Thread: Ofcom updates 4G auction proposals

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

QuoteOriginally Posted by gorilla View Post
    What is happening to 2G (GSM?) when we finally get 4G?
    I think there'll be thin GSM coverage around for some time yet. I'm not sure how it works technically, but I think it can hang on even with WCDMA slowly encroaching on its territory.

hecatae
    hecatae is offlineTalk3G Senior Contributor
    Blog Entries

so would we see 2G + 3G + 4G sim cards or do you think we will see 3G + 4G only sim cards?

Blog Entries

I predict that SIMs will allow access to all technologies, and that support will instead depend on handset for the time being. That's only a personal prediction, though.

I think there's the potential to see networks granting LTE-only access on consumer tariffs once coverage is sufficient. But most if not all GSM networks in the UK will need to maintain GSM capabilities for some time yet if only to support deployed M2M solutions (things like chip-and-pin machines are still being sold on 2G now), so I'm not sure they'll be fussed about it.

I'm not sure what the issue was when 3G launched. Part of it seemed to be about supplying more capable SIM cards (perhaps there were security implications), but part of it also seemed to be about restricting access to the new network, trying to retain some level of control initially until all the kinks were worked out.