QuoteOriginally Posted by Hands0n View Post
What? You mean like the Government intends to by compelling all service providers (including mobile network operators) to retain for two years all data pertaining to a users' activity. Current mobile technology, without the benefit of AGPS, is reasonably accurate, sufficient to place you within a town, and probably within one or two streets of where you actually are! Imagine that audit trail being brought out by the legal compliance industry (Police, local councils, DVLA, Home Office, CPS and no end of other agencies) in any malicious prosecution of an individual?

Add AGPS to that equation and they get you to within a few tens of feet of where you actually were!!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread but the tech does raise all manner of disturbing Orwellian consequences, intended or otherwise.

viNe, on the face of it, seems a bit of fun technology, I could imagine some novel uses of it such as strapping a mobile on the moggy to see what it gets up to in its day (bugger all if you knew my specimen of felinekind).
Yup its quite scary, even google maps on N95 can place you to within 2100 meters within seconds just using cell info, depending on where you are it could probably place you a lot closer. And thats just a publicly available app, I'm sure governments have more more acurate means.

I think theres a long future in location aware apps and services like viNe, but like someone already said they need to be able to appeal to the mainstream before they really become worthwhile, as most have little more than novelty value.