QuoteOriginally Posted by gorilla View Post
Will 4G just ensure I can use mobile data when and how I want it without any silly restrictions on bandwidth?
Oh no chance. Caps should go up, but I'll bet not by much!

Do we need 4G?

I think that question is hard to answer right now, because we don't know what will be 'invented' to take advantage of low latency, high bandwidth mobile connectivity when it arrives. Will consumer cloud computing finally take off, something akin to the Google Chromebook? VoIP may make massive gains, as everything is set to be packet switched instead of circuit switched as it is now. Even SMS could start to change.

I think you have a point WRT 3G and coverage. If everyone was blasting out 3G900 and running HSPA+ networks at 42Mbps then we'd probably have all we could need for a while longer. But perhaps 4G and bigger bandwidth caps will finally allow us to use mobile connections as if we were at home - liberalising us to access cloud based music and movies without even caring what type of network we're currently connected to.

For 4G to be successful it needs to be everywhere. 3G has been a coverage catastrophe IMHO, and it's only now, in its last throws, that it is becoming a worthwhile proposition.