QuoteOriginally Posted by Hands0n View Post
I think that a significant issue with Flash is that it is all too easy to create media that consumes horrendous CPU cycles and thus battery consumption.

A good example would be the Sky logo on the sky.com website (top left corner). It is a small animated bit of Flash that consumes upwards of 25% CPU using any browser and OS you like. It also grabs 600MB of RAM for Shockwave Flash to operate in.

I don't allow Flash on my smartphone anymore, it used to see my Google Nexus S with Gingerbread require a charge less than halfway through a day. Removing Flash I was able to achieve more than a full day of use.
I went to sky.com and it had literally no impact on my CPU, I think one of the cores registered about 2-3% for about a second or so, also it only took about 60MB. The moral of the story here is that my computer > Flash and it is also > Sky.

Flash has been a ropey old dog from the outset on mobile platforms, the issue for me isn't so much about battery hit, its the actual performance of Flash thats the problem. Adobe seemed unable to scale Flash effectively to work on the hardware at hand, meaning the user experience was generally horrible. Sadly Adboe are a company who have made a business out of offering people a bad user experience.