Talk3G Mobile Phone Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews  

Go Back   Talk3G Mobile Phone Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews > Talk3G Handsets, OSs, and Other Devices > Netbook Zone

Netbook Zone Discussion of netbooks and ultraportable laptops with or without integrated 3G radios.

Old 7th September 2009, 06:41 PM
New to Talk3G

paulbds is on a distinguished road

Not too sure is wires are crossed here. I didn't top it up via my mobile phone, I topped it up via the dongle initially. I then place the SIM card in the Advent 4213. I can't get billed as it's PAYG. Whilst on the internet, I went to my£ and from there was able to check internet usage and Skype allowance (30 days).
Paul
Old 7th September 2009, 09:13 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

As far as I can tell, you should be able to pop the 3 SIM into the 4213 and go to My3 free of charge. But if you go to anywhere else before converting the top-up to a Mobile Broadband top-up then 3 will burn up your credit at some ridiculous rate per MB.

The Advent 4213 is a perfect little device for such a SIM. But I'd recommend forcing OpenDNS settings to try and avoid some of the pitfalls of 3's DNS
Old 8th September 2009, 06:52 PM
Talk3G Senior Contributor

gorilla has a spectacular aura aboutgorilla has a spectacular aura about

I've got my Advent working with the O2 iPhone PAYG card on jolicloud. Unlike windows 7, jolicloud seems to support this 'out of the box', you just have to turn the 3G card on and Jolicloud will then set up the rest.
The problem I have with this method is that despite O2 telling me I live in a really strong area (HSDPA) I only get GPRS or as iPhone users see o! So advent/jolicloud good - O2 bad.
Might have to take the advent out for a spin now, just to see if I can get 3G on O2. I have a couple of 3 sims that I'll check out as well, making sure to do as HandsOn states above.

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode