Talk3G Mobile Phone Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews  

Go Back   Talk3G Mobile Phone Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews > Talk3G Links to Other Sites and Resources > Other Technology & OT Discussion

Other Technology & OT Discussion Dedicated area for chat about other technologies and personal interests.

View Poll Results: Have you tried the following...
iDisk (Part of MobileMe) 4 80.00%
Dropbox 1 20.00%
SugarSync 1 20.00%
Other Cloud services.. 4 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th September 2009, 09:32 AM
Talk3G Reg

chagle will become famous soon enough
PostCloud Services.

I've started doing more research and using Cloud services more and more. I'd just be interested in your thoughts on the Cloud services that are available.

They are much improved compared at a year ago.

I've noticed iDisk has improved and currently have iDisk enabled on my Mac and seems to work very well - Still a little slow. It's also good to see the iDisk App on the iPhone available which I have tested.

I have tested with placing a file in my shared iDisk folder, it got Sync'ed then on the iPhone App shared it. A neat little email is sent to the recipient and .. hey, it just works!

I also use Dropbox which is going from strength to strength. What I do like about Dropbox is it integrates into Finder nicely, plus it's available on other platforms too. It's free too which a paid upgrade option.

I've been using Dropbox for a few months now with various 'Shared' folders with friends and family. It's so nice to be able to 'drop' a file into a share and it appears in your friends Dropbox - It's just neat!

(BTW, I have an refer-a-friend linky, we both get 250MB extra - PM me for info.. can't blame a bloke for trying. LOL)

I've also l looked at SugarSync - Has a few more features than Dropbox with it's own 'Manager Software' - But looks to be very powerful with the ability share/sync any folder. Again, there's a free version. Just a bit of a pain and a little bit more work involved as you need to use the Manager Software to set shares/sync folders up.

Overall, my vote goes to Dropbox - It's free and I like the fact it integrates into Finder Windows Explorer.

Would I trust my sensitive data in the Cloud? - Probably not, but they certainly do have their place.

Searching Google, you'll find many, many Cloud services but the same names keep popping up, namely, the above.

As they are free, it's worth checking them out. So for me, it's Dropbox and I certainly couldn't be without Evernote - For your 'Brain Dumps' :-)
Old 20th September 2009, 02:22 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with your quest chagle. An interesting one at this period in Internet history, possibly a pivotal point, or a completely irrelevant one. I'm not entirely sure in my own mind where this is all going.

An interesting resource for your delight could be Jolicloud's Blog here --> http://www.jolicloud.com/blog/ that lists a bundle of cloud apps that they are assimilating into their new Jolicloud OS for Netbooks. The blog itself is a handy resource of the best of breed (as defined by Jolicloud).

Soon we will have Chrome OS which will also be entirely reliant upon the cloud for its resources. More and more the emphasis is to move away from the independent computer.

I remain to be convinced - while I like the idea of cloud, I am concerned that the recipe for disaster is sewn. We do not [yet] have anything like the ubiquitous availability and affordability of mobile data networking to make cloud as viable as the disconnected PC.

I would hate to need a resource only to find that I cannot reach it because I am in a radio blackspot. And there are plenty of those around the UK, despite anything that the mobile network coverage maps will lie to you about.
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:00 AM
Talk3G Senior Contributor

gorilla has a spectacular aura aboutgorilla has a spectacular aura about

I've voted 'other' because I class google apps as being a cloud service and I couldn't survive without them now.

I have used many file sharing systems as well, but that is not something I do regularly so I have no particular favourite, although I did use SkyDrive yesterday!

While the cloud infrastrucutre may not quite be there yet, I would trust them with my data over the lay man any day of the week. Also I believe there is less chance of the cloud failing compared to my internal hard drive breaking. Maybe I'm naive
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:50 AM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

Indeed, I also use Google Apps (well, ish) and it's good. As a MobileMe user I also have iDisk, but I don't exactly use that much either - but I avail myself of all the other cloud-based services it includes.

Our banking software has moved to the cloud, though, and for anyone who's interested Barclay's corporate grade online banking solution (BIB) is now fully Mac compatible. Unless you want to use Safari in Snow Leopard =D

I think cloud based services are here to stay. They make more sense for some things than others, though.
Old 22nd September 2009, 07:05 PM
Talk3G Reg

chagle will become famous soon enough

I have to admit, I have just started using a few Google Apps - I do like them. Trouble is.. there's far too many things to play with now!

Mac, iPhone, Cloud Services, Google.. I really should give up work! Don't have time for it!

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode