows a bit more than just a functional utility.

Playing around today I could imagine folks being influenced to take up a Windows mobile device after experiencing a similar interface using Windows 8. Despite the introduction of lots of new technology the PC is far from dead and Microsoft might win lots of new mobile device customers when they upgrade their laptops and desktops to Windows 8. I think they might gain a few converts thanks to the simplicity of the design and it's ease of use with lots of information on the start screen which is constantly updated. That is a pretty compelling experience once you see it in action. The big problem might end up how to tear yourself from it and get on with your real life!

The beta program is available for download free from MSDN but I would not recommend replacing your primary OS with it as it's still in test mode, although it's fully functional. Good to try on a spare PC with the required spec perhaps as a secondary OS.

After just a short while with Windows 8 I think most may be quite surprised that what they experience is from Microsoft.

"I have seen the future and it computes".