I came across an extraordinarily well written and presented article on the Interwebs today published on The Verge website: http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/7/25...ndroid-history

Having been involved with Android from the times of the T-Mobile G, much of what is presented in the article resonated. I seem to have had pretty much all of the "flagship" smartphones in the article with the exception of the Motorola Milestone. That is one smartphone that I wanted, but for some reason didn't acquire.

Android is now firmly entrenched and is only going to develop wider and deeper. It is very well supported by the various manufacturers. ICS, Android version 4.0, will prove very successful as it literally breathes new life into older handsets but also allows manufacturers and developers to push their capabilities even further.

The article is a good read that I can recommend to anyone remotely interested in the subject. Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, find a quiet corner of the house and settle down for 10 minutes of fascinating reading.