Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews  

Go Back   Talk3G Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews > Talk3G UK Mobile Networks > Vodafone - 3G Handset and Mobile Broadband Services > Vodafone UK Customer Experiences

Vodafone UK Customer Experiences Report your experience of Vodafone UK, good or bad, here. Comment on other peoples experiences and offer help and advice.

Old 14th November 2006, 06:48 PM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to all
DefaultLinksys WRT54G3G Wireless-G Router for Vodafone 3G/UMTS Broadband

Well, I guess it was inevitable, but I finally bought myself the Wireless-G Router for Vodafone 3G/UMTS Broadband. After all, it's made by Linksys, so how could I resist?

Opening up the box was a little scary... the router was covered in tape sternly instructing me to use the included (Windows only) CD before attempting to use the router. Well, blow that I though, and hooked it up anyway. Surprise surprise the web interface was immediately available on 192.168.1.1 and the CD landed in a heap of junk at the same time

Now, my Vodafone card is the HSDPA one from Huwuaaiai1i1iia (Huawei). Given that the router is from a time where only the 3G Connect datacard from Option existed I wasn't optimistic (or should that be Optionistic) about the chances of it working. I inserted the card with the router turned on and, indeed, nothing happened for a little while. I switched the power off and back on again and much to my delight everything connected and away I went - without so much as a firmware update which is quite an achievement for Linksys.

There's really nothing more to say. It just works and now I have a network capable of speeds of up to 1.8mbps (I can't verify this, no HSDPA here yet) that I can fit in my bag! The router includes QoS and doles out IP's and DNS settings via the integrated DHCP server. There's a setting to keep the connection alive or drop it when idle, and an Internet port should you wish to also make use of a cabled connection when it's a available.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3193
Old 14th November 2006, 11:51 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

That is an exciting little box, I wish it were around when we did the HSBC construction project at Canary Wharf (thats the big one with HSBC writted large on the top ). The use of BT landlines and modems was atrocious, even the temporary terrestrial data link got the chop occasionally at the hands of the contstruction (that should be destruction) labourers.

I can see very many applications for the Linksys and wonder how many get sold. With today's 3G data costs coming down all of the time it has to be a very viable proposition compared to a few years ago.

Marvelous
Old 15th November 2006, 12:27 AM
T3G Super Mod

3g-g is a name known to all3g-g is a name known to all3g-g is a name known to all3g-g is a name known to all3g-g is a name known to all3g-g is a name known to all

What locks the box to just Vodafone data card use? Could another operators version be used?
Old 15th November 2006, 11:10 AM
Talk3G Admin

Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

I believe the firmware would include certain restrictions, but I've read around the web that users have successfully had this product working on other networks also.

It's a really interesting piece of kit. I should probably set up some overnight downloading on it to try and pop a flag at Vodafone that the area is ripe for HSDPA
Old 20th November 2006, 12:12 PM
New to Talk3G

pompeydaz is on a distinguished road

Hello there people. I'm new here, so good day to you all !!

Quick question......I'm looking to use this product in a bit of a unique environment. I look after the IT for a fleet of ships who all have 3G/GPRS connections.
I want to set up a basic network with access to the internet, and this product looks ideal. They are however using Orange Option Globetrotter cards.

Has anybody got this router to work with Orange or indeed any other network besides Vodafone ?

Cheers,

Daz

Old 20th November 2006, 06:27 PM
Talk3G Admin

Hey Daz, welcome to Talk3G

I'm afraid I don't have another card to be able to try this for you, but as it's an Option card the router should, hopefully, have drivers for it.

However, according to expansys the unit is SIM locked to Vodafone.
Old 20th November 2006, 11:15 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Hands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to beholdHands0n is a splendid one to behold

Hey Daz, get one on "sale or return" or simply use the Distance Selling Regulations to allow you to assess one within 14 days of purchase. So long as you get a Returns number from the seller before their statutory time has elapsed you'll be okay to try one out - but don't damage the unit or as they say in the china shops "if its broke its yours"
Old 21st November 2006, 07:55 AM
New to Talk3G

Cheers Ben/HandsOn,

I just went and ordered one yesterday anyway. Hopefully it should arrive today.
As soon as I get it and whack the Orange card in I'll let you all know how I get on if anyone's interested ?
Old 21st November 2006, 08:10 AM
Talk3G Super Mod

Ho yes, we are always interested in such things. Do indeed let us know what the outcome was and also you objective and subjective opinion on the product. Certainly it is a unique and exciting device. Go gadget go
Old 21st November 2006, 08:12 AM
Talk3G Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
However, according to expansys the unit is SIM locked to Vodafone.
One has to wonder how on earth [and why even] Linksys would do that with a device that is not the actual mobile network apparatus (i.e. its the PCMCIA card that is the "mobile device" and not the router itself). I'd have thought that Linksys would be agnostic to the mobile network itself! Daz's experience will be of telling interest here
Old 21st November 2006, 08:21 AM
New to Talk3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands0n View Post
Ho yes, we are always interested in such things. Do indeed let us know what the outcome was and also you objective and subjective opinion on the product. Certainly it is a unique and exciting device. Go gadget go
Fear not, I shall return with news.

When i first saw this device come on the market (ooer) it looked like something that I could put to great use one day out on our fleet of fine marine vessels. Now the opportunity has arisen to put it into active service, I just hope the buffoons at LinkSys have not done some mad boffin trickery to make it unable to work with networks besides fecking Vodafone !!
I dont want to have to turn up at LinkSys HQ and open up a can of whoop-ass !!
Old 21st November 2006, 12:56 PM
New to Talk3G

Right then,

The thing turned up today. All Vodafone branded (not the device itself, but the box and CD). Followed the instructions and logged onto the router. The homepage is Vodafone branded also.
Plugged in my Orange card. The router detected the card fine.

Problem : the router was set to Vodafone UK by default. There is an option to manual select the network. I chose this option, but lo and behold all the choices are Vodafone or partners from the rest of the world !!

So no joy with the device "out of the box".

So I thought, sod it, I'll call LinkSys and ask for a firmware update or summat as its obviously coded in to restrict it.
The dude on the phone tells me it will only work with Vodafone, so unlucky.
I had a little search around and noticed that the device is available in other countries without Vodafone branding.

I then decided to go to the LinkSys Australia website and download the latest firmware release from there and see what happened.

BINGO !! I updated the firmware, and all of a sudden the router recognised the Orange network. All I then had to do was manually enter the APN settings (orangeinternet) and I was away.

Had it working in 5 mins with wireless and wired simultaneously, and also with a couple of laptops using a Cisco VPN client to connect to our corporate network.

Looks good, works well. Why the feck they can't unlock it for other mobile networks is beyond me, I think they'd sell a load of these boxes....
Old 21st November 2006, 02:57 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

Excellent stuff you ole hacker you I reckon you'd get yourself a good sideline in installing and commissioning these in yer neck of the woods.

It does seem rather amazing that the official line in Europe is that it is a Vodafone-only device. Thats like Linksys making an AOL-only router, how mad would that be.

Congrats on an amazing bit of detective work and identifying a working set of code from Linksys Australia - I guess you was never going to give up LOL

I presume that you're getting the 3G data speeds you'd anticipate, around the 400Kps mark, or are you getting Orange HSDPA where you are? And if so, at what speeds is the Linksys reporting?

I so wish we'd had this technology five years ago, even with 2G/2.5G it would have solved a lot of problems on the building construction project I was involved in. Now, I'd have no hesitation recommending such a solution, even if it was just on Vodafone ....

An excellent result.
Old 21st November 2006, 03:11 PM
T3G Super Mod

3g-g is a name known to all3g-g is a name known to all3g-g is a name known to all3g-g is a name known to all3g-g is a name known to all3g-g is a name known to all

Top stuff fella, well done!

Now I think you should get some instructions and links on where you went / what you did onto this thread as I imagine there'll be quite a few folk that find this post looking at the Linksys solution for their 3G network needs... and now we know that any networks data card can be used they'll fly off the shelves!
Old 21st November 2006, 03:47 PM
New to Talk3G

Right.
Here's what I did.

Download the firmware from here :

http://www-au.linksys.com/servlet/Sa...VisitorWrapper

Use the yellow cable to connect your PCs ethernet port to one of the ethernet ports on the router.

Turn the router on and in your browser log on to the router (192.168.1.1). Default username and password is admin and admin.

Go to Administration --> Config Management - create a backup of the configuration in case it all goes Pete Tong !!

Then go to Firmware Upgrade and point to the file you downloaded earlier.

You should now be able to connect to the Orange network.

Go to Setup and you should see the Orange network. Now go to Setup -->3G/UMTS Network. Change the APN Selection Mode to "Custom Values" and enter the APN name "orangeinternet" and select "DNS Supplied by Network".

Bish bash bosh. That's about it I think. Obviously do any tweaks you so desire and obviously bolt down your Wireless security !!

Phew !! Mine's a pint of Kronie with a JD chaser, cheers !!

ps - I'm pretty sure it was the Australian firmware, but if not it was definitely one of the other English speaking ones !! There's not too many to choose from !!
Old 21st November 2006, 04:02 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

See? You thought you were coming on Talk3G for all of the answers, and we got you working for us instead LOL

Cheers for that most superb write-up. I'm absolutely sure that others will make good benefit from it.

Once the data tariffs come down to more affordable levels, and HSDPA becomes the norm I can see this router becoming a staple device for those in rented accommodation or students - typically those who move around quite a bit and for whom fixed line broadband will not be a viable solution. This gives them an alternative to the traditional 56Kbps dial-up that they'd be tethered to. If I were in that position [and at this time] I'd certainly be using the likes of T-Mobile's Web N Walk Plus or Max (depending on my requirements). To be able to do so with the Linksys and a T-Mobile data card would untether me from the landline broadband solution. The tariffs need to come down for data for such a notion to become the norm though, and I do believe that the mobile network operators are just beginning to see the light!!
Old 21st November 2006, 04:24 PM
New to Talk3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands0n View Post
See? You thought you were coming on Talk3G for all of the answers, and we got you working for us instead LOL
Damn you.

Hope the info is of use anyway.
Old 21st November 2006, 06:51 PM
Talk3G Admin

Thank you very much, pompeydaz++!

Do stick around and keep us up to date with your adventures
Old 23rd January 2007, 11:01 PM
New to Talk3G

smartphonedoctor is on a distinguished road
DefaultWRT54G3G on t-mobile - success

Hi, I thought I would register and tell my success story since it was this forum thread that made me research the topic.

I bought a Linksys WRT54G3G from Amazon, and already had a web and walk data card (its a t-mobile branded option 3G/UMTS plus wifi card) with a flat 17 pounds per month ex vat 2GB usage policy. Thats a lot of data I thought to myself so i wondered if I could use it with the WRT54G3G for when Im travelling for simplicity and for when at home as extra kids surfing bandwidth.....

I was successful. I wrote it up fully with screen shots at my website, but I didnt want to advertise the URL here so here is a summary.

Suffice it to say that the comments in the thread above helped a lot.

All I needed was the t-mobile APN settings and an unlocked Vodafone 3G card. Note that the t-mobile card was not recognised by the Linksys router. Also my work Vodafone Quad 3G card didnt work but it was locked to Voda so I cant be sure it was anything to do with the card.

What did work was the unlocked original Vodafone Option 3G Data Card (not the quad) I bought from ebay. I updated its firmware to latest and it worked more or less first time!

The Linksys WRT54G3G from Amazon UK had the latest firmware pre installed. It wasnt necessary to download the aussie firmware listed above.

It works beautifully. Its also a blazing 54G router too!

Thanks all for the clues above.

smartphonedoctor.
Old 23rd January 2007, 11:33 PM
Talk3G Super Mod

@smartphonedoctor - Welcome to Talk3G and thank you for the excellent feedback. If and when the major mobile operators release user-friendly Data Tariffs (T-Mobile struck a wonderful lead with their Web N Walk as you've already mentioned) I do think that things like the Linksys WRT54G3G will become somewhat mainstream for those who do not get on with fixed-line communications.

It is good to see your experience and additional information that will be of use to those who want to follow in the footsteps.

Nice one

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode