Thread: MacBook Air Rev C lives on

Blog Entries

Default MacBook Air Rev C lives on

I popped one of our MacBook Air's (the Rev C one with the rather nice nVidia board, as opposed to the Intel stuff in my Rev A) into ServiceWeb yesterday due to the hinge breaking. Seems Apple have documented a weakness in the hinge for this revision and, as I expected, it was no problem getting it repaired. I think Apple limit replacements at 3 years, but I think I was a few days within AppleCare still anyway. Got the text today to say parts were ordered.

They replace the whole screen (I assume including top case). On a three-year-old machine that'll be a rather nice bonus!

You know, since my CD Mac Mini circa 2006 (first Mac) which still runs now, I don't think we've lost a single Mac? Had the odd repair but they're all still running. Bought about 30 since 2006...
    Last edited by Ben; 30th March 2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Rephrased!

Blog Entries

I had a similar occurance with my Rev A (now sold !) - only I didn't drop it , I closed it one day and it made a loud crack ! I had the same treatment with new top case and screen which meant the only visable bit of my old MBA was the bottom panel !) Mine was well out of warranty too , but Apple have acknowledged this as a known fault.

In fact , I find pretty much all Apple notebook hinges seem a little flimsy. the 17" MBP I bought off ebay had a faulty one , the replacement body I transplanted its brain into is working fine and how it should be , but doesn't instill me with confidence. While I would never recommend picking up a laptop by its screen , the
    As I say seems to be a running theme with Apple notebooks.

Blog Entries

Sorry, no, that's the same as mine - just realised what a bad choice of words I used!

Oh god yeah I wouldn't dream of picking up an Apple notebook by the screen - the unibody aluminium base on this thing would rip straight off! The *only* thing I could pick this MBP up on is the plastic back of the hinge... it doesn't feel as 'durable' as everything else. When I carry it under my arm I even try and clasp the opening side rather than the hinge side so I'm not putting all the weight of the laptop upon it.

Those early MBA hinges were pretty weak though. Still, for Apple (who have done some interesting things over the years re: screwing things up!) the MacBook Air was remarkably polished.