• Show Printable Version
    • Email this Page…
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Linear Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

The lad had enough, he finally cracked and brought his Orange-branded Desire round tonight to let the old Pa do the deed

Creating the Gold Card was easy enough. Just for safety I re-created one using his HTC Desire - the last thing we want is to brick the handset and give me another 24 hours work to get it back!

Running the RUU file we encountered a problem when the handset booted to the bootloader - it came up on the handset but the PC reported a USB connection fault! We tried several different things but none worked. More research required ....

Long story short, we needed to install HTC Sync software that loads up a ton of USB drivers and stuff into the PC. Having done that, we started up HTC Sync and then ran the RUU which went through its motions and completed successfully. Within about ten minutes the update to Bravo ROM 1.15.405.4 was completed.
    Software%20Info.png Home%20Screen.png
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

kdub87
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles
    kdub87 is offlineNew to Talk3G kdub87 is on a distinguished road

i hope you can help me, iv been having the same usb connection error all night, at the end of my tether hope you can help, what steps did u take exactly?

Blog Entries

Hi @kdub87, welcome to Talk3G.

You should install HTC Sync - it should have been in the root of your Desire SD Card. If not you can download a copy from HTC's support page here http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportViewNew...33&news_id=627

Then install HTC Sync, start it up, and then plug in your HTC Desire - wait for it to be recognised by HTC Sync (watch the app's status bar until it says that the handset is connected).

At this point I am not sure if you should shut down HTC Sync or not. I left it running and then went to Windows Explorer and navigated to the location where I had stored the RUU file. I then double-clicked the RUU file, answered the dialogue boxes and then it set about installing the RUU. First the Radio is installed, then a reboot of the handset following which the main Android OS will be installed. Another reboot and the handset will come up in the unbranded generic HTC Bravo firmware.

I would suggest perhaps rebooting your PC before doing any of the above - just to remove any "stuff" that may be hanging around in memory.

Hope this helps. Do let us know

kdub87
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

tried all of that :s dying to just enjoy it but i cant until this is done as anything i install and configure will be lost when i eventually succeed lol soo frustrated

Blog Entries

What exact error are you getting?

kdub87
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • View Blog Entries
    • View Articles

error 171 usb connection error, think its something to do with my drivers, im on windows 7 also

Blog Entries

Yup, thats what I was getting. It is most definitely a drivers problem. When the handset reboots to the bootloader the Windows 7 PC needs to have the correct drivers available for the USB connection to re-establish. Prior to installing HTC Sync Windows 7 was using some generic drivers for the SD Card and the SDK drivers for the comms to the handset with its OS running. But when bootloader loads it presents itself as yet another USB device - I noticed that the first time (after I'd installed HTC Sync) as the bootloader screen came up the Windows 7 PC installed yet another set of drivers for the "new" USB device.

I think you're very close - there is going to be some combination of having HTC Sync running at the same time as you're performing the RUU installer, or not.

I did my work on a Windows 7 Netbook (Samsung NC10), so I guess we're doing this on pretty close comparison of hardware and OS.

+ Reply to Thread