Talk3G Mobile Phone Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews  

Go Back   Talk3G Mobile Phone Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews > Talk3G UK Mobile Networks > Three UK - 3G Handset and Mobile Broadband Services > Three UK News Articles

Three UK News Articles Please post news articles related to Three UK here. All articles should include a link to the source unless you're writing them yourself.

Old 25th June 2009, 10:53 PM
Regular Poster

mob453 will become famous soon enough
DefaultNokia's N97 coming to 3 with free Skype calling - prepay too!

Quote:
It will be free of charge on a £35-a-month contract or £320 on prepay - a price that is signficantly cheaper than the SIM-free price of £499 on the Nokia website. Of course, the handset is locked - but 3 is hoping you'll be happy with its network.
http://www.whatmobile.net/News/gener...repay_too.html

I might need to ditch the credit cards tomorrow, that price is
Old 25th June 2009, 11:20 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

Hmmmm, lets see now .... £320 for an N97 locked to 3 or £499 for a SIM-free .... tough choice that .... or is it?

Its a no brainer really .... option 2 for me
Old 26th June 2009, 01:08 AM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

I'd take it SIM-Free, too. But if the Skype calling is your thing then I suppose it's quite a deal!
Old 26th June 2009, 07:14 AM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

Yea but ... imagine that ... something like an N97 permanently tied to 3

The moment something goes wrong you've a £320 paperweight.

I suppose it all depends on how lucky you feel.
Old 26th June 2009, 10:37 AM
Not a slave to Spec

miffed is a jewel in the roughmiffed is a jewel in the roughmiffed is a jewel in the roughmiffed is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob453 View Post
http://www.whatmobile.net/News/gener...repay_too.html

I might need to ditch the credit cards tomorrow, that price is
\

......That price is ? ..... Desperate ?
Old 26th June 2009, 11:21 AM
Regular Poster

mob453 will become famous soon enough

yup it is desperate, cant see the benefit of the N97, the touchscreen is EPOC, Ericsson R380, Nokia N97, same principle just in colour
Old 26th June 2009, 05:16 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

A friend of mine has just got his N97, despite my warnings, on Vodafone. I am just not convinced that Nokia have the mindset to produce the Apple/HTC touchscreen killer phone. That they've near-on ripped off the design of the HTC Touch Pro 2 says it all for me.

I speculate that buyers are going to find out that the N97 is going to end up like the N95, an unfulfilled dream. Tons of potential, big upsell, but little in the way of a device that can be used to its maximum.

But then I'm only able to compare the Symbian-based N97 experience against that of the two latest mobile handset platforms (OS X and Google Android) as a way forward.
Old 26th June 2009, 05:48 PM
Not a slave to Spec

miffed is a jewel in the roughmiffed is a jewel in the roughmiffed is a jewel in the roughmiffed is a jewel in the rough

But there is one striking difference between the Touch Pro II and the N97 - The keyboard !!

The Touch Pro has the arguably the BEST keyboard on a mobile device , while the N97's is arguably the WORST !!
There is a Head to head on Steve Litchfield's the phones show , which shows you this in detail , it is quite funny because Steve goes through the devices, with the Touch beating the N97 on virtually every point ..... and then
concludes that ........ Well , it's Steve Litchfield , you KNOW which device he is going to declare the better
Old 26th June 2009, 08:23 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Thats why I never bother with Steve Litchfield's video podcasts. If he can't bring himself to be even moderately neutral or at least objective then there really is no point. Its supposed to be about the phones, not all about him!

I must admit that I was questioning the design of the N70 keyboard, whats with putting that spacebar over there on the right? Haven't Nokia heard of ergonomics? Anyone used to a regular keyboard is going to have to adjust to the machine - it shouldn't be like that.

The "experience" is damaged from the outset!!
Old 26th June 2009, 09:43 PM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

Mhm. Everything I've read so far about the N97 has been negative WRT the keyboard. I don't have great hopes for it as a handset!
Old 26th June 2009, 09:52 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

A Nokia die-hard friend of mine has just taken delivery of his N97. I don't think I'll get to lay my mitts on it until next week though.

I want to find out about its touchscreen capabilities. Anyone can build a keyboard, even a not-so-good one! But touchscreen is where its at right now - and we're going to see it scaled up into Netbooks, Laptops and Tablets (without styli) in the not too distant future. These things enable gestures and that is where the general tech seems to be heading, mimicking what we do with our hands naturally.

In time I suppose we'll be able to use gestures mid-air and without having to touch the larger screens. But for handsets I can't see the direction going anywhere else. Fold-out keyboards and buttons will eventually give way to the glass
Old 26th June 2009, 10:02 PM
Not a slave to Spec

Very similar devices , But seems to me that one manufacturer has thought carefully about putting the best possible keyboard on the device , whereas the other has just chucked one on as an afterthought - Shame after some of the brilliant communicator keyboards !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg htc-touch-pro-2-live-11.jpg (38.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg nokia-n97-keyboard-2.jpg (27.9 KB, 2 views)

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode